Supergirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Supergirl Reviews

August 30, 2017
For a 80s super hero film its not bad
½ August 15, 2017
Not as bad as everyone says. It's now pretty much a classic anyways
½ August 10, 2017
What happens when you take talented performers like Faye Dunaway and Peter O'Toole and put them in a Superman spin off? Well obviously if I'm asking, you, of course, get a piece of shit!

The first problem comes right away, as you are given no exposition what so ever, instead given very brief introductions to new characters, as if we are expected to know who the hell they are! A girl named Kara Zor-El (Helen Slater) is part of a community of surviving Kryptonians in a pocket of trans-dimensional space called Argo City! As I said before, no exposition! I would have liked to have been shown or told how these people managed to escape Krypton! If I am to go off the continuity of the first Superman film, nobody was told that the planet would explode, as of course, the Supreme Council kept Jor-El from warning anybody, because they thought it was only a bogus theory!

But no, instead meet Zaltar(Peter O'Toole) leader of this community of continuity errors! He ends up stealing and eventually losing some gonad looking thing called the Omegahedron. So instead of going after it himself, Kara goes instead, whilst Zaltar demands to be put into the Phantom Zone as their civilization is about to be destroyed yet again! If you ask me that's a pretty cowardly move! What happened to a captain going down with his ship?
Anyways, we are then "introduced" to our villain, A witch named Selena ( Faye Dunaway). Selena bitches to her boyfriend or whatever named Nigel (Peter Cook) about how she wants the World, when suddenly that Omegahedron falls into her chip dip or whatever that shit was! She grabs it, goes insane out of nowhere, and steals Nigels Car!

And now for some special effect feces! Kara is flying through some shitty sound stage with flashing lights and crashes her pod right into a body of water, only to then burst out fully costumed in a Supergirl outfit! I mean why the hell not? This movie has already shown that it doesn't give a rats schlong about continuity, so why not just give her the costume right away? But wait it gets better, she proceeds to pick a flower and uses her heat vision to make it bloom and somehow not start a forest fire!

Back to Mommie Dearest, who comes home to some abandoned building and boasts to her room mate about no longer having to pay any bills, for she has some shitty plastic ball that fell out of the sky! Jump cut to Supergirl stopping at a truck stop only to have two truckers attempt to rape her, whilst speaking in a mediocre Jack Nicholson Impression! Pretty stupid move as they obviously saw her fly down, therefore knowing she could kick both of their asses easily! Which of course she does, nailing both in the balls so hard they fly into the air! Remember the epic fight in the city with General Zod in Superman 2? Yeah well, forget about seeing anything cool like that at all throughout the entire 2-hour movie! In fact, there is really no point in me even continue delving any further into the rest of the plot!

All you need to know is that the special effects look like they are from the 50's when this is an 80's film. The story is boring, confusing, and lacks any continuity or logic! The acting is either way over the top or way under performed! And worst of all, the characters are all uninteresting to the point where you don't even give a damn what happens to any of them.

You could say it's so bad it's good, but I say it's just a Super Turd! 1.5/5 stars.
July 28, 2017
The story is terribly constructed, making many forced shortcuts to get it to where it wants to be which are narratively lazy and lack sense or subtlety, leaving you scratching your head. Whilst the first Superman movie managed to introduce Krypton, Smallville, the Daily Planet and the villains without feeling overstuffed, Supergirl uses fewer locations yet feels like it's trying to bite off more than it can chew. The school scenes aren't bad with a likeable supporting cast and some funny dialogue, but they also throw into sharp relief the blandness of the hero and how uninvolving her story is. The villains are sometimes fun in a campy way, but they quickly become irritating and although the decision for them to use magic is a good one to challenge an indestructible protagonist, but her powers are ill-defined and since she seems to be imbued with extra ones for the sake of the aforementioned shortcuts, the magic doesn't offer a contrast and simply adds to the confusion of events. There are a smattering of decent setpieces, but for the majority of its runtime it's still deficient in anything to interest or entertain viewers.
July 18, 2017
Helen Slater was a really good choice to portray Supergirl and her adaptation to Earth was quite charming. On the other hand, the film was very prone to bad pacing, sometimes going too slow and sometimes going too fast without even bothering to justify the inexplicable dark spots of its meagre plot. The witchcraft element felt a little out of place, although it would have helped if the action scenes were more consistently compelling at least. Still, this '80s b-movie isn't without its charms.
½ July 11, 2017
It's a pity that this movie is so terrible because Helen Slater makes a good Supergirl and there's a fine cast around her. But the plot is poor, little makes sense and the whole thing often comes off as some kind of unintentional spoof.
June 19, 2017
MEU DEU! Isso existe? Onde eu acho essa pérola?
½ May 14, 2017
Stupid but not as awful as I expected
March 16, 2017
great show super girl
March 14, 2017
No wonder they killed her in Crisis following this.
September 23, 2016
Cheesy, boring, and nonsensical, this movie ruins the title character.
September 16, 2016
Supergirl(1984)
Starring: Faye Dunaway, Helen Slater, Peter O'Toole, Hart Bochner, Mia Farrow, Brenda Vaccro, Marc McClure, Peter Cook, and Mia Frewer
Directed By: Jeannot Szwarc
Review
From out of another galaxy and into your hearts comes... Supergirl
I'm going to be reviewing one superhero movie a month and well for this month(even though I wanted this one to be later) I got Supergirl. After Superman IV: The Quest for peace the name Superman became a product for money and no genuinely cared about making a superhero movie anymore. However they decided to change it up a bit instead of it being Superman again they decide to use his cousin Kara/Supergirl.
After losing a powerful orb, Kara, Superman's cousin, comes to Earth to retrieve it and instead finds herself up against a wicked witch.
This movie fracking sucks. By the look of this movie, you can tell that no one gave a crap about the source material which is very sad because I hate every single female hero in the DC except the three known as Supergirl, Starfire, and Zatana. Supergirl being my favorite. The producers said lets throw in a love story, let's make the villain an evil female who's jealous and wants to be pretty, manipulative and have everyone be her slave. We can't have Supergirl save the planet, or do something noble it has to be a giant cat fight, that's what happens when old straight white men write stories about strong young women. They just want to be pretty, the music is very bland and almost like not their and doesn't engage me in the film. Which I find to be very odd because I put the disc in and I hear the John Williams Superman theme in the main menu so I'm thinking maybe this movie might be a little engaging but no it isn't. The effects are terrible as well because they just look so much better in other 80 films. I'm giving this film a one out of five.
September 9, 2016
I love the nostalgia of this movie always remember watching it as a kid, few comical bits and Helen slater is great as supergirl worth the watch if you haven't seen it before!
July 14, 2016
this is a film that Critics love to hate. The fact that everyone was expecting just a generic female version of superman, they missed the entire point of the film. Im not going to go into a big speal about a strong female figure, or empowering women, those facts are blaitant.
The point of this film was to tell a completely different story, away for the superman franchise. why have more of the same?
The superman films dipicted a big strong man coming along to save the helpless woman and save the earth. Supergirl tells a story in a more fairytale like way. Supergirl being transported to a strange planet to fight the evil witch and her horrible monsters, and save her home.
This film has been a favourite of mine since i was 6 years old, and still remains one today.
i will admit watching this as a 20 something year old i clearly see that some of the acting and diologue verges on cheesy, but the story itself is still remarkable.
A few points need outstanding praise. the score by Jerry goldsmith is amazing. in my opinion surpassed the superman score performed by john Williams. This was the first role that helen slater (supergirl) ever landed, and she is flawless as the maiden of steel.
I highly recommend this film and consider it a classic.
July 11, 2016
The score is good. That is the only good thing I can say about this movie. It's badly shot, acted, written and edited. I don't what they were thinking when they decided to make this character completely boring and uninteresting. To improve watch the new show, it's a million times better.
May 28, 2016
hhahahahahahhahahahahahahaahahaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa o god this film is so bad its funny
May 17, 2016
When talking about effects, keep in mind this is a 1984 movie. The effects were no different than those on the Superman franchise of the same era.
April 25, 2016
Admittedly a failure but one i always loved since i was 5 and i hold it dear.
I know its badly written but some parts are real fun, like the beginning and the phantom zone. Peter o'Toole is memorable and Helen Slater does a very good job, showing strenght and charisma despite the lack of consideration the movie shows for her, the main. And there's Faye Dunaway, at her utmost epic scene chewery giantness. Theres really nothing like her, not on that level, it transcend camp into art and she knows it.
March 30, 2016
This a great movie. Superman is better. Superman II is better. Superman IV the quest for peace is also better. Superman returns is better. Man of steel is better. Batman vs Superman dawn of the justice league is also better. Still this is a good movie. See it.
½ February 29, 2016
Oh my gosh, how bad ca a movie get.