Stay Reviews

• Dec 26, 2020

Surrealism, Art and Mind. I love how this movie mix these two themes in a well detailed psychological thriller, with an exceptional camera work.

• Nov 25, 2020

This movie is visually beautiful, psychologically challenging, and emotionally intense. I suppose it's of no surprise that it gets overlooked by so many critics because of its unashamed style in storytelling. It's one of my favorite movies. Loses half a star only because the twist ending is similar to other movies' twists, but that makes it no less beautiful to me. Ryan Gosling is the best part of this movie, by the way. If anything, see this movie to have your heartstrings pulled by his performance.

• Nov 13, 2020

Mom and I both agreed that this was a waste of an hour and a half. It gave mom a headache. Left us both confused. The only reason why we watched to the end was that we thought it would miraculously come together and make sense. Nope. Oh well.

• Oct 20, 2020

Good movie would recommend as it's not what you'd expect

Good movie would recommend as it's not what you'd expect

• Aug 24, 2020

Stylized muddle of pretentious editing and tech "wizardry". Gave me a headache trying to follow the plot. Probably best viewed completely baked.

• Aug 21, 2020

Anyone who says they get the ending is a liar. The only reason I watched this horrific mess to the end, was to have the twist ending explain it all. It didn't. Everyone I said this to, took it as a challenge, and they failed to understand it. I'll be honest... Never in my life, has a movie pissed me off more. The writer is a pretentious idiot who doesn't understand it himself.

• Aug 21, 2020

This was better than I expected. I think it's biggest problem with critics might have been that it wasn't classified as ‘psychological horror' which is what I would call it. This is good and gives a good feel for what it's like to live with the circumstances rather than promise the viewer that there is some happy ending waiting for them. Maybe critics don't like this because they want the audience to love it's themes of suicide and death thus becoming an unwilling suicidal masochist. I still liked it though. 3 1/2 of 5

• Aug 06, 2020

Some spoilers ahead, plus lots of philosophical rambling This movie is a lot of things. It's hard for me to explain all the ways it has affected me, and exactly what I think about it, but I know for sure I can't say enough good things about it, technically or aesthetically. I think if the standard by which to judge a movie is its effectiveness, then this movie *excelled*. A comedy makes us laugh--it is therefore good. Horror makes us feel some flavor of Bad, then it's good. This movie, I think, was meant to make us think, and dig through the puzzle pieces, and think some more, so if you're the kind of person who likes to think about your movies way too much, then this movie IS GOOD. It's effective at what it was trying to accomplish. I've seen it countless times now over the years and it's one of my favorites, but I still find myself spotting a new detail or symbol each time and pondering over it. I honestly don't think the ending "erased" the entire movie, as many people have complained. It is not just an "it was all a dream" cop-out movie where nothing makes sense the entire time and then it ends with a BS explanation. Everything in the movie makes sense, and it has meaning and purpose, it's beautiful and tragic, psychological and philosophical. I see that complaint a lot, about it being a cop-out or a waste of time because it was all a "dream," and at first I understood it (especially after the first time). But after a few more viewings, not only did I start noticing more and having more of those "ah-ha!" moments, but it also started to make me think about ego death, consciousness, and the concept of human interconnectedness (like in Buddhism for example). It made me think about how I imagine the process of dying affects your consciousness--your identity vanishes and your memories just splice into each other as the last of your neurons fire away, losing the memories and pieces of yourself that make you You, and eventually you lose your entire self into the "nothing" of death. You lose your self and therefore can be anybody else, like how Henry and Sam trade places/identities in the movie a lot. So in a way, at least in my interpretation, it feels like everything in the movie DID happen and the events we saw DID matter, because essentially, they DID happen to Henry, and in a spiritual way maybe they happened to everyone else in the movie too, and maybe even us as viewers. That all sounds a bit hokey, but looking at it as a piece of art, I've decided that that's my interpretation of this incredibly ambitious and thoughtful story, and I love that it exists.

• Jul 13, 2020

I'm convinced i saw a completely different movie than critics because this movie is phenomenal. Great for repeat watches to pick up on all the little details. Gosling and McGreggor are great together. And my infatuation with Naomi Watts continues.

• May 12, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. Certainly, it was far from perfect but I really enjoyed how things became increasingly surreal as the movie begins to come to a conclusion. The ending was satisfying as well.