Surf's Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surf's Up Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
A fantastic parody of reality TV with convincing camera work that makes the mockumentary elements extremely convincing. The voice-acting is superb (featuring Napoleon Dynamite himself Jon Heder as a chicken!! That will never not be awesome!) and the animation is beautiful. Though the plot can be a bit predictable and the overall premise is sort of recycled, the style and characterization is so great that that doesn't hinder the quality of the movie too severely. Surf's Up is one of my favorite animated movies and is one of e more unique animations that you'll see, it's "Great!"
½ October 2, 2016
One of the only good Sony Animated movies out there. Right with Open Season as the best.
September 25, 2016
I think this film is very well put together. It has great vocal performances, especially by Shia LaBeouf and Jeff Bridges, likeable characters, a decent story, witty and funny dialogue, and the fact that the film is about surfing allows for very beautiful imagery. It also mocks the documentary genre in fun and inventive way. I really like it's laid-back and relaxing atmosphere. But I think what really makes the film stand out is that it does give a fresh spin on elements people have seen before, Though the story has been done before, it's delivered in a pretty unique and interesting way. It's a good example of a film that has a story and characters that have been done countless times before, but the execution is so good that it makes it enjoyable. I guess the only problem I have is that they could've fleshed out the romance between Cody and Nani more. In my opinion, it's a very good film. Not spectacular, but I don't think it's supposed to be. I love it. Surf's Up is a fun, cool, heartwarming good time that the whole family can enjoy
½ September 4, 2016
The best film Sony ever made i'm callin it
June 19, 2016
Most underrated movie of this century. Brilliant, clever and funny.
½ June 18, 2016
I loved this movie a lot. One of the funniest movies I've ever watched. I forgot how great and funny it was until I just watched it again recently. I think this movie, the Shrek movies (especially the first) and The Lego Movie are the funniest animated movies I've ever watched. They also had just amazing animation in this movie. Best animated water I've ever seen in a movie. Also the voice cast is just awesome, including some great talent such as Shia Labeouf, Zooey Deschanel and Jeff Bridges. And Zooey is just adorable to listen to. Also the guy who played Chicken Joe was just super awesome and hilarious. Fun fact: Same guy who played Napoleon Dynamite. One small problem in this otherwise amazing movie is the part where Cody is accused of just caring about winning. I never felt that once from him. To me, he was just achieving his dream at competing, and it's just common sense that he'd want to win, but I still don't think that's all he cares about. And the fact that he made the finals and Geek and Lina (the female penguin) didn't seem to care, is ridiculous. They just saw him to do a wipeout two days before. But after that part, all was well again. And I'd also like to add the whole documentary style was just hilarious and unique and it made it so you could understand the characters a lot more than other animated movies and it felt more interactive. Especially when they kind of broke the fourth wall in a way which was also hilarious. And one more thing, the soundtrack was just awesome as well. A lot of great chosen songs throughout, that go very well with the scenes. Just a great movie and I recommend everyone to see it. So many great things about it. I've also always loved penguins.
May 9, 2016
This is as original a movie as you will find. The humor and dialog are excellent and the animation has unique styles throughout the movie.
½ May 1, 2016
Although the first 1/3 of the movie is slow and average, the emotion, beauty and comedy combined with subtlety shows pure entertainment. It makes the most of its low budget and all the characters [except Tank] are fun and original.
½ February 17, 2016
An animated documentary about surfing penguins. When you hear about a movie like that, it sounds really stupid. But this animated movie is actually really funny and creative. The surfing action is top notch and when the penguins interact with each other it really feels like they're people in a surfing documentary. Honestly, I think that adults would enjoy it more than kids. The jokes are more intended for the older audience even though it was marketed for the younger audience. It's not as good as Pixar's or Disney's stuff but it's still fun to watch.
½ February 2, 2016
i heard it was pretty good
January 26, 2016
A animation film that I enjoy even with flaws.
½ January 4, 2016
Surprisingly entertaining, and adorably self-aware. A nice change of pace from the usual fare.
December 31, 2015
I wish there was a "Might See It" button cuz thats what this would be. I don't see this being as good as a Happy Feet or even an Over the Hedge because it basically has a B level cast. Prediction: 3
December 6, 2015
Jeff Briges? You mean Jeffrey fucking Lebowski!?!? I'm seeing this movie now
½ December 4, 2015
An interesting take on surfing and an over all enjoyable take on surfing that the whole family will actually enjoy surfs up succeeds where many others have failed. Surfs up is able to keep its cool and remain appropriate with out resorting to juvenile themes a surprisingly hard task for these kinds of films. It also excels in promoting the amazing sport of surfing. It also finds originality in its use of penguins as surfers which is very clever. If you have interest in surfing and are trying to find a film for the whole family don't hesitate go and rent surfs up
October 24, 2015
Very cool, very funny, great voice overs and the CGI was stunning. "Surfs Up" is a perfect film the whole family.
October 18, 2015
Surfs Up is one of those movie that was destined for failure. An animated movie trying to achieve a deep realm of thinking based on surfing in a documentary form, yea nothing but failure.But the weird thing is this movie didn't fail, it kinda rocked.

This movie had so many aspects that were unique and one of a kind but they all worked. The deep realm of thinking was achieved through light hearted dialogue and scenes with comedy relief woven in perfectly all tied together with something simple but beautiful such as surfing. These great aspects added to a cast of colorful characters with clear motives that can appeal to all ages.

This is a movie that I can see me watching for years to come. Every age group can gain something new from this film. It could be adult humor with Tank or metaphors that surfing provides. This movie will grow with the audience over the years and will keep giving something new time and time again.
August 21, 2015
A very funny film, the mockumentary lay out was done very well and there were some hilarious lines. Perhaps this is because I went into this movie with low expectations, but Surf's Up really is something special, and yet another successful Sony picture. Approached it with hesitance, but couldn't help love the colourful characters, the ambitious story line and fantastic CGI.
August 13, 2015
Hilarious, sad, and heartwarming at all the right times
July 25, 2015
I love penguins, so yeah, I want to see it!