Rumble Fish - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rumble Fish Reviews

July 16, 2016
Apparently Coppola had lost some focus after Apocalypse Now, for he began put philosophical gravity into wrong subjects.
½ April 22, 2016
So-so story but I guess that visual was such a thing back then.
January 1, 2016
I saw this probably 20yrs ago on VHS a small TV, so it was nice seeing it again in HD on a larger TV to really enjoy the stunning cinematography. This was the 2nd film Coppola released in 19083 based on a S.E. Hinton book, after "The Outsiders" and both starred Matt Dillon. This one also features Nic Cage, Diane Lane, Laurence Fishburne, Tom Wait, Dennis Hopper and a great performance from a young Mickey Rourke. I quite liked this one, it was certainly elevated by the performances and cinematography, and I also really liked the score by Stewart Copeland. Worth checking out!
October 25, 2015
The characters in Rumble Fish are relics of the past, the last remaining stragglers from a period of large-scale gang violence who now sit around all day looking for any excuse to relive what they either experienced or have heard about from their older siblings. Rusty James leads this group, a young teenager hiding his own insecurities and feelings of inferiority towards his older brother behind empty bravado; this is the main idea Rumble Fish deals with, the nature of urban youth carrying out violence simply due to their proximity to each other and their relationships with previous generations. Coppola creates an industrial, expressionistic world for these characters to live in, a sweltering pressure-cooker that forces violence out of its bored inhabitants photographed in black and white and directed in a kinetic, experimental style. This provides compelling context, elevating what is essentially a standard "we've got to get out of this town" story.
August 23, 2015
Rumble Fish is shot beautifully and is cast well, but unfortunately, these isn't enough to make it entertaining. It fell pretty flat for me....like a poor man's "Outsiders." Sometimes, when a writer hits gold, it's a fluke. It seems like that is the difference between Outsiders and Rumble Fish.
August 19, 2015
Brilliant. Just classic.
August 10, 2015
Uncomfortably pretentious.
April 26, 2015
An amazing movie that stayed true to an amazing book. Both very well written! Excellent casting choices!
½ April 11, 2015
This is a the parts are greater than the whole.......memorable in bits and parts.
April 11, 2015
An OK, but not great, Francis Ford Coppola movie.

Had the makings of a great story, but wasn't entirely coherent, or completely formed. Seemed contrived at times and basically didn't flow entirely well. Still, interesting enough.

Probably the highlight of the movie is all the appearances of current-day stars, before they were stars: Matt Dillon, Mickey Rourke, Nicolas Cage (Francis Ford Coppola's nephew), Diane Lane, Chris Penn, Laurence Fishburne. Coppola's daughter Sophia gets a minor role, and there is a minor appearance by Tom Waits. Dennis Hopper is the only then-known-actor in the cast. All give good performances.
½ April 3, 2015
RUMBLE FISH is probably one of the less-seen films in Francis Ford Coppola's oeuvre, but I found it to be an eminently watchable, artsy gem that has a great sense of mood and style. The story revolves around Rusty James (Matt Dillon), a troubled teenager who finds it difficult living up to the reputation of his smarter older brother (Mickey Rourke). The main message I took from the film is that we too often look up to people for the wrong reasons, or idealize them without having a true sense of who they are. RUMBLE FISH explores youth through a dystopian lens, and Coppola conjures up dreamlike, occasionally borderline surreal, imagery to escort us through Rusty James' world. The film is in black and white, with a few instances of color for emphasis. Stylistically, this was a kind of cross between film noir, WEST SIDE STORY and a Michael Jackson video. In particular, an early fight sequence between Rusty and another character evoked the climactic fight in WEST SIDE STORY. In general, there was this balletic quality to the way the characters moved. When combined with Coppola's eloquent cinematography and an eclectic score, the effect is often hypnotic and always engrossing. That being said, the story itself meanders a bit too much and most of the performances (by young actors) were rather rough around the edges. Of course, part of that could have something to do with how the dialogue was post-synced. But still, RUMBLE FISH ranks pretty high among the most visually interesting films I've ever seen, even if the story and performances leave a bit to be desired.
March 26, 2015
The tittle speaks for itself...
One word BEST...
½ February 28, 2015
Attempt at style but little substance in adaptation of S.E. Hinton's book. Coppola did better with THE OUTSIDERS. Not much to really concern yourself with in Rusty James and his aloof older brother; Dennis Hopper typecast (again) as a drunk. Diane Lane, however, looks great.
January 20, 2015
i seen this film I just like the color of the film I like micky rourke as a young actor I like the story I haven't read the book yet I am planning on to but this movie is amazing francis ford is a amazing director
December 21, 2014
Drink every time someone says "Rusty James."
December 14, 2014
I had a bad feeling about this film when everytime somebody spoke to Rusty-James in the first 15 minutes they 1, used his silly name in every sentance and 2, refused to abbreviate it. I found this to be stupid and unrealistic. Fortunately, this was the only major thing that annoyed me. It turned out to be quite a deep film. Anybody who was raving about the one flash of colour in Schindlers list obviously hadn't seen this film first.
December 13, 2014
I know most critics prefer "The Outsiders" to this film in director Francis Ford Coppola's two film adaptations of S.E. Hinton novels, but I've always liked "Rumble Fish" far better between the two. There is a level of prevention to the film (shot in black & white, surreal elements, heavy handed symbolism, and lots of characters pontificating), but I have to say that this film works for me and I'd put it up there with Coppola's best films, which is saying something considering his filmography ("Apocalypse Now!" "The Godfather," etc.). The story here is set in Hinton's usual world to street toughs. Matt Dillion is the leader of his gang, mostly based upon his older brother's legendary status from when he led the gang. Mickey Rourke plays the older brother, The Motorcycle Boy. One character described him as, "He's like royalty in exile." Rourke is perfectly cast in the part as a handsome, charismatic but troubled young man and Dillion is equally good as Rusty James, doing everything he can to live up to his brother's reputation but nowhere as smart or charismatic. There are a number of subplots involving Diane Lane as Dillon's girlfriend, Nick Cage as his buddy, a cop who's out to get The Motorcycle Boy (played by my all-time favorite character actor, William Smith) and the boys relationship with their alcoholic father, Dennis Hopper, and hints about what happened to their mother. Coppola strikes a wonderful balance between filming a universe thats' as visually rich as any Fellini film, but also manages to give the film a heart by shaping some well drawn characters and very strong performances that are among the best in any of his films. Many other famous faces populate this desolate landscape including Vincent Spano, Chris Penn, Laurence (billed as Larry here) Fishburne, Tom Waits, Tracey Walter and even S.E. Hinton herself as a hooker. Stephen H. Burum also gets huge props for some of the best black and white photography done outside of the golden age of Hollywood. Composer Stewart Copeland, and ex-member of The Police, also delivers one of my all-time favorite filmscores, mixing industrial sounds of the big city into the music itself to a wonderful effect. I will admit that this film is full of self important pretentious that turned off many critics, but I think the writing and strong performances give it a heart, as compared to most Fellini films (outside of "La Strada") which were strong on visuals and overt symbolism. For whatever reason, the pretensions don't get to me and I love this film. The passage of time of time being a major theme, one of my favorite moments is form a passing character, Benny, played by Tom Waits, states, "Time is a funny thing. Time is a very peculiar item. You see when you're young, you're a kid, you got time, you got nothing but time. Throw away a couple of years, a couple of years there... it doesn't matter. You know. The older you get you say, "Jesus, how much I got? I got thirty-five summers left." Think about it. Thirty-five summers."
½ November 29, 2014
A waste of my valuable leisure time which would of been better served sleeping. I had guests over and we chose it because someone heard it was a good movie. It wasn't.
Rateing - 1 star = less fun than a Deep Frying machine infomercial. I want my two hours of my life back