Ten Canoes Reviews

• Nov 13, 2016

With a documentary look and a film sat in Australia's northern territories we are up for something different. A small tribe of Aboriginies are prepairing their canoes for some duck hunting. At the same time there are some dating discussions and other family issues to take care of. Some guys with a bigger rep in the tribe also has their problems. Honey problems among others. When another tribe gets into the film, things turn more dramatic and violent and we are in the mix of the two stories. Everything is told by David Gulpilil, an actor that did so well in "Charlie's Country" a few years ago. Lovely shot film with an original storytelling. At the same time this film is very slow and striaght up boring stuff for most of it's playtime. As more things happen after a while, I'm already so bored that I really don't care much. It keeps fading from black to colors and back, it's nice but I tire of it too as it's repeated so many times. Original, different, flat and boring. 4 out of 10 canoes.

• Aug 10, 2016

Ten Canoes brings Aborigine folklore to life in a way that is engaging and entertaining. It also does a great job bringing to life precolonial Australian history.

• Aug 06, 2014

A really well made, shot and edited story/film. The use of black & white vs colour to differentiate between eras is great and it's nice to see authentic Aboriginal language being used - obviously aided greatly by David Gulpilil's great narration. The cinematography of Arnhem Land is amazing, but at it's core, it's a nice story about patience and being careful what you wish for! A very engaging and enjoyable piece of Australian cinema.

• May 30, 2014

Ten Canoes is a beautifully shot Australian film although it does drag on for a bit

• Jan 02, 2014

Set in the Northern Territories, the story is about someone telling a story about a time when he told a story to teach a lesson -- an interesting approach to capture oral literacy and an underrepresented culture,without being a documentary.

• Sep 02, 2013

A wonderfully gripping Aboriginal tale. This film is an Australian masterpiece. These actors are Australia's best but least known showing that being a star means nothing. Worldwide nobody tells a story like the Aboriginals. This is a must-see, you won't regret it

• Nov 21, 2012

Best Australian film I have ever seen.

Best Australian film I have ever seen.

• Oct 21, 2012

Don't know how I missed this one. Beautiful dream like cinematography and quite funny in parts. Some may find it too slow though

• Aug 05, 2012

Rolf de Heer beautifully captures Aboriginal customs and traditional lifestyle stunningly framed within the Australian landscape. De Heer's sensitivity is continuously apparent. David Gulpilil narrates the story with subtle humour. Well worth watching!

• May 02, 2012

Superb Australian film by the director of the stupendous 'Bad Boy Bubby'. This is a million miles away from that but just as good - the narrative devices reminded me of 'Rashomon' at times but this is a truly unique film experience. Highly recommended for movie lovers and students of archetypal storytelling.