Sully Reviews

• Aug 13, 2019

2019-2-23 How come I had tears from the beginning to the end ?? Making a lot of money maybe makes you good. Doing something right makes you great. This is a Tom Hanks' movie !!

• Aug 04, 2019

Director Clint Eastwood wisely directs this movie about the airline pilot who has to land his plane on the Hudson River shorty after take-off without gimmicks or melodrama. It is a simple telling of the tale which allows the extraordinary nature of what happened to stand on its own. Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger and his crew show just how extraordinary people can be when placed in extraordinary situations. I can well remember the footage on the news programmes when it happened and seeing this story unfold, the bravery of those involved and the initially shocking way in which Sully and his co-pilot Jeff Skiles were treated by the accident investigators is sobering and genuinely moving. The fact that one mans split-second decision based on years of experience meant that every single passenger and crew member survived is remarkable. I think few actors other than Tom Hanks could have put in such a beautifully observed and assured performance in the lead role, he is genuinely moving in this role. This is a proper "feel-good" movie that is unsentimental and genuinely worth watching.

• Aug 01, 2019

A stunning and very raw film that tells the true story of the plane that landed in a river before the crash. The film is exciting and deep and from the beginning you feel like you feel what they felt on the plane: an incredible sense of anxiety and fear that keeps you glued to the screen from start to finish

• Jul 20, 2019

Clint Eastwood doesn’t always make good films, but when he does, he makes them really good. A compelling well-structured drama with an excellent central performance by Tom Hanks.

• Jun 17, 2019

It's a good movie, but I found it a little bit slow and boring at times.

It's a good movie, but I found it a little bit slow and boring at times.

• May 31, 2019

Hugely immersive. Don't watch if you have a fear of flying though.

Hugely immersive. Don't watch if you have a fear of flying though.

• Mar 20, 2019

Great movie. Great telling based on a trues story. "Miracle on the Hudson."

Great movie. Great telling based on a trues story. "Miracle on the Hudson."

• Jan 28, 2019

I like what Eastwood did with the structure. He doesn't spent the first half of the movie showing the disaster then the second half showing the aftermath. There is tension here beyond just the crash (or water landing). The NTSB simulation scenes were very interesting. I'm not sure if the NTSB was like that in real life, but I did think they were played a little too antagonistically here. I also thought the relationship between Sully and his wife was a little underdeveloped. But those are small issues in what otherwise was a very solid movie.

• Jan 27, 2019

Okay I guess, just not a very compelling character arc (ie not a very dynamic journey for the lead - he was right, he was sure he was right, he missed his wife, he was proven right).

• Jan 06, 2019

Nicely made drama bends the real events into a story, in which the hero is forced to vindicate himself confronted with bureaucratic antagonism.