Star Trek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Reviews

½ February 3, 2017
7/23/2016: I've never seen the original films, but I thought this was a really good origins movie. The cast, action, and story were all very good.
January 29, 2017
James T. Kirk and Spock are a great duo of space heroes to entertain you! I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, but I enjoyed this movie.
½ January 28, 2017
Injects a little bit of Star Wars into Star Trek, and while that might upset purists it helps reinvent the franchise for new group of viewers to enjoy. Boisterous sci fi action and some unexpected emotion make this a fun time at the movies.
½ January 20, 2017
I'm tempted to make a joke about a guy named Pine delivering a wooden performance, but that would involve investing more effort then any one in this production did. So in the spirit of this movie's level of commitment: iTsUks
January 18, 2017
Star Trek has proven in the past to be a difficult franchise to write truly compelling movies for, which is telling from the relatively poor reception of the later movies. However this thankfully corrects all of the mistakes. The real difficulty of rebooting Star Trek is connecting with what the audience finds familiar and the way this film blended the original series and continuity with this new alternate universe is simply genius. This instead decides to focus on a younger Kirk and instead of him automatically being a relatively calm and experienced Starship Captain shows a more cocky and ultimately reckless Kirk. (A kirk which in the follow up movies would be built on to produce a pretty deep character progression) The blending of the old and new also gave the movie a chance to redesign the Enterprise and give a more larger and militaristic feel to it. With Star Trek responding to the 23rd century ship decimating one of it's own the new enterprise feels correct for the big screen. These kind of more in-depth explanations don't really matter to the newer audience the movie will bring but do matter to older Trek fans or fans of the original series and follow ups as it gives the movie a good basis which it ends up developing well. Overall this is a great watch for any Star Trek fan and any fan of action movies in general. Rating of 5/5 feels right for this because it did so many things right and rejuvenated a brand that by the early 2000's had begun to look very tired.
½ January 17, 2017
Star Trek is the best movie of the summer so far. While I'm no Trekkie, I was able to appreciate the delicate balance between making an summer-adrenaline movie with an attractive young cast while staying true to spirit of the original series. J.J. Abrhams has, in effect, done for Star Trek what Christopher Nolan did for Batman: get rid of the cheesy elements that made the series a laughing-stock while drawing out the raw power of the core themes and characters. Just like Nolan, Abrams has allowed the nerds to say to the mainstream public: "See? That's why we're so into this!"

The story is good and the jokes hit the mark about 80% of the time, but the cast is where it's at. Chris Pine is makes for an entertainingly arrogant Kirk, and Heroes' Zachary Quinto is fine as Spock, but I'm all about the supporting cast, especially Zoe Saldana's strong Uhura, Karl Urban's (The Lord of the Rings) suprisingly funny take on Bones McCoy, and the pies de resistance, Simon Pegg, underused but awesome, as Scotty. If you've seen Shaun of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz, you know Simon Pegg is the shiz. The Leonard Nimoy cameo is perfect, the action thrilling. My grade: A
January 17, 2017
JJ Abrahams makes Star Trek great again with this fantastic film that both fans and newbies will love.
January 15, 2017
I'm in love with Spock, is that wired?
½ January 14, 2017
This is not your parent's Star Trek. Led by Abrams sharp and hard hitting style, Star Trek is filled to the brim with action and engrossing interaction between its terrific young cast.
January 7, 2017
As the first ever Star Trek movie I've ever seen, 2009's "Star Trek" gave off a very pleasing first impression to the franchise. The main point of the movie was to get across the backstories of Captain Kirk (Chris Pine), and Spock (Zachary Quinto), and that was done very well, both characters making the movie interesting, and very entertaining. However, as much as I enjoyed the movie, I feel like more could've been added to it to take it to the next level. At the end, I felt as though not much really happened, in fact looking back, all I really remember is the feud between Kirk and Spock, and the time travelling scenes. The acting was solid, for the most part, except for a weak villain, which I found took away from the movie's shine. At the end of the day, though, "Star Trek" came out as one of the more memorable movies of 2009, and a good start to the reboot series, which after seeing this one, I will definitely be watching. If you are a sci-fi fan, or specifically a Star Trek fan, you will love this movie, but for the casual movie watcher, it feels like it's missing a few elements, but still a very enjoyable time nonetheless. "Star Trek" is worth watching if you're bored.
January 7, 2017
Star Trek is a really good movie, good characters, good writing, good good
½ January 7, 2017
My full opinion: 4.5/5.
January 4, 2017
A nearly perfect movie, created with love and humor. I have watched this at least a dozen times and counting.
January 3, 2017
Was blown away but this reboot/addition. Very well done.
January 2, 2017
A fresh take on a classic adventure, Star Trek breathes new life into the series while keeping much of what made Star Trek direct competition for Star Wars.
January 1, 2017
This has a wonderful cast, an entertaining story, excellent direction, and an outstanding score.
December 30, 2016
A breath of fresh air.
December 29, 2016
Definetly the BEST Star Trek film, its well put together, good memorable cast, and shows the series at its strongest!
½ December 27, 2016
A disaster if you know the original serie and characters
December 26, 2016
Bold, exciting, re-orbit of the original Star Trek does a good job recasting the roles of the classic Starship Enterprise crew, and giving the ship a CG refit. Their first adventure captures the charisma of the original series, but not the sense of wonder. This Enterprise seems more fitted to destroy new worlds than seek them out.