Supergirl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Supergirl Reviews

September 23, 2016
Cheesy, boring, and nonsensical, this movie ruins the title character.
September 16, 2016
Supergirl(1984)
Starring: Faye Dunaway, Helen Slater, Peter O'Toole, Hart Bochner, Mia Farrow, Brenda Vaccro, Marc McClure, Peter Cook, and Mia Frewer
Directed By: Jeannot Szwarc
Review
From out of another galaxy and into your hearts comes... Supergirl
I'm going to be reviewing one superhero movie a month and well for this month(even though I wanted this one to be later) I got Supergirl. After Superman IV: The Quest for peace the name Superman became a product for money and no genuinely cared about making a superhero movie anymore. However they decided to change it up a bit instead of it being Superman again they decide to use his cousin Kara/Supergirl.
After losing a powerful orb, Kara, Superman's cousin, comes to Earth to retrieve it and instead finds herself up against a wicked witch.
This movie fracking sucks. By the look of this movie, you can tell that no one gave a crap about the source material which is very sad because I hate every single female hero in the DC except the three known as Supergirl, Starfire, and Zatana. Supergirl being my favorite. The producers said lets throw in a love story, let's make the villain an evil female who's jealous and wants to be pretty, manipulative and have everyone be her slave. We can't have Supergirl save the planet, or do something noble it has to be a giant cat fight, that's what happens when old straight white men write stories about strong young women. They just want to be pretty, the music is very bland and almost like not their and doesn't engage me in the film. Which I find to be very odd because I put the disc in and I hear the John Williams Superman theme in the main menu so I'm thinking maybe this movie might be a little engaging but no it isn't. The effects are terrible as well because they just look so much better in other 80 films. I'm giving this film a one out of five.
September 9, 2016
I love the nostalgia of this movie always remember watching it as a kid, few comical bits and Helen slater is great as supergirl worth the watch if you haven't seen it before!
July 14, 2016
this is a film that Critics love to hate. The fact that everyone was expecting just a generic female version of superman, they missed the entire point of the film. Im not going to go into a big speal about a strong female figure, or empowering women, those facts are blaitant.
The point of this film was to tell a completely different story, away for the superman franchise. why have more of the same?
The superman films dipicted a big strong man coming along to save the helpless woman and save the earth. Supergirl tells a story in a more fairytale like way. Supergirl being transported to a strange planet to fight the evil witch and her horrible monsters, and save her home.
This film has been a favourite of mine since i was 6 years old, and still remains one today.
i will admit watching this as a 20 something year old i clearly see that some of the acting and diologue verges on cheesy, but the story itself is still remarkable.
A few points need outstanding praise. the score by Jerry goldsmith is amazing. in my opinion surpassed the superman score performed by john Williams. This was the first role that helen slater (supergirl) ever landed, and she is flawless as the maiden of steel.
I highly recommend this film and consider it a classic.
July 11, 2016
The score is good. That is the only good thing I can say about this movie. It's badly shot, acted, written and edited. I don't what they were thinking when they decided to make this character completely boring and uninteresting. To improve watch the new show, it's a million times better.
May 28, 2016
hhahahahahahhahahahahahahaahahaahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahaa o god this film is so bad its funny
May 17, 2016
When talking about effects, keep in mind this is a 1984 movie. The effects were no different than those on the Superman franchise of the same era.
April 25, 2016
Admittedly a failure but one i always loved since i was 5 and i hold it dear.
I know its badly written but some parts are real fun, like the beginning and the phantom zone. Peter o'Toole is memorable and Helen Slater does a very good job, showing strenght and charisma despite the lack of consideration the movie shows for her, the main. And there's Faye Dunaway, at her utmost epic scene chewery giantness. Theres really nothing like her, not on that level, it transcend camp into art and she knows it.
March 30, 2016
This a great movie. Superman is better. Superman II is better. Superman IV the quest for peace is also better. Superman returns is better. Man of steel is better. Batman vs Superman dawn of the justice league is also better. Still this is a good movie. See it.
½ February 29, 2016
Oh my gosh, how bad ca a movie get.
December 10, 2015
Helen Slater, the innocent, perky superheroine, sure is something to look at, unlike the tacky special effects which service a movie that feels more like a self-parody than a Superman spinoff.
December 2, 2015
So bad... the cousin of Superman deserves so much more, just just bad.
½ November 22, 2015
This could have been such a great movie. Helen Slater is very good as Supergirl, although there could have been a bit more depth to her. Even Superman tie-ins are promising. But it isn't a good movie. And that's because it is a terrible, terrible story.
October 1, 2015
Why Peter O'Toole?

Supergirl is basically like Superman 3 & 4 all over again. Corny one liners that can make everyone cringe, bad visual effect's and flat directing. Overall Supergirl is just another bad superhero flick.
½ August 19, 2015
Worse than Superman 3 and 4 put together.
August 10, 2015
Despite it's flaws I will always love and enjoy this film. It's magical, sugar sweet, warm and filled with good hearted soul. Helen Slater was perfectly casted as Supergirl in a movie that is just simply fun to watch. Great 80s cheese that never takes itself too seriously.
July 1, 2015
I'm a huge superhero fan I loved the supergirl movie. It was a old one but I'm a sucker when it come to superheros. I can wait for the new superman vs batman movie!
June 13, 2015
I loved this movie so much as a kid, but sadly I rewatched it as an adult and realized that my parents were right: it is a terrible movie.