Saturday Night Fever - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saturday Night Fever Reviews

January 7, 2017
A slice of life in the mid 70s. Classic.
December 29, 2016
First. Don't watch the PG version. You have to watch the original. The PG version takes the edge away and the attraction of the movie is its edginess. So just don't. I'm not going to give a scene by scene review but will try to express how this movie felt based on the culture of the time. Disco was taking over. Rock was dead. Except to "us". Us being my close circle of friends and our girlfriends. We were the Rock version of Tony and friends. I saw, we saw, Sat. night Fever in 1977 at a theater in Vestavia called The Pitcher show. Yea, Pitcher show. Cause they had great beer prices by the pitcher. Plus really good food. Which was nice. Cause when you are high you gotta have something to eat. Right? And on Sat night we always were. High, I mean. And drunk. I was 16 at the time. Some who have not seen the movie until now probably watch it and think "what B.S. there is no way that this could even be close to real". Well, I'm telling you that it is. Actually, the film makers held back a lot. Didn't really make a big deal out of drugs. And the Disco scene was fueled by drugs. And a lot of them. Think Tony Manero was a parody? There was a Tony Manero in every disco in America at the time. Think there is racism(an overused term IMO)? The "racism" depicted was under represented also. People used terms for other races and cultures matter of factly. Didn't consider it racist. The races didn't mix. And didn't want to or see a need to. As for Annette, Tony's sometimes dance partner and side piece. Yes, she is a sad, broken and pitiful character. But Annette existed. And exists today. But you can't talk about it now. Or judge. Nope. Annette just needs some Zoloft, maybe monthly therapy and short stay in rehab. And what is it with these later reviewers calling the Gang bang Annette got "Gang rape"? She consented. Hell she did more than consent, she invited it. Saturday Night Fever is a realistic, if slightly softened version of the mid-late seventies. If the viewer thinks it is shocking or crass, well. The 70's club/party culture was shocking and crass. If you didn't live it you can get a glimpse of it by watching this movie.
½ November 1, 2016
A movie that is much deeper than I expected it to be. It's far more than dancing, and Travolta delivers a great performance. It's a bit long and drags at points but overall very enjoyable
October 24, 2016
Dancing, disco inferno, handsome Travolta and a great soundtrack. What else do you want!
October 17, 2016
70's never dying classic. Kind of movie you won't see these days when political correctness is ahead of realism.
July 24, 2016
gr8 another lost review
July 5, 2016
I first viewed this movie when I was 11 years old. I was infactuated with John Travolta. His dancing, and the music are great. As a grown woman I find John Travolta's character and his friends to be repulsive narcissists and rapests. The women who crawled after him disgust me as well! No self respect! When I was 11 this movie was 5 stars as an adult its two stars that I attribute to the music and dancing.
½ June 25, 2016
With campy and cliché situations and a laughable performance from John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever doesn't have much to offer other than its iconic soundtrack.
June 21, 2016
Notes on Saturday Night Fever:

-Bee Gees is life.

-A colorful fuckin' film.

-You don't mess with Tony's hair. The look Travolta pulls is amazing.

-So is all the dance moves.

-Some parallels between this and Purple Rain. Not a bad thing.

-The 2001 Odyssey is quite the tranquil place for Tony.

- Sex, drugs, and disco. The 70s disco scene may have been my kind of party.??

-John Travolta isn't Al Pacino, but he's sure unique in his own way. A movie very enveloped in its own time, Saturday Night Fever is quintessential dance film. Fuck off Step Up!
June 9, 2016
This is the film that launched Travolta from TV (Welcome Back Kotter) to the big the screen... & had of the most classic and greatest selling soundtracks of all time.
May 22, 2016
One of the finest dramas of the 1970's. Amazing soundtrack.
February 9, 2016
If it wasn't for those dance moves and music it would have been terrible
February 9, 2016
An old classic, cudnt stop my feet from moving!!
February 8, 2016
Featuring an excellent soundtrack, a good story and excellent acting from John Travolta, Saturday Night Fever is without doubt the best and most entertaining dance film ever
February 6, 2016
The best soundtrack of the cinema history.
February 4, 2016
I love to watch you dance.

Tony Manero lives with his parents in New York and works days at a department store and spends his nights perfecting his dancing. He is a big time club dancer at night and is slowly doing nothing with his life. His friends lives start falling apart around him and he may start wondering what he's doing with himself...

"She didn't cum yet?"
"Since when do you care?"

John Badham, director of Drop Zone, Stakeout, Short Circuit, Point of No Return, Bird on a Wire, and episodes from the television series Heroes, Arrow, and Supernatural, delivers Saturday Night Fever. The storyline for this picture is excellent and a very unique coming of age film. The acting is perfect and the cast includes John Travolta, Karen Lynn Gorney, Barry Miller, Paul Pape, and Sam Coppola.

"Some guys don't know a lousy fuck when they see one. Maybe the thought you were dead."

I came across this on Netflix not too long ago and I added it to the wish list. This is a great movie of the disco age and the soundtrack was awesome. Overall, this is a worthwhile movie and borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"You had coffee with Joe Namath?"

Grade: A
½ January 29, 2016
This movie is really full of energy and so is the cast. Saturday Night Fever is moved by the great John Travolta performance as Tony, a guy who doesn't really know what to do with his life and doesn't know where to take his incredible dancing career. He spends all his pay from his painting job to go out dancing on weekends and is the best dancer there. It's actually a pretty good setup and plot for a film script and it really doesn't disappoint, I think it's an excellent story. The story is really simple I have to admit but the director is able to drive this plot so far with so many other elements. It adds on to a romance that thankfully isn't a distraction and a family story of how Tony is the disappointment. The whole atmosphere of this movie is kind of depressing, it takes place in a bad neighborhood and involves low class high tempered people. Tony being down on himself and others doesn't really help either. The way it's filmed even captured the depressing tone of the setting which was pretty neat. The dance sequences were really entertaining and well choreographed. The best parts of the movie were the storyline, John Travolta, and the dancing sequences. My problem with the movie is that it was a bit too long and that it didn't have the right ending I felt. The complete ending was great actually but how Tony goes into such a quick downtime after he thinks his dance is rigged was a bit rushed. He goes one second to kissing the girl he really likes to raping her in a second which didn't make much sense to me anyway. The Bee Gees soundtrack had a few good songs but some I couldn't stand and it became ear garbage to me so just that made me enjoy a part less. There's not a lot to say that's bad about this movie except that it's not exactly my type of movie and I view this as a really good movie even though I don't really find it amazing to my preference. Saturday Night Fever is a classic that has a heck of a good story and an awesome John Travolta performance. B
December 23, 2015
Somehow I had never actually seen this film, just bits and pieces on TV, so it was nice to finally watch in its entirety. It is an ok film, but just not really my type. Definitely worth a watch though.
½ December 13, 2015
While the constant high pitched disco is tiresome, Saturday Night Fever has some very powerful moments, a great coming of age performance from John Travolta and relevant themes.
December 1, 2015
Saturday Night Fever deserves to be graded among the best movies of the '70s, with a story that is intelligent and moving, the iconic soundtrack that defined a genre, and the performance that made John Travolta a hit.