Reviews

• Sep 24, 2021

Filled with all the usual 90s romcom things that make us love them even more. It's a fun story that keeps you entertained.

• Aug 31, 2021

A great romantic movie where everything comes together at the end of the movie!!!!

• Jul 11, 2021

Una buena comedia romántica con Tom Hanks y Meg Ryan; es recomendable.

Una buena comedia romántica con Tom Hanks y Meg Ryan; es recomendable.

• Jun 04, 2021

Meg Ryan as usual at her best. The movie, however, even as a romantic comedy is slightly too romanticized.

• Jun 03, 2021

That's your problem. You don't wanna be in love, you wanna be in love in a movie. Rummaging through the movies that really helped me at my lowest points, You've Got Mail was the first one that came to mind. So instead of giving it a rewatch (I do hate it when movies don't live up to my first viewing of them), I thought it was a sign I should finally get around to the other Hanks/Ryan Nora Ephron film. Again, this one proves how exceptionally good Ephron was at balancing out the gooeyness of her far-fetched romantic stories with some sincere dialogue that grounds a story about a star-crossed lovers in reality. The premise of two people who have never met and live on opposite ends of the country become infatuated with each other seems destined to leave viewers incredulous. But at its core, it's a story about a man (Sam) overcoming grief after losing his wife, instantly thawing the cynicism of a woman (Annie) once she hears on a radio about his "magical" love story he once had. Consequently, Annie goes to great lengths to meet Sam while grappling with the idea of leaving her strait-laced fiancé in the process for fear of leading more of a satisfactory life rather than a genuine one. That's why Annie's storyline proved more interesting to me, and Meg Ryan did an amazing job at expressing this kind of a dilemma Annie goes through from the moment she's crying while listening to the radio to the very end. She managed to express a myriad of troubling emotions that can only be inferred because of the lighthearted nature of the film. The chemistry between her and Hanks is once again undeniable despite, sadly, sharing very few scenes together. Crammed with humorous cynicism and self-awareness, Sleepless in Seattle also elicits more than its fair share of chuckles, whether coming from its endless movie references (with An Affair to Remember being at the top of them) or Hanks's sweet interactions with his on-screen son. Definitely not near as tightly-scripted as You've Got Mail, as its plot sometimes may feel like is stretched-out to death. Plus, despite being perfectly paired with some scenes, the soundtrack is full of on-the-nose choices. Nevertheless, Sleepless in Seattle is just the mood-booster I wanted right now.

• Mar 24, 2021

This movie is something. If you want to get lost in cheesiness go watch it. It's just magical!

• Mar 01, 2021

Remarkable in part for the instant chemistry of Hanks and Ryan, whose romance is established despite their occupying the screen together for only a handful of moments. The romance that carries the rest of the movie? One man's love for the memory of his wife and a child's mission to find the magic that will bring him back to the land of the living. A solid, frequently funny script, excellent support work by everyone on screen and a marvelously timed bit of direction. A classic.

• Feb 15, 2021

I'm not really sure why more people don't rate this movie higher. Yes, it borrowed from existing movies and updated the plot. But it's just really enjoyable to me. Very romantic and witty. It's a good time at the movies every time I watch it.

• Feb 15, 2021

Sleepless in Seattle is a classic. Though I have to admit that it's a lot more serious than I remember it being—this romantic comedy is definitely more rom than com. Nevertheless, Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan showcase a lot of chemistry, even though they're apart for most of the film. And the story, while implausible, is still quite enjoyable. Plus, it's clean enough that the whole family can watch it together.

• Jan 31, 2021

Great performances mainly by Tom Hanks.

Great performances mainly by Tom Hanks.