Sullivan's Travels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sullivan's Travels Reviews

½ September 13, 2017
Sullivan?s Travels is a charming movie about a film director who thinks he will be able to make a more powerful dramatic film if he experiences the hardships of life lived by the poor. Things don?t go exactly as planned, which makes for a comedy of errors. I found myself laughing a lot at the many attempts to leave Hollywood that just kept leading him back, but the funnier part was the snappy banter between all the characters. Veronica Lake joins Joel McCrea for a good portion of the film, and their back-and-forth dialogue is a huge highlight for me.

I suspect that Sullivan?s Travels was self-referential in many places, it seemed Preston Sturges (the director of this movie) was speaking through the story. The script asks a big question about what the world needs in difficult times. Do we long for the dark truth of our situation to be shown in film, or do we want the release of a hearty laugh? This is a timeless question that would be relevant in a film from any era. And frankly, I think this movie decides the answer to that big question is exactly the answer I would give, but I won?t spoil that for you here.

There was very little that wasn?t a huge success for me in Sullivan?s Travels. I found the acting from all the cast to be spot on, the script was funny and touching, and the look of the movie was good. If I were to start nitpicking details I might call out some of the montages as being a little too long, and the more serious tone of the third act was a little off from the tone of the rest of the film. However, I don?t really want to look at the negatives in this movie. I had so much fun with Sullivan?s Travels, and I?m willing to bet it will become a favorite when I watch it more in the future (and I will be watching this one again, without question.)
August 25, 2017
A Classic worth a re-watch.
June 14, 2017
Veronica Lake lovely, but the acting and script doesn't hold up well at all
½ May 2, 2017
Great fun amazing movie
April 28, 2017
4-6-2017

Original rating: 12-21-2012 (9/10)
½ March 12, 2017
Get people's with eccentric movie people and plots.
February 5, 2017
Had some good moments, but it was all a bit of a mess. The second half really dragged on too. Lady Eve was excellent, but this was mediocre at best.
December 30, 2016
Comedy and satire about the human condition
½ December 28, 2016
A feel good comedy reminding us what's important in the day to day grind.
½ June 4, 2016
Sullivan's Travels is a brilliant film that shows the importance of laughter, and why we need it.
June 3, 2016
Sullivan's Travels strikes many poses and excels whether operating as a fast paced comedy or tender, buddy-road flick.
½ April 10, 2016
Not as laugh-out-loud funny as some of Preston Sturges' other films of the forties (The Palm Beach Story, The Miracle of Morgan Creek) but possessed of one of those rare "high concepts" that hits the spot. In this case, Joel McCrea plays movie director John L. Sullivan who wants to make a picture about the down-and-out and their plight (to be called "O Brother Where Art Thou?") but he realizes that he hasn't actually known poverty and trouble himself. So, he decides (in bad taste) to go undercover as a tramp to see what the life is really like and when he runs into broke but aspiring actress Veronica Lake, she joins him. It takes a while for the studio to let him go and a large detachment of personnel - errr, character actors -- are sent in pursuit if and when trouble does descend. But getting there is basically all the fun in this film and when McCrea and Lake actually do meet the destitute, the film gets a bit gloomy. But Sturges pulls us out of it okay, with his usual ridiculously unbelievable plot mechanics and a grand wink about how no one really wants message films -- they just want to laugh to forget their troubles. Amen, brother.
February 24, 2016
Brilliant movie with literally every genre in it with extremely gorgeous Veronica Lake and beautiful direction. A classic for all time.
½ September 25, 2015
Mocking the ignorance of the upper class and their fetishization of poverty, Sullivan's Travels is a masterful, meta mashup of various genres of filmmaking, containing elements of the screwball comedy and self-aware satire of Hollywood "cause" pictures. It ultimate advocates for the acknowledgement of oppressed peoples and the systemic nature of their socio-economic standing while saluting the healing nature of comedy, a message especially relevant today in an environment where films just like the ones Sullivan's Travels parodies continue to be disproportionately recognized by the beltway awards system.
½ August 22, 2015
From the golden age of Hollywood - tells a story in 88 minutes that a modern studio would struggle go do in 3 hours. Slapstick to tragedy and back again. Docked just half a mark for the schmaltz ending.
July 16, 2015
Well written, directed, and acted this movie is quite modern, however if it was redone today would need some heavy tailoring to be plausible. Veronica Lake... what a gal.
½ July 6, 2015
it is ok. I do not understand the ratings on this.
June 7, 2015
"I certainly had a lot of nerve wanting to make a picture about human suffering."
½ May 13, 2015
Preston Sturges knows that every joke has a victim and decidedly makes him go through the hardships of poverty and anonymity for our own amusement.
The chemistry between Joel McCrea and Veronica Lake is the heart of this hilarious and life affirming meta-cinematic exercise.
½ May 9, 2015
An exceptionally well done film with lots of comedy, drama, and sincerity, exploring the guilt of making comedies while the rest of the world is suffering. Through all his travails, Sullivan realizes that comedy is more important and uplifting to the human spirit than he had once thought. A truly remarkable introspection proving the power of uplifting film.