Star Trek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Reviews

½ October 20, 2016
It had its nonsense plot holes, its cliche's, its stupid revenge storyline, lacked a magical sense of proper sci-fi adventure, and had a "lets make this film because 'money'" feel to it..and I'm no Star Trek fan..but it was a pretty good modern day action movie nonetheless. 6.5/10
October 20, 2016
Another awesome sci-fi.
October 9, 2016
An artistic licence to bold go where no one has gone before.
J J Abrams reinvents the Star Trek movies by starting at the very beginning. It has the same in it that Star Trek fans aka "Trekkies" have come to know and love. It gives people who are new to the movies as well as the "Trekkies" a chance to get to know the characters and what makes them tick.
In my opinion the casting for this movie was spot on. As the rebellious Kirk they casted Chris Pine, who has been in other movies like "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" but really comes into his own in this movie and I don't think we have even seen the last of him in the Star Trek franchise. I can see why they have cast Zachary Quinto as the young Spock. He seems to have captured similar traits that we have come to be familiar with. Quinto hasn't really been in any main stream movies but I think that the Star Trek movies will really kick start his acting career. As for "Scotty" they cast none other than our very own Simon Pegg. We know him best from TV programs like "Spaced" and films like "Shaun of the dead" and "Hot Fuzz". Pegg brings his unique brand of comedy to the film. And we can't forget the late Leonard Nimoy as the old Spock, which I'm sure would have been nerve racking for the cast but especially Quinto. Due to the brilliant acting choices there was none of the over acting we saw from the likes of William Shatner in the original Star Trek Series.
And now down to the movie. It has the right mixture of action, laughter, sorrow and pride. Both Kirk and Spock have had to overcome some disadvantages within the early years. Kirk was bought up in a single parent family after his farther died before Kirks life had even started and Spock having identity problems in his youth due to being half Vulcan and half human. But overcome it they did and both go on to enrol at the Starfleet academy. During their time at the academy an unlikely friendship forms between Spock and Kirk. The developing friendship only strengthens the story line which some critics have failed to see.
In the first instalment of the Star Trek movies a rebellious Kirk tries to live up to his farther legacy is forced to team up with the rational thinking Spock to try and prevent a time travelling, revengeful Romulan from destroying the Federation, but in doing so they get pay back for what has happened to their loved ones. But they wouldn't have teamed up if it wasn't for Bones (played by Karl Urban from Almost Human) getting him onto the enterprise by giving him a vaccine. But it would have happened faster if Kirk hadn't got himself kicked off the enterprise via teleportation, but in him doing so he got to meet up with Spock Prime (Leonard Nimoy) and Scotty (Simon Pegg) who helped him back onto the ship. During the movie thee maybe bits that will be a bit scary for younger children, but is a good movie for older children and teenagers to watch with their parents.
This movie full of great one liners like "I'm giving her all she's got, Captain!" Which you can't help but say it in Scotty's accent. It is also nice to see in the future that they still have problems with speech recognition soft where and it is perfectly demonstrated when Chekov (played by Anton Yelchin) says "Ensign Authorisation code: nine-five-wictor-wictor-two!" with the computer replying Authorisation is not recognised. They ended they film with Spock Prime (and I keep on wanting to put Optimus Prime but that's a different movie) giving us the famous monologue "Space; the final frontier. These are voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new lifeforms and new civilization; to boldly go where no one has go ne before"
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect this film to be to everyone's taste, but with a 95% likeability on Rotten Tomatoes the chances of you coming across someone who didn't enjoy it very unlikely.
Some diehard fans of the original movie Star Trek movie franchise have criticised the new film and J J Abrams for changing too much of the story. Stating that the new movie doesn't represent what they feel are the best bits of the old films. I personally feel that the new movie are better than the old. There is less rickety, wobbly stage set and the special effects has improved with the technology that is now available. I also believe that J J Abrams has breathed new life into the movie. Gives Abrams more of an artistic licence in future movies.
October 8, 2016
This movie captures the magic of the original movies while still being original.
½ October 5, 2016
What a great movie for a great franchise. Probably the best movie in the series.
September 27, 2016
Cool movie, Really liked the Cast, the action, and the overall Story
September 25, 2016
Whereas Star Wars the force awakens was nostalgic but unoriginal, This Star Trek reboot is both original and nostalgic. The cast not just doing parodies of the classic Kirk, Spock and bones, but bring a freshness to the franchise.
September 23, 2016
A true summer popcorn flick that's just a ton of fun. Well paced from beginning to end the film doesn't let up pulling us the audience into the movie further and further until the credits roll.
September 20, 2016
Now even star wars fans love star trek. Action packed from start to finish, spectacular effects, great characters, funny lines, brilliant star ship battles and an epic soundtrack! Everything a great saga needs in one movie. If you're like me and haven't watched any of the old star trek movies, you won't be in the dark for a second, the new frontier starts here.
September 17, 2016
I was immediately astonished and sucked into this incredible science fiction adventure before the opening title even appeared.
½ September 11, 2016
J. J. Abrams managed to mix a great cast, a fantastic script and his own directional nerdy-style, along with great respect from the original franchise vision, in order to create arguably the best reboot of the last decade.
September 6, 2016
I really tried to like this movie, but close to the end i felt nothing for this movie, i really don't care for him.
September 6, 2016
An experience representative of disappointing writing and misunderstanding of the genre. Best viewed as a rerun and in the background while vacuuming your living room.
September 5, 2016
One of the best origin films in recent memory
September 5, 2016
Exciting and fun but a bit hollow
September 1, 2016
A great alternate reality origin film of a legendary franchise.
½ September 1, 2016
It boasts good humor, impeccable action, dazzling visual effects, near perfect performances from its new cast (with Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto standing out) and, above all, a story that reboots the saga in unmatchable fashion and that keeps on exploring the usual thought-provoking themes. With this, "Star Trek (2009)" pleases both its diehard fanbase as well as novices, and stands out as one of the best science fiction films of the 2000s.
August 27, 2016
I loved every single thing about this movie! The story line, script, humor, acting, directing, set design, costumes, music... everything was awesome! Most of all, it showed love and respect to the original, while somehow updating its soul. YES!
August 27, 2016
As a standalone sci-fi movie this would have been ok. As a Star Trek movie it's a crime against humanity, commited by JJ Abrams -the butcher of lens flares-. It's quite frankly offensive, nothing about it has to do with Star Trek. The only good and sad thing about it, is the dedication the actors put in to play their predecessors instead of their characters. When you see this, Karl Urban is not playing Scotty, he's playing James Doohan. The same happens with Kirk and Spock. As a homage it's the best we could have hoped for, unfortunately everything else is crap thanks to JJ, so it sucks.
August 26, 2016
As a Star Trek movie- it doesn't cut it, failing to capture the spirit of the series and mirroring the classic characters. As a science fiction action film- it's still pretty mediocre, with mindless action and minimal development. There are some nice effects and beautiful sets- yet much of it is a eyesore. This reboot tries, but it's just not Star Trek as we know it.