Star Trek - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Star Trek Reviews

½ January 17, 2017
Star Trek is the best movie of the summer so far. While I'm no Trekkie, I was able to appreciate the delicate balance between making an summer-adrenaline movie with an attractive young cast while staying true to spirit of the original series. J.J. Abrhams has, in effect, done for Star Trek what Christopher Nolan did for Batman: get rid of the cheesy elements that made the series a laughing-stock while drawing out the raw power of the core themes and characters. Just like Nolan, Abrams has allowed the nerds to say to the mainstream public: "See? That's why we're so into this!"

The story is good and the jokes hit the mark about 80% of the time, but the cast is where it's at. Chris Pine is makes for an entertainingly arrogant Kirk, and Heroes' Zachary Quinto is fine as Spock, but I'm all about the supporting cast, especially Zoe Saldana's strong Uhura, Karl Urban's (The Lord of the Rings) suprisingly funny take on Bones McCoy, and the pies de resistance, Simon Pegg, underused but awesome, as Scotty. If you've seen Shaun of the Dead and/or Hot Fuzz, you know Simon Pegg is the shiz. The Leonard Nimoy cameo is perfect, the action thrilling. My grade: A
January 17, 2017
JJ Abrahams makes Star Trek great again with this fantastic film that both fans and newbies will love.
January 15, 2017
I'm in love with Spock, is that wired?
½ January 14, 2017
This is not your parent's Star Trek. Led by Abrams sharp and hard hitting style, Star Trek is filled to the brim with action and engrossing interaction between its terrific young cast.
January 7, 2017
As the first ever Star Trek movie I've ever seen, 2009's "Star Trek" gave off a very pleasing first impression to the franchise. The main point of the movie was to get across the backstories of Captain Kirk (Chris Pine), and Spock (Zachary Quinto), and that was done very well, both characters making the movie interesting, and very entertaining. However, as much as I enjoyed the movie, I feel like more could've been added to it to take it to the next level. At the end, I felt as though not much really happened, in fact looking back, all I really remember is the feud between Kirk and Spock, and the time travelling scenes. The acting was solid, for the most part, except for a weak villain, which I found took away from the movie's shine. At the end of the day, though, "Star Trek" came out as one of the more memorable movies of 2009, and a good start to the reboot series, which after seeing this one, I will definitely be watching. If you are a sci-fi fan, or specifically a Star Trek fan, you will love this movie, but for the casual movie watcher, it feels like it's missing a few elements, but still a very enjoyable time nonetheless. "Star Trek" is worth watching if you're bored.
January 7, 2017
Star Trek is a really good movie, good characters, good writing, good good
½ January 7, 2017
My full opinion: 4.5/5.
January 4, 2017
A nearly perfect movie, created with love and humor. I have watched this at least a dozen times and counting.
January 3, 2017
Was blown away but this reboot/addition. Very well done.
January 2, 2017
A fresh take on a classic adventure, Star Trek breathes new life into the series while keeping much of what made Star Trek direct competition for Star Wars.
January 1, 2017
This has a wonderful cast, an entertaining story, excellent direction, and an outstanding score.
December 30, 2016
A breath of fresh air.
December 29, 2016
Definetly the BEST Star Trek film, its well put together, good memorable cast, and shows the series at its strongest!
½ December 27, 2016
A disaster if you know the original serie and characters
December 26, 2016
Bold, exciting, re-orbit of the original Star Trek does a good job recasting the roles of the classic Starship Enterprise crew, and giving the ship a CG refit. Their first adventure captures the charisma of the original series, but not the sense of wonder. This Enterprise seems more fitted to destroy new worlds than seek them out.
December 22, 2016
Awesome movie
Soooo much better then the TV show
Great Movie.
December 20, 2016
A re-imagining of Star Trek... okay. It was not bad. Getting a different perspective on the lives of characters I knew pretty well, was refreshing. However... while Nero's motivation was understandable, his plan & execution was really dumb. But that's ok, it was a decent start to something new.
December 13, 2016
It's a sequel to the prequel (Enterprise) but also a prequel to TOS.
They should stop going back in time. Go forward - that's what WE as audiance want. Enterprise got bad ratings, and was cancelled, I think mostly in part because they went back in time. You can't do that, and have canonical continuity. I'll see the movie because I am a Trek-a-holic. But I'll rate it fairly.
December 11, 2016
I grew up in a trekkie family. In the age-old question of Star Wars versus Star Trek, I'm firmly in the Star Trek camp. As a kid I always wanted to watch 'the one with the whales' - commonly known as 4 The Voyage Home. So when it was announced that Star Trek was getting a reboot I was sceptical (I'm also not a massive fan of reboots, which didn't help either). Thankfully, this didn't disappoint.

They start off with the extremely convenient plot point of a time travelling Romulan leading us to multiple timelines. This helps eradicate any fandom issues, giving the writers a clean slate. Smart.

Even with a separate timeline, the main fan worry was probably the casting of a new Spock. Zachary Quinto is amazing. He really was built to play this role. Stepping in to such big shoes had to be overwhelming and nerve-wracking but he doesn't just pull this off, he embodies Spock. Chris Pine plays Kirk well, he's brash and cocky, smart-mouthed and suave. The rest of the supporting cast, Saldana, Urban (especially), Pegg, Yelchin and Cho also step into their roles and execute them with great aplomb.

The story is good here, the early years of the Enterprise crew that we all know well. The dialogue is fast-paced, full of in-jokes and references for the die-hard fans. The CGI is good, it had to be. The villain (Bana) is good and I didn't even recognise him on first or second viewing.

A strong start to the rebooted series of films.
½ November 27, 2016