Sweetie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sweetie Reviews

½ January 29, 2015
Jane Campion has practically become Australia's premiere filmmaker (as well as one of international cinema's most renowned female directors), and it's easy to ascertain why just from watching her very first feature. A dark comedy that equally poses questions on suburbia and family, Campion expressed her idiosyncratic view here in spades. Shot with picturesque detail, and quiet and loud at all the right moments, Sweetie was an anomaly for it's day, and still doesn't quite resemble too many other films. For better or worse, Campion's latter films would only grow more serious, but this initial entry shows how fine a humorist she is.
½ July 19, 2014
Sweetie is a stunning film. It is about superstitious and introspective Kay believes she and Louis are destined to fall in love with each other. Genevieve Leon and Karen Colson give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Jane Campion did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and humor. Sweetie is a must see.
½ November 30, 2013
It's hard to sum up Sweetie, which happens to be one of the movie's strengths.
November 28, 2013
if there were more stars, I would give it ... more stars! Most original movie I've ever seen. So unique -it could not be a play, a remake, a novel - JC is obviously an incredible director to be able to get the entire cast and crew to 'get' this world and portray it for us - wow
½ November 3, 2013
One bizzare New Zealand film. The odd charecters drive this movie.
August 24, 2013
I'm kind of unsure about this movie, as the first half actually had me about a couple going from beginning of falling in love to the mundane part of their relationship, but then mid way her sister, Sweetie, enters and the movie seems to derail a bit into a dysfunctional family picture.

I honestly thought Sweetie was an awful character, well acted, but just one of those people in society you'd be disgusted with and felt the film suffered when it focused on her.

The rest of the acting was good, but the story never really goes anywhere.

Not a great film, but not a bad one either.
October 31, 2012
The first film from Jane Campion and what a romp it is! Many have attempted the family dysfunction film and while there are many other attempts worth notint, Campion proves very early on in her career that she is up for the tastk.
½ October 21, 2012
The strange characters make this movie!
½ September 1, 2012
This is exactly the kind of indie art house absurdist cinema that I would have LOVED back when this first came out. Although it's still interesting, I do find this kind of thing a little pretentious these days, not judged on it's own merits but due to all the stuff that has come out since this one premiered. If you have liked any of Jane Campion's films in the last 2 decades, then you would probably also like this.
August 18, 2012
What a great debut feature film from Jane Campion! A black comedy about a truly dysfunctional family that does not pass judgement on the characters but captures their strengths, weaknesses and eccentricities. Genevieve Lemon is simply superb as Sweetie.
½ February 14, 2012
Still Campion's best.
December 17, 2011
The feature debut of Jane Campion is to be admired and shows off her ability to take two completely different tones and mash them together. With that being said the clash in tones was too drastic for me personally. Especially the quirky off the wall comedy running into the disturbing mental illness stuff. But the performances by Colston and Lemon are very good. And it has more than a few quality moments.
½ December 14, 2011
One of the worst movies I have ever seen.
½ November 19, 2011
Shockingly great film. The style was absolutely amazing with very unique camera angles and a strange story.
½ November 3, 2011
Wonderful color and composition in an otherwise boring, rambling story.
½ May 12, 2011
Jane Campion's first feature film has an unmistakable visual grace and idiosyncrasy that perfectly complements her lonely, frustrated, damaged characters; this is the beginning of a great filmmaker.
March 28, 2011
flixsterman
½ January 29, 2011
Jane Campion's style is never going to woo the masses with broad appeal, but that's part of what makes her such a dynamic film maker. Sweetie is an odd bit of cinema that is both sentimental and detached. A quirky and imaginative motion picture.
½ October 12, 2010
It was a decent movie but I didn't like it that much compared to a lot of similar movies I've seen. I think this one hits a tiny bit too close to home with the hatred. The cinematic details are amazing.