Sleepy Hollow - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleepy Hollow Reviews

June 23, 2017
There doesn't seem to be any part Johnny Depp can't play!
May 19, 2017
A brilliant and bloody film with excellent performances and scares!
May 17, 2017
1999 Was My Favorite Year In Film.
May 6, 2017
The writing is just moderately good. Burton's films have had better, but the screenplay for Sleepy Hollow isn't terrible. It handles all of the twists and turns necessary for a horror film well, and makes Depp's character likable. Sleepy Hollow is one of Tim Burton's best films. It's creepy, complex, and fun to watch, but the writing and acting are great. If you want to watch a fun and weird horror film, this might be for you.
April 2, 2017
Decent movie. Good cinematography, good acting, and an okay story. It just didn't keep my attention, but it was somewhat memorable.
April 1, 2017
One of my all time favourite horror films
½ March 11, 2017
Un'atmosfera tetra e cupa alla base di questo film firmato Tim Burton, con una trama intricata ma sempre coinvolgente. Lo stile unico di questo visionario regista evidente e non vedo l'ora di analizzare tutte le sue numerose opere.
February 18, 2017
My all time favorite character Christopher Walken...
January 17, 2017
Really enjoyed this, great adaptation of a beloved story.
December 11, 2016
It's really not that great for Depp/Burton. If you think about it this might be what started their streak of shitty movies they've created in the past 15 years. And Christina Ricci does not look good as a blonde.
½ November 21, 2016
Spooky, kooky, and tons of fun to watch.
November 14, 2016
It makes very little sense but it is admirable for both it's visual design and the fact that Depp's Ichabod Crane is a sniveling coward.
½ October 31, 2016
I am so shocked that I never took the time to watch this movie during previous Halloween seasons! Change up from the original Sleepy Hollow Story by Washington Irving, but Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci are fantastic and their take on the story! Classic Tim Burton film
October 29, 2016
Johnny Depp is as quirky as ever and it works in Tim Burton's mystery film. It's a lot of fun and has a satisfying conclusion, amid a crazy plot.
October 7, 2016
Another example of Tim Burton being great at creating a world but not that good at telling a story.
½ October 4, 2016
tim burton strikes again.. a magic done from tim burton.
½ September 25, 2016
Sleepy Hollow manages to impressively balance out a brutally graphic premise with an interesting mystery and decidedly timely humor. It's easily one of Tim Burton's most entertaining adventures to date.

Period pieces are ripe for great horror flicks. To me, the creepiest film of 2016 has been The Witch, and that's large part due to the eerie 17th century setting on a secluded farm. Sleepy Hollow is a much more habited town, but the same eerie tone is set brilliantly by cinematographer, Emmanuel Lubezki. I love the way he and Burton used the town itself as a character which is a part of the mystery.

Speaking of the mystery, It's nice to see Burton tackle a mystery, which I believe is the only time he's ever ventured into that genre. And he handles it well for the most part. A good portion of the film focuses on why exactly a headless horseman is taking out certain members of the Sleepy Hollow community, with Johnny Depp's Ichabod Crane at the center of the investigation. Crane, in typical Burton fashion, is a bit of an eccentric and unpredictable twist to his detective style. But the real issue with some of the mystery is that the third act reveals come at a rapid pace and the story gets a little convoluted.

With that said, once we get caught up as an audience, Burton gives us a juicy climatic showdown with the infamous horseman, and it doesn't disappoint. He's done a few horror films, but Sleepy Hollow ranks up there with some of his best overall features. It has his distinguished tone and style with plenty of colorful kills by one of the great horror villains of all time, the headless horseman. An awkward romance and a somewhat convoluted third act prevent it from being flawless, but it's more than just your average horror entertainment.

+Lubezki

+Burton hits all the right beats

+Amazing climax

+Well-crafted

-Iffy romance

-Somewhat confusing reveals

9.0/10
August 26, 2016
It only superficially resembles its source material, but Sleepy Hollow puts the combined efforts of Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, and Danny Elfman to appropriately creepy use.
August 11, 2016
One our favorite Halloween movies! This, Ghistbusters and Abbott & Costello Mmet Frankenstein...classics!
July 19, 2016
Tim Burton would seem like the perfect person to direct an adaption of Washington Irving's "the Legend of Sleepy Hollow". He gets much of the visuals right, but Mr. Burton has often times delivered on the look of his films. He tends to blow it on the story. Her he massacres the classic tale, completely changing the plot and stripping away the meanings behind the original tale. Shame on him! Not only is the result disappointing, but it is also maddening.