Slaughter Reviews

• Jan 16, 2016

Jim Brown's blaxploitation showcase starts off really good with a bunch of quickly paced action scenes that set up the story, but goes downhill pretty rapidly. The whole middle of the film is slow and dull, and nowhere near as good as you'd expect from a film that has Stella Stevens, Rip Torn, Don Gordon and Cameron Mitchell to play with. It picks up in the end, but I didn't really care all that much by then.

• Dec 28, 2013

Finally crossed one of the last classic Blaxploitation films off the list as part of a double disc set and I'm happy to have finally gotten around to it. Fun stuff from the opening theme to the last big show-down, wonderful stuff. Well worth a rental.

• May 14, 2013

Director Jack Starrett specialized in making exciting drive-in flicks, such as "The Losers," "The Gravy Train," and "Race with the Devil," and this Jim Brown vehicle was one of his two forays into blaxploitation cinema ("Cleopatra Jone being the other). As exploitation directors go, Starrett is not quite equal a talent as Larry Cohen, but I would say he is equal a filmmaker to say a Jack Hill. To this film specifically, Jim Brown is Slaughter and is an ex-green beret looking to avenge the death of family killed by the mob. It's a pretty standard story for the genre, but the film is elevated by Brown's wooden, yet oddly charismatic performance, along with a better than average supporting cast that include Stella Steven and more significantly, the brilliant Rip Torn as an delightfully over-the-top snarling villain. It's not the best of the genre, but it's definitely better than most.

• Mar 21, 2013

One of the greatest blaxploitation flicks ever made. For me right up there with 'Shaft' and 'Coffy'. Former Green Beret Slaughter seeks revenge after his gangster Dad gets blown up in a gangland hit. Jim Brown is the balls as Slaughter and Rip Torn is a sleazy fuck as his nemesis. Billy Preston's theme song is immense and IMO the greatest tune to come out of this genre.

• Aug 01, 2012

A great title track and some nipples cannot save this mess of a movie

A great title track and some nipples cannot save this mess of a movie

• Mar 09, 2012

Slaughter is the new funky and fresh film from seventies that proudly displays sticking it to the man. However, this film does teach us one valuable lesson; even though the Man can take a vacation, he will always be the Man. Slaughter is not a great film, but I did have fair amount of fun with the laughable action, inane logic, and silly villains. There are a number of scenes that the villains have the chance to kill Slaughter, but they then develop an idea that they can kick his butt which back fires. It is all pretty tiring, but I did not mind it this time and is definitely better some really awful films like Black Belt Jones or Sugar Hill. Plus, this film may have been shot in Mexico, so there are some pretty chicas in this film and you cannot go wrong with that.

• Jan 24, 2012

Another blaxploitation film done by American International Pictures, and directed by Jack Starrett (who later did Race with the Devil (1975)), this is a fast, violent and mad revenge film, it did well upon release, and it's got some good going for it, and it doesn't outstay it's welcome either. Slaughter (Jim Brown) is a Vietnam Veteran, who was a former Green Beret Captain. His parents are killed in an seemingly targeted hit. Slaughter vows to get revenge on those who did it, and learns it a Mafia Bomb Blast, and goes after those responsible, eventually killing one of them as they try to flee in an airplane, but it turns out that by doing so, he's blown an undercover operation on the men Slaughter targeted. But, Slaughter makes a deal with Federal Agent A.W. Price (Cameron Mitchell) to go after the men who got away on behalf of the U.S. government. It takes him to Mexico and South America where it puts him up against mob bosses Mario Felice (Norman Alre) and Dominic Hoff (Rip Torn), and Hoff sends out his mistress Ann (Stella Stevens) to seduce Slaughter, but nothing is going to get in his way. From the roaring opening theme tune by Billy Preston (used by Tarantino in Inglourious Basterds), this is a film with a hardass attitude. The action comes fast and furious, and it's a product of it's time, but Jim Brown is a good action hero, mixing badass and tenacity. A sequel followed soon after.

• Dec 17, 2011

During the opening credits when that first cord rips on Billy Preston's theme song you know you are getting to be in for some badass cinema & Jim Brown is one bad cat as Slaughter. Brown gives us a strong blaxploitation icon that I would put him about 5th behind Richard Roundtree, Fred Williamson, Pam Grier & Ron O'Neal. Although the script feels a bit weak @ times w/ the involve of Stella Stevens all in all this delivers high grades for the genre. Slaughter is such a no bullshit/no jive mother-fucker that you can't help but get 100% behind him. Roger Cudney & espically Rip Torn make for good heavy & even though Brown didn't need a side kick Don Gordon does provide some comic relief that fits well in the vast scheme of things. I ended up watching Slaughter's Big Rip Off first & even though I liked it when I saw it really doesn't do Slaughter any favors after see the original. It's too bad but now I see why there was only one sequel. If only it had more flavor of the first one maybe we could have gotten a trilogy like Shaft

• Sep 28, 2011

For a Zarkoff production it's actually quite good. Not one of the classic blaxploitation films but certainly one worthy of a second watch.

• Apr 23, 2011

Unlike 80s hair metal "legend" Mark Slaughter, this Slaughter lives up to his name as Jim Brown sure knocks some dicks in the dirt in this high octane, James Bond influenced Blaxploitation effort. Slaughter, an ex Green Beret, is POed as some assholes blew up his daddy's car with his daddy in it. He heads out for vengeance and guns down a few of the dickheads at a small airport but not without pissing off some federal agents who spent months tracking these drug dealers down. In order not to get thrown into prison, Slaughter agrees to go to South America to take the drug cartel down while at the same time satisfying his hunger for vengeance. Ex-pro football player Jim Brown first got some acting chops in tough guy films like "The Dirty Dozen" before branching out and becoming a Blaxploitation icon. Does this mean he's a good actor? Hell no but he, much like the other ex-pro football player turned actor Fred Williamson, fit these roles perfectly making for some major touch guy icons as well as providing interesting film heroes for the black community. Unlike Fred Williamson whose characters were always cocky and mouthy, Jim Brown's were always quieter, more repressed without losing the tough-as-nails edge. Slaughter is exactly this... mostly quiet but a tough mother-fucker who without flinching will shoot a guy in the back or chase them down with a car. Seriously this guy is one mean dude! And he seems like such a nice guy on the outside... The filmmakers inject a lot of James Bond influences into the picture to with Slaughter basically acting as a secret agent. He goes to high rolling casinos attired in a tux, wins over villain's woman by bedding them, and most importantly can handle himself when it comes to action scenes, including but not limited to hand-to-hand combat and high speed chases. The directing for the most part is solid with Jack Starrett knowing how to handle action scenes with a sure hand (he proved that again with "Race with the Devil). The only thing I questioned was his use of some odd squished picture ratios in his action scenes. I'm sure it was an attempt to be stylistic but it just takes you out of the movie for a moment making some think there DVD disc might be defective. Is "Slaughter" a terrific film to be remembered for all the ages? Well no but it does what it intends to do.. provide audiences with an action packed Blaxploitation vehicle for Jim Brown with a heaping dose of sheer awesomeness. I enjoyed "Slaughter" immensely and am highly looking forward to watching its sequel "Slaughter's Big Rip-off".