Thank God It's Friday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

June 6, 2015
Probably the cheesiest film I've ever seen...no script to speak of but I have to say a wonderful snapshot musically of the Disco era with great songs and performers. Casablanca and Motown were obviously trying to hitch a ride on the success of Saturday Night Fever and well..hey...it made a profit at the Box Office.
May 14, 2015
i have such fond memories of going with a group of friends seeing this in the theater now some may call this a 'saturday night fever' knock off but i disagree the music is the same but otherwise they r both different.
April 22, 2015
I saw this flick when I was just a kid,,,and I just loved it and I still do......its silly, dum, but it was just a fun movie, noit an academy award film. and the music....well I think still sounds great 35 years later....its just a movie that brings sweet memories of the innocent (at least for us kids) 70's
½ December 31, 2013
this scattershot piece of disco shenanigans is very boring. it tries to be something like a robert altman movie with it's big cast of characters and their separate storylines. as a piece of history in terms of the disco era it works, but as a piece of entertainment it suffers largely because of it's dull approach and very uninteresting characters. early appearances from debra winger and jeff goldblum.
August 27, 2013
One of my favorite movies of its kind . Love donna summer !!
October 28, 2012
Best disco movie ever made, a rare gem, its got so much going on. Has one of the funniest best dance scenes on a bunch of cars I have ever seen. Great cast of characters, and sum big names, not just in music but in the acting world. Look for a young Debra Winger, and Jeff Goldblum, Donna Summer, the commodores. This movie just a lot of fun to watch you can watch it over and over. Sum people just don't like simple fun movies, and need complex bullshit too feel good with way too much drama sum times. Its nice to have just a cool fun movie, set to disco music that doesn't suck balls or is so badly done its pure cheese.
May 19, 2012
Indicative of an era where classic movies weren't made by the dozen. I think it's still an awesome movie that gave a cheesey look at Disco & gave us Donna Summer RIP, just sayin'
May 17, 2012
Ok so some people don't get it. 1978 disco was fun and most people weren't really cognizant when they were in them at the time. Awesome music ... And young actors who were about to break. And nothing serious.... If you went to a disco you probably knew a "leatherman" or some other freak! Sometimes a movie is just supposed to be entertaining... Love it!
½ November 19, 2011
This film was hugely disappointing, with only a few redeeming features (which I'll mention last). I usually enjoy silly disco-era films, and was hoping this would at least be amusing in a Can't Stop The Music way, but this was hopeless. At least Can't Stop The Music let you enjoy the music. In TGIF, snippets of dozens of disco tracks are heard in the background while various characters chatter away in one unfunny scene after another, like a particularly lame and crowded episode of The Love Boat. Though this is set in a disco, the film seems uninterested in any of the dancing, even during the dancing competition finale everyone's been talking about during the rest of the film. The one exception would be the awkward and not very disco dancing-on-the-tops-of-cars scene. It's hard to think of many ways the production or direction of this film could have been worse.

HOWEVER, this has some nostalgia value for being set almost entirely in a 70's disco. AND, when Donna Summer sings Last Dance the film finally has a few minutes of glitzy fun. For the one and only time, the music gets all the attention. It's a great song, and Donna looks and sounds like what you'd expect from a disco diva - love the big hair.
July 14, 2011
The Goddess of Disco, Donna Summer, I Love Disco & this Movie, so sue me
½ July 6, 2011
Mindless sitcomy muliti-character movie about the night in the life of the hottest disco in LA. Features then unknown actors Jeff Goldblum, Debra Winger and in her acting debut Donna Summer as, what else, a disco singer. Nice time capsule piece - love when the uptight husband complains about the $5 cover charge and the overpriced $2.50 drinks. Probably more fun if you remember that era.
June 27, 2011
Ótimo filme, recomendo!
June 16, 2011
So bad it's actually fun to watch. Definitely better than Spiceworld!
½ May 27, 2011
Great soundtrack, terrible script. Thank God It's Friday is too dumb and not so funny, the movie try imitate anothers comedy of 70's, what don't works, just worse. Rotten.
May 21, 2011
"Say, brother, you got the wrong idea. I'm workin' for the Commodores.... Yeah, brother, and I'm Baretta."

Hopelessly dated & unfunny. They didnt even dance much. I saw this once on a Saturday as a kid & thought it was soo funny. After viewing it again, just what was I thinking? Its just awful & I dont remember Jeff Goldblum or Debra Winger as main characters. The highlight is of course, Donna Summer singing Last Dance, but you'd be better off just listening to that on a... cassette??? lolz. See CAR WASH instead. At Hulu.
May 14, 2011
Awesome and much too short!
½ January 5, 2011
I know, generally people think that all the disco movies are trying to be like Saturday Night Fever, but this one isn't, it's just a comedy that takes place one night at a disco. This movie has a lot of really funny jokes, I especially liked the one involving Goldblum. Plus, we get a fantastic performance from Donna Summer. I really like this movie, it's fun.
November 7, 2010
Don't waste your time, this movie is sooooooo stupid and boring
October 10, 2010
I know alot of critics and movie buffs hate this movie but this is one of those guilty pleasures for me. Disco was popular in the late 70's and Saturday Night Fever started the short movie trend but I really liked the characters in this film even though it wasn't the most well thought out comedy screenplay. What was unintentionally brilliant about this film was that all the characters who came together that night at the Zoo disco were larger than life stereotypes that represented the free spirited late 70's well. You had the playboy club owner, the conservative older couple, the two underage high school girls, the Hispanic disco king, the cool disc jockey, the mismatched computer daters, the wannabe singer, the drugged out ex-hippy scatterbrain, the boy next door and girl next door who of course don't find each other until the end and they are all surrounded by polyester wearing boors and spandex wearing airheads, set to the music of Donna Summer & the Commodores. The movie had many funny moments but the best was when the conservative husband Dave,who didn't even want to be there hooked up with the ex-hippy scatterbrain and after feeding him numerous drugs consisting of uppers and downers decides to rename him "Babakazoo".
½ May 9, 2010
I don't why, but when I was young, I wanted to see this. I finally saw this, and man, it was not worth the wait. A wanna-be "Saturday Night Fever" with a crappy soundtrack and it was supposed to be a comedy, but I did not find it funny at all.