Sullivan's Travels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sullivan's Travels Reviews

½ June 4, 2016
Sullivan's Travels is a brilliant film that shows the importance of laughter, and why we need it.
June 3, 2016
Sullivan's Travels strikes many poses and excels whether operating as a fast paced comedy or tender, buddy-road flick.
½ April 10, 2016
Not as laugh-out-loud funny as some of Preston Sturges' other films of the forties (The Palm Beach Story, The Miracle of Morgan Creek) but possessed of one of those rare "high concepts" that hits the spot. In this case, Joel McCrea plays movie director John L. Sullivan who wants to make a picture about the down-and-out and their plight (to be called "O Brother Where Art Thou?") but he realizes that he hasn't actually known poverty and trouble himself. So, he decides (in bad taste) to go undercover as a tramp to see what the life is really like and when he runs into broke but aspiring actress Veronica Lake, she joins him. It takes a while for the studio to let him go and a large detachment of personnel - errr, character actors -- are sent in pursuit if and when trouble does descend. But getting there is basically all the fun in this film and when McCrea and Lake actually do meet the destitute, the film gets a bit gloomy. But Sturges pulls us out of it okay, with his usual ridiculously unbelievable plot mechanics and a grand wink about how no one really wants message films -- they just want to laugh to forget their troubles. Amen, brother.
February 24, 2016
Brilliant movie with literally every genre in it with extremely gorgeous Veronica Lake and beautiful direction. A classic for all time.
½ September 25, 2015
Mocking the ignorance of the upper class and their fetishization of poverty, Sullivan's Travels is a masterful, meta mashup of various genres of filmmaking, containing elements of the screwball comedy and self-aware satire of Hollywood "cause" pictures. It ultimate advocates for the acknowledgement of oppressed peoples and the systemic nature of their socio-economic standing while saluting the healing nature of comedy, a message especially relevant today in an environment where films just like the ones Sullivan's Travels parodies continue to be disproportionately recognized by the beltway awards system.
½ August 22, 2015
From the golden age of Hollywood - tells a story in 88 minutes that a modern studio would struggle go do in 3 hours. Slapstick to tragedy and back again. Docked just half a mark for the schmaltz ending.
July 16, 2015
Well written, directed, and acted this movie is quite modern, however if it was redone today would need some heavy tailoring to be plausible. Veronica Lake... what a gal.
½ July 6, 2015
it is ok. I do not understand the ratings on this.
June 7, 2015
"I certainly had a lot of nerve wanting to make a picture about human suffering."
½ May 13, 2015
Preston Sturges knows that every joke has a victim and decidedly makes him go through the hardships of poverty and anonymity for our own amusement.
The chemistry between Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake is the heart of this hilarious and life affirming meta-cinematic exercise.
½ May 9, 2015
An exceptionally well done film with lots of comedy, drama, and sincerity, exploring the guilt of making comedies while the rest of the world is suffering. Through all his travails, Sullivan realizes that comedy is more important and uplifting to the human spirit than he had once thought. A truly remarkable introspection proving the power of uplifting film.
½ February 18, 2015
I watched this ten days ago and I hardly remember anything about it. That's not a good sign. I do remember not finding it funny or that interesting.
January 25, 2015
An enjoyable comedy set in the forefront of the depression era in America. The film does tackle and raise social and political questions which still stand up today, however making a film revolving around a wealthy Hollywood producer meeting a down-on-her luck actress turned tramp is sort of hampered by the fact that she is played by a very well-known Hollywood actress and does not physically look poor at all. Unfortunately some aspects (like certain portrayals and acting) have not aged particularly well in this film.
½ January 22, 2015
This is considered a cinema classic so I checked it out, frankly I don't see why it is considered so great, it could have been I felt, the potential was there, it makes some good remarks about Hollywood and actors, but instead of being a smart comedy it resorts to all these dumb physical humor bits which seem very out of place, Lake starts out as a strong independent woman, an equal companion to McCrea, but she resorts to just being eye candy and just a romantic interest for him, also the whole bit with him going to jail is so contrived, i know they wanted to show him suffering for real, but it's so implausible how he gets there, plus his decision to not make dramatic films is based off one screening of prisoners laughing at a cartoon (unrealistically loud at that) so what is it bad then to make dramatic films showing the plight of the poor? cant both types of films coexist? Call me a hater then whatevs
January 20, 2015
oh Veronica you're delicious, great film!
January 18, 2015
because Veronica Lake is extremely beautiful
½ January 1, 2015
A brilliantly hilarious film about realist film-making. From examples like Luchino Visconti and Luis Bu˝uel, I believe an aristocratic is capable of making a film reflecting the true world.
December 26, 2014
Not what I thought it would...I thought it was going to be about the book where the man falls asleep for 20 years and it's back in like the middle age...I think I confused it with Gulliver's Travels. Anyways it had a great message about movies I think in general and it had a little bit of everything with humor, excitement, drama, love etc...Some great shots from the cinematographer. It knew how to poke fun at itself, but at the same time there were some scary and terrible parts that would sober you up for sure if only for a short while. It moved quickly and is a easy film that holds ur interest and has an interesting premise, even if a little bit far-fetched.
½ December 3, 2014
It has some tonal inconsistencies and the music is all over the place, but Sullivan's Travels also has assured direction from Preston Sturges, excellent cinematography, fine performances, superb script, beautiful ending and very important and wonderfully realized theme and message. The movies teaches us that despite their often lack of recognition, comedies are as important as any other genre by making everyone laugh and forget about life's hardships and therefore should be respected more.
November 28, 2014
Sullivan's Travels is a delightful movie by Preston Sturges with a satire of Hollywood lifestyle and the importance of comedy in the life of people, a relief for a couple of minutes for those that do not have other sort of entertainment.

Joel McCrea is very funny in the role of a naive director trying to find how the poor people live. Joel McCrae stars as a comedy film producer who is tired of making silly comedies and musicals for his studio. He wants to make films of social significance with a message about the troubles in today's world so he disguises himself and travels as a hobo to gather material for his next picture, a social statement about poverty. This is one of Veronica Lake's more appealing roles in her first feature role, although her character has no name other than "The Girl", as McCrae's traveling companion. Together, the two possessed excellent chemistry together.

The supporting cast includes Robert Warwick, William Demarest, Franklin Pangborn, Porter Hall, Byron Foulger, Margaret Hayes, Robert Greig and Eric Blore were great as Sullivan's hangers on who repeatedly try to rein him to Hollywood, if for no other reason than their own selfish interests.

After a lighthearted combination of drama and humor through much of the film, the film gets surprisingly dark in the last 20 minutes as McCrea goes through some very, very tough times.

Sullivan's Travels is a very funny film with the appeal of Lake, witty comedy, while not being one of Hollywood's ham fisted attempts at making a movie with a message. A movie which can be watched by all - essential for those lovers of classic cinema. Overall, this Preston Sturges-directed movie is good stuff and a classic film that deservedly still has a solid reputation.