Saturday Night Fever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saturday Night Fever Reviews

September 5, 2017
Only seen first 10 mins of this one, but loved how John Travolta does his little cool dude walk with the bee gee's 'Stayin Alive' playing haha
August 31, 2017
Saturday Night Fever is a movie phenomenon not for its screenplay, cast or photography but the Bee Gees inspired disco soundtrack.
The shrieking notes of several Bee Gees songs are featured throughout as well as several other recognisable tracks that they wrote.
The disco 'phenomenon' was a blink and you'll miss it era during the late 1970s and this film epitomized that era.
Starring John Travolta as Italian-American teenager Tony Manero. Travolta's dance moves and disco wear have featured in several other films and have been the forefront of 'dad' dancing on dancefloors everywhere!
It was interesting to watch the film to see the costumes. Very memorable scenes. Travolta wouldn't be able to fit into them now.
The first two thirds of the film are pretty moribund and I only found some resemblance of storyline in the final act of the film. A storyline focusing on Manero's troubled New York City family life, questionable love interests and friends.
A good portrait of the era but a film I am unlikely to seek out again if I am honest.
August 12, 2017
My favorite John Travolta movie
½ July 24, 2017
"Saturday Night Fever" puede considerarse como la película que capturó el espíritu hedonista de la década de los 70.

Basada en un artículo periodístico de la revista New York titulado "Ritos Tribales del Nuevo Sábado en la Noche", cuenta la historia de Tony Manero, un joven de 19 años de edad y de ascendencia italiana, quien trabaja vendiendo pintura en una ferretería en Brooklyn. En las noches de los sábados, Manero acude a la discoteca local donde es todo un campeón a la hora de bailar música Disco.

El atractivo de John Travolta, la ambientación y la espectacular banda sonora, hacen de esta película el equivalente de lo que fueron "Rebel Without a Cause" e "Easy Rider" en décadas anteriores. Todo un clásico generacional.

P.d. Existen dos versiones: la original de 119 minutos, llena de lenguaje vulgar y situaciones sexuales y la versión censurada, de 108 minutos, que debe evitarse a toda costa, así como la horrible secuela de 1983 llamada "Staying Alive" y dirigida por Sylvester Stallone.
June 29, 2017
With David & Yuhan (2013/11/15)
June 22, 2017
Saturday Night Fever (1977) C-118m. ??? D: John Badham. John Travolta, Karen Lynn Gorney, Barry Miller, Joseph Cali, Paul Pape. Slice of life about grappling teen who gets nowhere except at the dance floor. Travolta is excellent, and film surprisingly moving; unfairly labeled as only a "disco film". That being said, this film gives a credible representation of quite an embarrassing moment in the development of music. Soundtrack by the Bee Gees, other artists included. Only complaint: overuse of the f word. Followed by a sequel--STAYING ALIVE (1983).
May 30, 2017
Like most people today (and even in 1977 when it was released), I derided Saturday Night Fever without actually having seen it. Most people assume it to be nothing more than a soundtrack vehicle. Fortunately, that's not the case. This is actually an extremely good and well-made film, as well one of John Travolta's best performances. Yes, the music is great, but it's the film itself that's the real ballgame here. Not only is it a great snapshot of New York in the 70's, but it's also one of the best "growing up" films out there. Most films like that are sanitized, and this one isn't. It's gritty & raw, and character-driven to the hilt. Surprisingly, it's fast-becoming one of my top ten favorites films. It's definitely worth checking out.
½ May 4, 2017
Saturday Night Fever is a stupendous movie. Thanks to its terrific attention to detail, great cinematography and a killer soundtrack filled with great disco hits, it succeeds as a strong musical. However, it is in the drama department where the film shines through as its characters are very strong and their issues are so well explored. From promiscuity and abortion to frustration with your current life to the parents' selfish expectations for their children, this is one surprisingly thoughtful and clever script. Couple that with its many highly emotional rewarding scenes and you've got one of the best films from this period.
½ April 24, 2017
There's some amazing stuff in here that makes it somewhat the classic it is but at the same time just awful cheesey 70s stuff that kind of drags it down more than charms it, especially the ending. Regardless, I like how the film is more about a mood than a plot and it's definitely influential to a lot of similar films in the 80s, 90s that are very memorable such as Boogie Nights, Swingers.
½ March 19, 2017
I watched it on a very sad saturday night at home, so maybe my judge was influenced by the situation, but anyway, the only interesting part I found was John Travolta Dancing in the Odyessey 2001. Everything else was useless, pointless and forgettable.
½ February 24, 2017
Saturday Night Fever has a very dumb story, but it boasts well with the dance sequences and John Travolta's iconic performance
½ February 2, 2017
What kinda ending was that!!!
January 24, 2017
Saturday Night Fever is my absolute favourite! When people think of the movie, they think of polyester, dance moves and the incredible soundtrack, but that's not all there is to it.

The movie is harsh. The feeling it portrays is imposing, It's angst is strangely relatable. The themes are not subtle but neither was the era.

The movie kills!
January 7, 2017
A slice of life in the mid 70s. Classic.
December 29, 2016
First. Don't watch the PG version. You have to watch the original. The PG version takes the edge away and the attraction of the movie is its edginess. So just don't. I'm not going to give a scene by scene review but will try to express how this movie felt based on the culture of the time. Disco was taking over. Rock was dead. Except to "us". Us being my close circle of friends and our girlfriends. We were the Rock version of Tony and friends. I saw, we saw, Sat. night Fever in 1977 at a theater in Vestavia called The Pitcher show. Yea, Pitcher show. Cause they had great beer prices by the pitcher. Plus really good food. Which was nice. Cause when you are high you gotta have something to eat. Right? And on Sat night we always were. High, I mean. And drunk. I was 16 at the time. Some who have not seen the movie until now probably watch it and think "what B.S. there is no way that this could even be close to real". Well, I'm telling you that it is. Actually, the film makers held back a lot. Didn't really make a big deal out of drugs. And the Disco scene was fueled by drugs. And a lot of them. Think Tony Manero was a parody? There was a Tony Manero in every disco in America at the time. Think there is racism(an overused term IMO)? The "racism" depicted was under represented also. People used terms for other races and cultures matter of factly. Didn't consider it racist. The races didn't mix. And didn't want to or see a need to. As for Annette, Tony's sometimes dance partner and side piece. Yes, she is a sad, broken and pitiful character. But Annette existed. And exists today. But you can't talk about it now. Or judge. Nope. Annette just needs some Zoloft, maybe monthly therapy and short stay in rehab. And what is it with these later reviewers calling the Gang bang Annette got "Gang rape"? She consented. Hell she did more than consent, she invited it. Saturday Night Fever is a realistic, if slightly softened version of the mid-late seventies. If the viewer thinks it is shocking or crass, well. The 70's club/party culture was shocking and crass. If you didn't live it you can get a glimpse of it by watching this movie.
½ November 1, 2016
A movie that is much deeper than I expected it to be. It's far more than dancing, and Travolta delivers a great performance. It's a bit long and drags at points but overall very enjoyable
October 24, 2016
Dancing, disco inferno, handsome Travolta and a great soundtrack. What else do you want!
October 17, 2016
70's never dying classic. Kind of movie you won't see these days when political correctness is ahead of realism.
July 24, 2016
gr8 another lost review
July 5, 2016
I first viewed this movie when I was 11 years old. I was infactuated with John Travolta. His dancing, and the music are great. As a grown woman I find John Travolta's character and his friends to be repulsive narcissists and rapests. The women who crawled after him disgust me as well! No self respect! When I was 11 this movie was 5 stars as an adult its two stars that I attribute to the music and dancing.