Sightseers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sightseers Reviews

July 7, 2017
A 32 year old woman and her boyfriend are off to a caravan trip. Her mother hates it. They love it, and are looking forward to see more of UK. They crash around at various locations, eat, sleep and have fun. Well, they also kill people every now and then, so it's not a totally typical vacation.

It's not especially funny, but it has some moments. OK characters and OK music, but this is not a very rewarding film. The ending is also pretty weak so there is not a finale here, that's worth waiting for. Low budget, dark humor and pretty easy, morbid humor. This was not my stuff, really.

4 out of 10 knitting sticks.
April 23, 2017
Funny, horrifying, and beautifully acted. Heartily recommend if you like twisted characters doing horrible things. I love them, so it worked for me!
½ April 9, 2017
This film was not ever funny. Mean-spirited, ugly (except for the lovely British background,) sad, dysfunctional, twisted . . . but I did not laugh once. Relentlessly unpleasant.
April 4, 2017
My Plex account listed this movie as being a "Drama Romance Crime Thriller Horror Comedy". We laughed, but that's actually pretty accurate.
½ April 2, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: Writing a review for 'Sightseers' isn't a particularly easy thing to do, because all there really is to say is that it's completely bonkers. I could try and quantify its hilarity with words and dissect the reason its blend of satire and off-the-wall situational humour makes me laugh, but actually I'm not really sure why it does. In some ways the fact I find it so amusing confuses me because it really shouldn't, but then that's the beauty of comedy than Ben Wheatley seems to enjoy exploiting. I enjoy it too.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: It is the same sort of weird joke for quite a long time...
VERDICT: I suspect Amy Jump would be very pleased about the fact I can't really quantify my thoughts, but the bottom line is that this film is very funny, and very weird. Go see it.
January 4, 2017
Sufficiently twisted and amusing.
½ November 27, 2016
Sometimes I have really hard time understanding British humor and "Sightseers" has exactly the kind of dark British humor that I find unfunny. It's probably a cultural thing. I wouldn't say it is laugh-out-loud funny, although there are certainly some funny moments in it. It is an interesting blend of comedy and horror, and the fact that they managed to make it balanced as it is is something to admire about. The performances are solid and the editing is great as well. My main problem with the film is that I didn't like the two lead characters at all; I thought they were selfish, unlikable, and utterly despicable that it made me hard to relate to their love story. Having seen Wheatley's "High-Rise" beforehand, I expected that this film would be also unpleasant and disturbing at times, and it really was often uncomfortable to watch. There are good things in it, but I can't imagine myself watching it again. It's just not my cup of tea.
September 21, 2016
Sort of as if Philomena Cunk and Barry Shitpeas starred in a serial-killer movie scripted by Half Man Half Biscuit. Which, um, sort of works...
August 1, 2016
A detestable film that forces us to follow for eighty-eight minutes a couple of hateful psychopaths with a sick story that wants to be a very dark comedy and make fun of their gruesome atrocities - but everything is just too much bad taste to be remotely funny.
June 9, 2016
Very quirky and dark ! Really enjoyed
May 7, 2016
It might be critically acclaimed but this is a very sick story with sick characters and sick ending. Do not watch it.
May 2, 2016
A very strange film, like an Indie dramedy "Natural Born Killers." There are some very cool stylistic flourishes in here, but I don't know how realized of a film it is. It wants you to be connected to these psychopaths when I was mainly confused on how they are how they are. It's a good script, just perhaps never too coherent in its intentions.
May 1, 2016
Don't be fooled by the 'Laugh-Out-Loud Funny' quote for this supposed black comedy. It's neither funny or a comedy. What it is is depressing and miserable.
April 28, 2016
Sightseers is a low budget indie dark "comedy", but its more just a dark movie and not much laughs. There are some nice themes slowly built in, but ultimately it doesn't go anywhere. It starts off good enough, but quickly runs out of steam, even though the attempt is admirable and the concept is quirky.
March 25, 2016
Probably not as funny as it should be, but still huge fun nonetheless. With a decent mixture of dark comedy and gore I found it entertaining without been too silly
½ March 3, 2016
The movie has one of the most annoying, offensive and just plain unbearable character named Tina ever written by a woman and played with utter disgust by a woman, Tina is way distasteful than Meg Ryan's character in In The Cut and that's saying something. Atleast Jar Jar was funny in his own bizarre way. this one is just hateful.
½ February 28, 2016
Occasionally amusing but disjointed satire on Little Englander intolerance.
½ January 30, 2016
dark-comedy story about a romantic couple.
½ January 28, 2016
Very funny, in a gross, mad way. Quirky, very British and very black comedy!!
December 31, 2015
Very funny film. Despite its dark nature. Great acting.