Surf's Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Surf's Up Reviews

½ June 18, 2017
I haven't seen this movie since it was out in theaters, but I'm surprised I still remember what happens. Looking back on it, I don't think I would give it as much praise that others gave it, but there are definitely things to like.
June 12, 2017
The plot may be unoriginal, but the execution of it is what makes it stand out from the crowd. It may seem like your generic dreamer story, but the writing crew at Sony Pictures Animation really found a way to make it work. On top of that, the animation looks magnificent, and the characters are highly memorable.
½ June 8, 2017
A mockumentary style film that explores penguins but with their big passion for surfing.
Great voice talents by Shia Lebeouf, Zooey Deschanel, James Woods, and Jeff Bridges.
The animation is so impressive and sharp too.
Cody Maverick wants to be the best surfer like his idol Big Z. Z has been gone for a while so it's the perfect time for Maverick to carry on what he once made. He also befriends a mellow chicken named Joe who just goes with the flow. There are some slick filmmaking techniques here from the hand-held cam to the break-the-fourth-wall stuff plus poking fun at the nature film.
When you think penguins in a movie you assume an Oscar-winning actor narrating their life cycles but not this movie. The penguins get to share their own experiences on land and on the waves of the ocean.
½ June 1, 2017
Another animated penguin movie that fails to life itself above the crop.
½ May 10, 2017
Total "eh" movie. I'd watch it if it were on TV and my girlfriends parents were in town so I can put something on with clean humor, but I would not go out of my way again.
March 21, 2017
I didn't want to see it until I saw James Woods does a voice. Now I just //have// to.
½ February 20, 2017
I like it it's pretty good
February 13, 2017
I think this film is very, very well put together. It has great vocal performances, especially by Shia LaBeouf and Jeff Bridges, likeable characters, a decent story, witty and funny dialogue, and the fact that the film is about surfing allows for very beautiful imagery. It also mocks the documentary genre in fun and inventive way. I really like it's laid-back and relaxing atmosphere. But I think what really makes the film stand out is that it does give a fresh spin on elements people have seen before, Though the story has been done before, it's delivered in a pretty unique and interesting way thanks to the mockumentary style. It's a good example of a film that has a story and characters that have been done countless times before, but the execution is so good that it makes it enjoyable. I guess the only problem I have is that they could've fleshed out the romance between Cody and Nani more. In my opinion, it's a great film. I love it. Surf's Up is a fun, cool, heartwarming good time that the whole family can enjoy
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 25, 2017
Great movie from my childhood that I look back on with fond memories.
½ January 21, 2017
The mockumentary aspect did not work well. While I've seen worse, Surf's Up is undisputedly dumb and annoying. (First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
½ October 15, 2016
A fantastic parody of reality TV with convincing camera work that makes the mockumentary elements extremely convincing. The voice-acting is superb (featuring Napoleon Dynamite himself Jon Heder as a chicken!! That will never not be awesome!) and the animation is beautiful. Though the plot can be a bit predictable and the overall premise is sort of recycled, the style and characterization is so great that that doesn't hinder the quality of the movie too severely. Surf's Up is one of my favorite animated movies and is one of e more unique animations that you'll see, it's "Great!"
½ October 2, 2016
One of the only good Sony Animated movies out there. Right with Open Season as the best.
½ September 4, 2016
The best film Sony ever made i'm callin it
June 19, 2016
Most underrated movie of this century. Brilliant, clever and funny.
½ June 18, 2016
I loved this movie a lot. One of the funniest movies I've ever watched. I forgot how great and funny it was until I just watched it again recently. I think this movie, the Shrek movies (especially the first) and The Lego Movie are the funniest animated movies I've ever watched. They also had just amazing animation in this movie. Best animated water I've ever seen in a movie. Also the voice cast is just awesome, including some great talent such as Shia Labeouf, Zooey Deschanel and Jeff Bridges. And Zooey is just adorable to listen to. Also the guy who played Chicken Joe was just super awesome and hilarious. Fun fact: Same guy who played Napoleon Dynamite. One small problem in this otherwise amazing movie is the part where Cody is accused of just caring about winning. I never felt that once from him. To me, he was just achieving his dream at competing, and it's just common sense that he'd want to win, but I still don't think that's all he cares about. And the fact that he made the finals and Geek and Lina (the female penguin) didn't seem to care, is ridiculous. They just saw him to do a wipeout two days before. But after that part, all was well again. And I'd also like to add the whole documentary style was just hilarious and unique and it made it so you could understand the characters a lot more than other animated movies and it felt more interactive. Especially when they kind of broke the fourth wall in a way which was also hilarious. And one more thing, the soundtrack was just awesome as well. A lot of great chosen songs throughout, that go very well with the scenes. Just a great movie and I recommend everyone to see it. So many great things about it. I've also always loved penguins.
May 9, 2016
This is as original a movie as you will find. The humor and dialog are excellent and the animation has unique styles throughout the movie.
½ May 1, 2016
Although the first 1/3 of the movie is slow and average, the emotion, beauty and comedy combined with subtlety shows pure entertainment. It makes the most of its low budget and all the characters [except Tank] are fun and original.
½ February 17, 2016
An animated documentary about surfing penguins. When you hear about a movie like that, it sounds really stupid. But this animated movie is actually really funny and creative. The surfing action is top notch and when the penguins interact with each other it really feels like they're people in a surfing documentary. Honestly, I think that adults would enjoy it more than kids. The jokes are more intended for the older audience even though it was marketed for the younger audience. It's not as good as Pixar's or Disney's stuff but it's still fun to watch.
½ February 2, 2016
i heard it was pretty good