Ten Canoes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ten Canoes Reviews

November 13, 2016
With a documentary look and a film sat in Australia's northern territories we are up for something different. A small tribe of Aboriginies are prepairing their canoes for some duck hunting. At the same time there are some dating discussions and other family issues to take care of. Some guys with a bigger rep in the tribe also has their problems. Honey problems among others. When another tribe gets into the film, things turn more dramatic and violent and we are in the mix of the two stories. Everything is told by David Gulpilil, an actor that did so well in "Charlie's Country" a few years ago.

Lovely shot film with an original storytelling. At the same time this film is very slow and striaght up boring stuff for most of it's playtime. As more things happen after a while, I'm already so bored that I really don't care much. It keeps fading from black to colors and back, it's nice but I tire of it too as it's repeated so many times.

Original, different, flat and boring.

4 out of 10 canoes.
½ August 10, 2016
Ten Canoes brings Aborigine folklore to life in a way that is engaging and entertaining. It also does a great job bringing to life precolonial Australian history.
½ June 19, 2015
Alas a look at life through the eyes of someone from a different culture. Many of the ethnographic films used are often presented in the format of "look at the friendly natives." There are exceptions, to be sure but over the years in the face of the absence of good ethnographic films, I've come to rely on good commercial films with a solid ethnographic content. Now, being a film buff as well as a social scientist, I've seen a lot of films. And, to be sure, there are some stinkers, e.g., overly romanticized or historically distorted portrayals of people in some cases, and sacrificed ethnographic facts in the spirit of "making a good story," in others. But, every once in a while a real gem comes along. Ten Canoes is such a film. The presentation and setting is authentic and the actors are all aboriginal Australians. The greatly talented David Gulpilil is joined by his son, Jamie and a crew of very talented and energetic Native Australians. The tale, based on Australian cultural lore is simple yet profound in the telling. The acting is subtle and devoid of Western theatrics. As a commercial film with a solid depiction of something from the multiplex cultures of Native Australian Aborigines, it is delightful to watch and fascinating to observe these people in the act of being themselves.
August 6, 2014
A really well made, shot and edited story/film. The use of black & white vs colour to differentiate between eras is great and it's nice to see authentic Aboriginal language being used - obviously aided greatly by David Gulpilil's great narration. The cinematography of Arnhem Land is amazing, but at it's core, it's a nice story about patience and being careful what you wish for! A very engaging and enjoyable piece of Australian cinema.
½ May 30, 2014
Ten Canoes is a beautifully shot Australian film although it does drag on for a bit
January 2, 2014
(Hugo Weaving's favorite Australian film.)
January 2, 2014
Set in the Northern Territories, the story is about someone telling a story about a time when he told a story to teach a lesson -- an interesting approach to capture oral literacy and an underrepresented culture,without being a documentary.
October 1, 2013
A wonderfully gripping Aboriginal tale. This film is an Australian masterpiece. These actors are Australia's best but least known showing that being a star means nothing. Worldwide nobody tells a story like the Aboriginals. This is a must-see, you won't regret it
November 21, 2012
Best Australian film I have ever seen.
½ October 21, 2012
Don't know how I missed this one. Beautiful dream like cinematography and quite funny in parts. Some may find it too slow though
August 5, 2012
Rolf de Heer beautifully captures Aboriginal customs and traditional lifestyle stunningly framed within the Australian landscape. De Heer's sensitivity is continuously apparent. David Gulpilil narrates the story with subtle humour. Well worth watching!
May 11, 2012
It''s just like a bedtime story a father would tell to his children. Good Narrating!
½ May 2, 2012
Superb Australian film by the director of the stupendous 'Bad Boy Bubby'. This is a million miles away from that but just as good - the narrative devices reminded me of 'Rashomon' at times but this is a truly unique film experience. Highly recommended for movie lovers and students of archetypal storytelling.
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting
½ April 7, 2012
In my all time top ten...spearing a man whilst taking a shit, genius!
½ February 14, 2012
Great picture. Multi-layered visual and aural gem.
February 7, 2012
Anything featuring David Gulpill is bound to be good, and this is fabulous showing the true life and humour of Australia's indigenous. In the words of David himself: "This is a good story, 'ey".
January 1, 2012
It sounded really interesting so I had to watch it..

it fell short on my expectations.. kind of boring.
December 15, 2011
This is honestly one of the greatest films I have seen in a long time.
October 21, 2011