Star Trek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Reviews

April 27, 2017
it's ok, well written and some good comedy aspects. Chris Pine is as wooden as Schatner thou. Bones and Scotty won me over
April 16, 2017
great start trek movie and reboot. very smart
½ April 12, 2017
This one was something I gave a wild hair re-watch to recently and it holds up remarkably well, in spite of all the Goddamned lens flare that Abrams *insists* on using throughout.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this re-boot of the classic franchise, but not being a particularly dedicated Star Trek fan, I had no sacred cows going into this one and really enjoyed how Abrams put it all together.

I'm fully on board for a series of these films, the actors seemed to gel together nicely, though I still can't fully get into Zachary Quinto's face, but I can stand him here a helluva lot easier since he's not saying the asinine Sylar-type dialog that he was saddled with on Heroes for several seasons.

Recommended.
April 12, 2017
Great movie. My favorite scene was when darth vader kills obi-wan. Its just...beautiful.
April 1, 2017
love the sci-fi adventure.
March 31, 2017
Star Trek has an okay script and bad choreographed fights, it's only the great cast, especially Simon Pegg, that saves the movie from being a complete disaster. And of course we love to see Leonard Nimoy, the original Spock, a role which Zachary Quinto plays greatly and with respect. Still, The Movie is better than any "Star Wars" movie to date.
March 31, 2017
Not impressive enough as a restart of a franchise other than seeing youth . Especially the FX which failed to keep the viewers' eyes wide open.
March 28, 2017
Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto really nailed it as Captain James T. Kirk and Spock. The cinematography was fantastic and I loved this movie! It deserves five solid stars!
March 22, 2017
Smart and fast paced new kind of sci fi movie!
March 19, 2017
Amazing and really so funny.
March 4, 2017
Of course that's not the way time travel works but then that would have made this movie even more dificult to comprehend.
February 27, 2017
170227: I'm pretty certain I've seen this film before but can't put my finger on where/when. Hard to believe it is 8 years old now. Very enjoyable and the new cast is catching on with me. Excited to see the next in the series.
½ February 23, 2017
Who wanted to see Kirk being born, or Spock growing up, or Kirk being chased by the Cloverfield monster's cousin? Nobody, but Leonard Nimoy shows up in a random ice cave (must be fate) and partially revives a movie that is almost below the contempt of any Star Trek fan. The movie was a big hit, which just shows people really want Star Trek back in any form. The actors are fine, script and direction, mostly horrible.
½ February 23, 2017
This is the first Star Trek film that I have ever watched. I was pleasantly surprised. Star Trek is a thrilling, action packed adventure. The cast is phenomenal and the film boasts some wicked action sequwnces. Kirk and Spock were absolutely amazing and real badass. A truly awesome spectacle, this one of the best Sci Fi films in recent memory. . This updated version of the classic tv series is an almost flawless film and theres none stop entertainment to be had. I love J.J Abrams work, and he directs this thrilling and visually stunning picture with flair. Watching Star Trek you're always on edge and thrilled to the last frame of the film. Maybe the diehard fans of Star Trek will hate it, I know a lot of them did. But to those who aren't really into Star Trek, this is a perfect film to watch. A good blend of Sci Fi and action that is sure to appeal to anyone looking for a good time.
½ February 3, 2017
7/23/2016: I've never seen the original films, but I thought this was a really good origins movie. The cast, action, and story were all very good.
½ January 28, 2017
Injects a little bit of Star Wars into Star Trek, and while that might upset purists it helps reinvent the franchise for new group of viewers to enjoy. Boisterous sci fi action and some unexpected emotion make this a fun time at the movies.
½ January 20, 2017
I'm tempted to make a joke about a guy named Pine delivering a wooden performance, but that would involve investing more effort then any one in this production did. So in the spirit of this movie's level of commitment: iTsUks
January 18, 2017
Star Trek has proven in the past to be a difficult franchise to write truly compelling movies for, which is telling from the relatively poor reception of the later movies. However this thankfully corrects all of the mistakes. The real difficulty of rebooting Star Trek is connecting with what the audience finds familiar and the way this film blended the original series and continuity with this new alternate universe is simply genius. This instead decides to focus on a younger Kirk and instead of him automatically being a relatively calm and experienced Starship Captain shows a more cocky and ultimately reckless Kirk. (A kirk which in the follow up movies would be built on to produce a pretty deep character progression) The blending of the old and new also gave the movie a chance to redesign the Enterprise and give a more larger and militaristic feel to it. With Star Trek responding to the 23rd century ship decimating one of it's own the new enterprise feels correct for the big screen. These kind of more in-depth explanations don't really matter to the newer audience the movie will bring but do matter to older Trek fans or fans of the original series and follow ups as it gives the movie a good basis which it ends up developing well. Overall this is a great watch for any Star Trek fan and any fan of action movies in general. Rating of 5/5 feels right for this because it did so many things right and rejuvenated a brand that by the early 2000's had begun to look very tired.
½ January 17, 2017
Star Trek is the best movie of the summer so far. While I'm no Trekkie, I was able to appreciate the delicate balance between making an summer-adrenaline movie with an attractive young cast while staying true to spirit of the original series. J.J. Abrhams has, in effect, done for Star Trek what Christopher Nolan did for Batman: get rid of the cheesy elements that made the series a laughing-stock while drawing out the raw power of the core themes and characters. Just like Nolan, Abrams has allowed the nerds to say to the mainstream public: "See? That's why we're so into this!"

The story is good and the jokes hit the mark about 80% of the time, but the cast is where it's at. Chris Pine is makes for an entertainingly arrogant Kirk, and Heroes' Zachary Quinto is fine as Spock, but I'm all about the supporting cast, especially Zoe Saldana's strong Uhura, Karl Urban's (The Lord of the Rings) suprisingly funny take on Bones McCoy, and the pies de resistance, Simon Pegg, underused but awesome, as Scotty. If you've seen Shaun of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz, you know Simon Pegg is the shiz. The Leonard Nimoy cameo is perfect, the action thrilling. My grade: A
January 17, 2017
JJ Abrahams makes Star Trek great again with this fantastic film that both fans and newbies will love.