Ride the High Country Reviews

• 6d ago

RANDOLPH SCOTT! 1st 90 minutes slow.

RANDOLPH SCOTT! 1st 90 minutes slow.

• Dec 03, 2020

McCrea and Scott are brilliant as aging (aged?) gunslingers. Peckinpah surely drew on this film when he made 'The Wild Bunch'. McCrea's best performance of his career.

• Nov 21, 2020

Ride the High Country, set in the early years of the 20th century, is Sam Peckinpah's ode to the death of the old west and, perhaps more importantly, the end of the traditional Hollywood western. Joel McRae and Randolph Scott, stars of the genre for several decades, essentially made their swan songs in the film before westerns became more stylized and certainly, thanks to Peckinpah's later films, more graphic and bloody. Ride the High Country is hindered by a cloying score and a story that regularly loses focus and drifts away from the central plot, but remains an entertaining film thanks in large part to the performances of Scott and McCrae.

• Jul 15, 2020

I liked that it shows Peckinpah's incipient interests in honour, the fading Old West, age, and self-sacrifice but I was a little frustrated with the tangent involving the trashy gold-miners (like, they're not nice people, we get it already) and would have appreciated more of the natural beauty that there was too little of.

• Jun 03, 2020

Legendary film director, Sam Peckinpah directs Western film legends, Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in this magnificent Western adventure filmed on location in the Inyo National Forest near Bishop, California. Scott and McCrea are two aging lawmen hired to guard a gold shipment, and rescue a beautiful mistreated bride from a family of gun-blazing brothers. Both Scott and McCrea are at their best in their seperate careers, along with beautiful scenery photographed by cinematographer, Lucien Ballard, and flawless performances. Also starring Mariette Hartley, Ronald Starr, Edgar Buchanan, R.G. Armstrong, James Drury, John Anderson, L.Q. Jones, Warren Oates, John Davis Chandler, Jenie Jackson, Percy Helton, Byron Foulger, Michael T. Mikler & Frank Hagney. This was Randolph Scott's last film. Randolph Scott died on March 2, 1987.

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Oct 07, 2019

Randolph Scott and Joel McCrea in Peckinpah's elegiac insight as to what the end of the old Wild West might've been like for two guys who lived through the taming of it, now reduced to acting as mere security guards, expendable, protecting enough money for them to retire on - only to earn peanuts themselves. Mariette Hartley shines as the possessor of the only thing rarer than gold in the Old West: virginity.

• Jul 27, 2019

one of the greatest westerns seen yet

one of the greatest westerns seen yet

• Feb 21, 2019

First rate western with great ending.

First rate western with great ending.

• Jan 26, 2019

The best Western movie ever made!

The best Western movie ever made!

• Oct 09, 2017

Ride the High Country is a gripping story about a trio of men who take a job transporting some gold for a bank through dangerous territory. Perhaps the most remarkable part about the movie is the fact that we have a ticking time bomb that is set up early and you never know when it’s going to go off. That promise of betrayal builds tension into each scene and colors every moment that we see the heroes bonding. I thought the structure of the film was surprisingly good. There were a few moments where I found myself wondering why the story had taken a detour, but then it would pay off later and you’d realize that those moments were crucial. I definitely applaud this movie for having a strong script, and not feeling like every other Western. The flaw in Ride the High Country was the acting (or at least the line delivery.) I don’t know what was happening but so much of the dialogue sounds wooden. Even Joel McCrea (who is an actor I have enjoyed in other things) has some lines that sound over-rehearsed and unnatural. There also seemed to be a fair amount of ADR in the movie which didn’t help at all. The looped dialogue didn’t sound right any time it happened and it was super obvious. Otherwise I thought there was a lot to like in Ride the High Country. It’s one of the more interesting films I’ve seen in the genre because it calls into question the morality of the heroes, and your opinion of them keeps going up and down. I’m anxious to watch it again sometime and see if I can get past my struggle with the acting to just enjoy the strong story.