Sweet Home Alabama Reviews

• Jan 05, 2020

Unfortunately, my wife made me watch this last night and after watching it, I can honestly ask, why is this movie so popular? Reese is charming and the duo of Demsey and Lucas make for great opposites but that's about it. Maybe it's because I'm from the south and we all have to stick together. Anyways, give this a watch if you haven't seen it and then go see how much better her other movies are.

• Jul 13, 2019

It is a shame this movie did not get much love from people

It is a shame this movie did not get much love from people

• Jun 07, 2019

A quaint romantic comedy that brings Southern hospitality to the screen. Andy Tennant's romantic comedy Sweet Home Alabama (2002) is a fun story with a few neat twists and a lot of heart. Although the end is predictable, the ride there is sweet as molasses. I found Tennant's direction serviceable, if basic. Douglas J. Eboch's story is adorable, though riddled with cliches. I think C. Jay Cox' script brings a genuine warmth and Southern sincerity that makes Sweet Home Alabama ring true. I do find the underlying theme of democrats, Northerners, and liberals being bad to be tasteless and ridiculous in Sweet Home Alabama. The endless references to The Confederacy is dated, conservative, and odd. The South left The Union and should not be glorified as heroes in their own right. This rom-com makes a case on behalf of Southern to have a twisted pride over their past. I just don't think this makes for a good look or theme. Regardless, Reese Witherspoon is delightful and fierce as always as a Southern belle turned New York socialite designer, who is forced to go home to Alabama. Her charisma is as beguiling as her charm. Witherspoon brings a biting wit and quick delivery that is so natural to her. She elevates Sweet Home Alabama to a very sweet romance. Josh Lucas plays the distraught redneck and gentle lover well. His abrasive introduction yields a kinder inner peace that is interesting to watch unfold. Patrick Dempsey is kindly, yet dull as the democratic fiancee Reese's character. Fred Ward is hilarious as Earl. Mary Kay Place is endearing and commanding as Pearl. Candice Bergen is funny as the mayor of New York, with all of her elitism. Jean Smart is so direct and captivating. I liked her a lot in Sweet Home Alabama. Lastly, I must mention the ever kind friend played Ethan Embry, who gives his character a genuine warmth and likable personality. He feels rare in a Southern setting and a refreshing change of pace. The Southern rock soundtrack, beautiful natural surroundings, and Southern charm welcome you to a movie filled with laughter, emotion, and a cute coon dog. The scene with Reese Witherspoon in the coon dog graveyard is perhaps my favorite scene displaying Reese's dramatic talent as well as Josh Lucas' sympathetic portrayal of a man who lost the love of his life. The beach finale is lovely too! I think this is a sweet romantic comedy, despite its flaws.

• Jan 24, 2019

Very entertaining romantic comedy that will make you laugh and warm your heart!

Very entertaining romantic comedy that will make you laugh and warm your heart!

• Nov 26, 2018

This movie was an incredible testament of true love. Through good times and bad, no matter where life takes us, we always end up with who we're supposed to be with. Our soulmates. This film has an incredible cast, storyline and was perfectly well balanced with laughs, drama and feelgood moments.

• Nov 01, 2018

This is one of my favorite movies. Reese Witherspoon was great in this movie. It is a great great chick flick for a date night or a night with the girls.

• Oct 23, 2018

Unpredictable and cruel. The entire movie shows Melanie making fun of where she’s from and cringing with embarrassment. Right up to the night before her wedding she’s humiliated about her childhood environs. However, in the end, she’s magically proud of her roots? Also, to toss aside her groom at the alter and he weakly smiles and fades into sunset is so unrealistic. Too many romantic comedies showcases the female lead tossing aside the man she’s wanted all film to land with the man of their past with 5 minutes to spare.

• Jul 29, 2018

How can you not like this movie?

How can you not like this movie?

• Jul 20, 2018

Ugh I could watch this movie every day and not get tired of it.

Ugh I could watch this movie every day and not get tired of it.

• Apr 16, 2018

Home is where the heart is, no matter how much you try to cover up your roots!

Home is where the heart is, no matter how much you try to cover up your roots!