Star Trek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Reviews

½ November 27, 2016
A fantastic movie!!????????
November 27, 2016
Great start of a franchise (or a reboot) :)
November 25, 2016
Star Trek is a brilliantly crafted reboot that not only respects the originals but builds onto it.
½ November 22, 2016
This may be the highest rated movie I didn't like. I am a Star Trek fan but for me, this was an hour episode turned into a movie with a lot of pyrotechnics.
November 18, 2016
Absolutely brilliant adaptation of the original series.
November 18, 2016
I think it's brilliant. I've never been a huge Star Trek fan but I consistently love this film even on multiple viewings.
November 12, 2016
Rewatching this with my son, who knew almost nothing about Star Trek, but still enjoyed it immensely. A really good remake. Exiting as a stand alone film, but also schock full of references to the earlier iterations. Sort of wondering if the gaps in the plot was an homage to the original scripts of the TV series...
November 12, 2016
With its exhilarating action sequences, great visual effects, effective humor, and better character depth than the original Star Trek movies, this should entertain you whether or not you're a Star Trek fan.
November 6, 2016
For someone who hasn't watched the original Star Trek franchise, this came to me as a surprise as I found it entertaining, humorous, and had a great story to keep you interested.
November 6, 2016
One of the best remake ever made !
November 4, 2016
This film gives me hope that J.J Abrams will do a fine job with Star Wars: The Force Awakens because he knows how to make a fun science-fiction adventure film. I have never seen an episode of Star Trek before, but I was totally along for the ride because the characters were so likable. I once heard that this is what the Star Wars Prequels should have looked like. Interesting characters that drive the plot and get us invested in the action. Just a great movie!
November 1, 2016
J.J. Abrams delivers a potent mix of action and humour around a story that links the classic Shatner/Nimoy Trek universe with the new Pine/Quinto one, resulting in an excellent, well-casted reboot of the Start Trek franchise.
October 27, 2016
Personally I thought Star Trek The Motion Picture was the best of the TOS movies. I realize that's not a terribly popular opinion, but the whole franchise went downhill from there. What made Trek unique was that it was thoughtful and intelligent. Trek was "smart" science fiction (although Gene Roddenberry, Trek's creator, preferred the term "Space Opera" since there wasn't a lot of scientific basis for Treknology).

I'm the first to admit that thoughtful and intelligent doesn't sell. Roddenberry wasn't an idiot. He knew that, too, but that didn't stop him from fighting tooth and nail to make Trek what it was... Smart.

Hell, NBC threatened to kill the project entirely if Rodenberry didn't make the First Officer a man! Truth be told they wanted him to get all the women off the ship.

Unfortunately Gene's dead now, and the franchise is now corporately controlled.

There are a lot more stupid people than smart ones, so if you want to sell something you market to stupid. Paramount doesn't care about Star Trek. Paramount is a corporation. It's their job to make as much money as they can for their stockholders, so that's what they're doing. There's no money in asking people to think. "Whiz-bang" sells movies; gun fights and gasoline explosions; and that's pretty much what Star Trek delivers now.

Star trek is no longer smart Sci-Fi. Smart Sci-Fi is pretty much dead in mass media now. I think Firefly was pretty much it's last gasp. Thank God for SyFy. Without it we would never have seen the Battlestar Galactica redux, Dr. Who, Caprica...

So how do I respond to NuTrek?

Easy. I don't.

A lot of younger trekkies tell me that I'm just old and afraid of change. Maybe, but it seems to me they're the ones that are afraid of change.

Death is the ultimate change. All things die. The people who rail on about my fear of change seem to be the ones least likely to accept this.

Star Trek is no longer Star Trek.

The reaper has come and Star trek is dead. The franchise died with The Great Bird of the Galaxy. The franchise is now completely controlled by the same people that told Gene Roddenberry to "Get rid of the guy with the ears" after screening the pilot.

This movie offers nothing but sheer spectacle. It's fast moving, action-packed, emptiness packed with blockbuster special effects, laser fights, space battles, and even swords. It is completely devoid, however, of any kind of meaningful vision of the future, thoughtful premise, or depth of character.

What Paramount's trotting out now and calling "Star Trek" is a painted lady. She's hot, sure, but Star Trek is just her street name. She's really just a sad little whore being pimped out by her corporate daddies.
½ October 20, 2016
It had its nonsense plot holes, its cliche's, its stupid revenge storyline, lacked a magical sense of proper sci-fi adventure, and had a "lets make this film because 'money'" feel to it..and I'm no Star Trek fan..but it was a pretty good modern day action movie nonetheless. 6.5/10
October 20, 2016
Another awesome sci-fi.
October 9, 2016
An artistic licence to bold go where no one has gone before.
J J Abrams reinvents the Star Trek movies by starting at the very beginning. It has the same in it that Star Trek fans aka "Trekkies" have come to know and love. It gives people who are new to the movies as well as the "Trekkies" a chance to get to know the characters and what makes them tick.
In my opinion the casting for this movie was spot on. As the rebellious Kirk they casted Chris Pine, who has been in other movies like "The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement" but really comes into his own in this movie and I don't think we have even seen the last of him in the Star Trek franchise. I can see why they have cast Zachary Quinto as the young Spock. He seems to have captured similar traits that we have come to be familiar with. Quinto hasn't really been in any main stream movies but I think that the Star Trek movies will really kick start his acting career. As for "Scotty" they cast none other than our very own Simon Pegg. We know him best from TV programs like "Spaced" and films like "Shaun of the dead" and "Hot Fuzz". Pegg brings his unique brand of comedy to the film. And we can't forget the late Leonard Nimoy as the old Spock, which I'm sure would have been nerve racking for the cast but especially Quinto. Due to the brilliant acting choices there was none of the over acting we saw from the likes of William Shatner in the original Star Trek Series.
And now down to the movie. It has the right mixture of action, laughter, sorrow and pride. Both Kirk and Spock have had to overcome some disadvantages within the early years. Kirk was bought up in a single parent family after his farther died before Kirks life had even started and Spock having identity problems in his youth due to being half Vulcan and half human. But overcome it they did and both go on to enrol at the Starfleet academy. During their time at the academy an unlikely friendship forms between Spock and Kirk. The developing friendship only strengthens the story line which some critics have failed to see.
In the first instalment of the Star Trek movies a rebellious Kirk tries to live up to his farther legacy is forced to team up with the rational thinking Spock to try and prevent a time travelling, revengeful Romulan from destroying the Federation, but in doing so they get pay back for what has happened to their loved ones. But they wouldn't have teamed up if it wasn't for Bones (played by Karl Urban from Almost Human) getting him onto the enterprise by giving him a vaccine. But it would have happened faster if Kirk hadn't got himself kicked off the enterprise via teleportation, but in him doing so he got to meet up with Spock Prime (Leonard Nimoy) and Scotty (Simon Pegg) who helped him back onto the ship. During the movie thee maybe bits that will be a bit scary for younger children, but is a good movie for older children and teenagers to watch with their parents.
This movie full of great one liners like "I'm giving her all she's got, Captain!" Which you can't help but say it in Scotty's accent. It is also nice to see in the future that they still have problems with speech recognition soft where and it is perfectly demonstrated when Chekov (played by Anton Yelchin) says "Ensign Authorisation code: nine-five-wictor-wictor-two!" with the computer replying Authorisation is not recognised. They ended they film with Spock Prime (and I keep on wanting to put Optimus Prime but that's a different movie) giving us the famous monologue "Space; the final frontier. These are voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new lifeforms and new civilization; to boldly go where no one has go ne before"
Don't get me wrong, I don't expect this film to be to everyone's taste, but with a 95% likeability on Rotten Tomatoes the chances of you coming across someone who didn't enjoy it very unlikely.
Some diehard fans of the original movie Star Trek movie franchise have criticised the new film and J J Abrams for changing too much of the story. Stating that the new movie doesn't represent what they feel are the best bits of the old films. I personally feel that the new movie are better than the old. There is less rickety, wobbly stage set and the special effects has improved with the technology that is now available. I also believe that J J Abrams has breathed new life into the movie. Gives Abrams more of an artistic licence in future movies.
October 8, 2016
This movie captures the magic of the original movies while still being original.
½ October 5, 2016
What a great movie for a great franchise. Probably the best movie in the series.
September 27, 2016
Cool movie, Really liked the Cast, the action, and the overall Story
September 25, 2016
Whereas Star Wars the force awakens was nostalgic but unoriginal, This Star Trek reboot is both original and nostalgic. The cast not just doing parodies of the classic Kirk, Spock and bones, but bring a freshness to the franchise.