Shadow Dancer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shadow Dancer Reviews

November 10, 2016
Slow movie to watch.
May 11, 2016
Guessing on this rating fell asleep midway ð~"
October 31, 2015
Good story but forgettable. Its kinda slow. Irish accents are sexy. "Come on clive owne make this movie more fun" i kept saying to myself.
July 30, 2015
A MI6 agent falls for a captured IRA activist which eventually led to his own demise. Mostly Predictable but that is only 30 seconds before it happens so it is not too bad.
Harlequin68
½ April 17, 2015
After Collette(Andrea Riseborough) attempts to bomb a busy London Underground station, she is detained by authorities. At first, it appears that Mac(Clive Owen) just wants to talk with her and share some files and photos with her. That is all in the service of getting her to inform on some of her colleagues who are less than thrilled with the continuing peace process. As leverage, he uses the thought of her son having to travel hundreds of miles to visit her in prison.

As much as car chases, gun fights and explosions can hinder a movie when it wants to have an intelligent discussion about an important subject, the banal and uninspired "Shadow Dancer" proves in slow moving abundance how bad the other extreme can be in sucking all of the oxygen out of the room. In this case, it involves people making life and death decisions and watching as other life changing ones are made without any kind of emotional reaction in the least. In the process, this also ends up wasting the talents of Clive Owen and Andrea Riseborough.
February 9, 2015
Interesting plot but I guess it gets too confusing for its own good. This kind of story does need a completeness and it fails it that with quite a few loose ends. Looking at online discussions it does seem like many are confused about it.
½ February 4, 2015
I watched this the night after I watched "71" and although this isn't maybe as "real" as "72", I still think they really complement each other. Two good night's viewing for sure and "71" could give a bit of an insight for non-Irish people who never really knew what The Troubles were all about. 71 doesn't explain it but gives a very realistic portrayal of what it was like in the North of Ireland in 1970/71
January 15, 2015
Very good little movie with Irish cast. Lesson to be learned : Do not tell a woman what you would not like everyone to know.
September 21, 2014
Way more boring than i had anticipated.
½ August 27, 2014
The word forgettable comes to mind with this film. Well done, but just not unique. I'm intrigued by the Troubles in Northern Ireland but this movie really doesn't have much character representation for me to care. I don't find myself really know why Collette does anything in this movie, past the reason she became an IRA sympathizer in the first place.
August 18, 2014
Monday, August 18, 2014

(2013) Shadow Dancer
SUSPENSE THRILLER

The ending rose more questions than it gave answers. Based on a novel by Tom Bradby as it centers on the character, Collette played by Andrea Riseborough, which as a result of her past motivated her to become an underground IRA member. Upon planting a bomb near a busy subway, she's then caught for that act before given a choice by MI5 agent to either get arrested and charged for planting that bomb, or secretly act as an informant for British Intelligence. And because she also has a son, she chose the other possible option.

All I can say is that the ending killed the credibility of the entire movie since Collette can still be charged for planting that first bomb on the subway since there's no reason now to not connect her tot hat incident and tat the same time continue to employ her as an informant. They can also connect her to other IRA attacks as well since she still has a file. Also, the credibility is also killed is when as soon as a job is done, that IRA members would then involve that very same person to perform another attack as well instead of finding a new bloke. The odds of that happening is highly unlikely since Collette's identity was already plastered all over the news.

2 stars out of 4
August 17, 2014
Good but could have been better. Plods along at a pretty slow pace and it lost my attention in parts. Not one that really grabbed me.
August 14, 2014
Loved it. You have to see it three times with subtitles to get a complete grip on it though. There are many implied things from the minimalist script.
½ August 8, 2014
All in all, not a bad movie, just a little slow..
July 14, 2014
Andrea Riseborough and Clive Owen both gave good performances.
The movie was good but I just didn't like it, I have to disagree with the 82% approval rate and have to go to the 52% approval of the Audiences. It lacks something, a bit slow too.

3 Stars!
½ July 10, 2014
pithy review: this slow dance rewards the viewer who stays til the last move is made..........
July 10, 2014
Little tension and little in the way of historical background to the story.
½ July 2, 2014
A very slow and dull thriller lacking surprises and twists although Andrea Riseborough's performance was solid.
½ June 28, 2014
Too slow. Just too slow.
½ June 12, 2014
meh. very slow, not a lot of grab.