The Boss Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Boss Baby Reviews

March 20, 2018
'The Boss Baby' has the wit to keep children and parents entertained despite its flat narrative and run-of-the-mill animation and between the laughs you'll wonder how this ever won an Oscar.
March 18, 2018
You know what. I hate to see all this critics to post stuff like they are the main public for this kind of movie, but for a mom of two 4 year olds. And a 6 month baby. I think my kids feel very identify with this movie. It has a message. And is the only movie that doesnt drive me nuts my kids watch it all the time. I enjoy it. It brings real emotion. In my opinion i like it my kids like it so is agood movie. I think even better than frozen
½ March 15, 2018
A fun, funny family movie. The visuals were fun as well.
½ March 15, 2018
There is absolutely no excuse for this crappy animation to have been nominated for the Academy Awards (or anything other than the Razzies, which is what it deserved), since everything we see here is poorly thought out, the gags are pedestrian and terribly unfunny, and the plot just lame.
March 14, 2018
Very funny but was a strange movie.
March 13, 2018
the juxtaposition between imagination and reality is brilliant, and the story strikes a great balance between HILARITY AND HEARTWARMING. On the flip side, some elements are overly repeated (I'll puke if they Play blackbird one more time!), the chase & fight scenes are annoying, the storY gets a bit complicated for a PG film (not to mention the plot-holes this creates), and there's so much room to edit this down by a good 15 minutes.
March 7, 2018
After finally seeing this film, i don't get why everyone poo-poo'd this movie so much. I thought it was funny and clever barring a few corny moments. and the moral resolution of the story really touched the heartstrings. you could do much worse.
½ March 7, 2018
My 2 year old watches this movie at least once a day and my 7 year old can relate to this as they funnily enough look like the characters to (one skinny brown, the other chunky blonde lol) the whole movie is the imagination of tim so covers all the plot holes mentioned. this is explained at the end when tim says that is how he REMEMBERED it. this is a well balanced film and look at it through a child's eyes is so enjoyable for them, worth a watch for all the family
March 5, 2018
WHY DOES THIS EVEN EXIST!? The premise is stupid, the animation is awful, its just HORRIBLE!! I would rather watch the emoji movie a dozen times in a row! And this is somehow getting a sequel! WHAT!? THE!?F*CK!?
March 4, 2018
Could only stand watching a half hour of this "movie". Just. Ugh...
March 3, 2018
While it certainly boasts some inventive animation and more heart and brains then I expected from a movie called "The Boss Baby," the film still had way too much toilet/diaper humor and sporadic, overly-hyperactive, overly-long action-y moments, mixed in with a thin premise that's stretched out a bit farther than it probably should have been. Definitely feels like a Dreamworks movie from it's earlier-post Shrek days and less like a "How to train Your Dragon" kind of film.
½ March 3, 2018
Im surprised reading through many of these reviews that i havent seen anyone point out that the boy is actually dreaming all of it. I thought that it touched on many points about fears of
adding to the family for kids. My kids love this movie.
March 2, 2018
Pretty good for a cartoon.
March 2, 2018
I was really looking forward to the Boss Baby, but I was so unsatisfied. The Boss Baby may entertain kids with is goofy humor, but on account of its dull and unoriginal story, mixed with bland and forgettable characters. The animation and voice cast is good, and the humor is sometimes funny, but this movie is a forgettable movie and easily one of the weakest DreamWorks movie ever.
½ March 1, 2018
I fell asleep, but my wife told me she liked it. The stuff I saw wasn't great, but kids will like it, and Alec Baldwin is funny. So, yeah.
½ February 26, 2018
Shockingly fun and enjoyable and many not for kids jokes
½ February 26, 2018
I don't understand the negative reception that Boss Baby has received. I thought it was actually quite good. I am not a fan of the childish potty humor, which this movie does contain some. However, there is also a lot of clever, witty humor here as well. I had a lot of fun watching this film and thought it was quite creative for the most part
February 25, 2018
Though it is cute, colorful and funny, it's also slightly creepy and frustratingly content to stay in its imaginary world.
½ February 17, 2018
It tried to be sentimental, but Boss Baby was just too stupid for me. (First and only viewing - 1/6/2018)
½ February 17, 2018
I remember having a conversation with my friend, during my exodus, where I lamented the fact that, at that time, I hadn't been able to watch any movies for months. I mentioned to her that one of the last movies I watched was Big Momma's House 2. I didn't really actually watch it, I was just using the laptop and it was playing on tv, so I left it on as background noise. I said that I was saddened that this was one of the last movies I watched, but also mentioned that I would watch it for a week straight if it meant I'd have electricity back. I also mentioned to her that when I had Netflix back, I'd watch the stupidest thing I could think of. This movie and the last Smurfs CG movie came up. This is what brings us together this evening. Which is not to say that I think this is a stupid movie, but it's something silly and for kids. I think that's what I meant by stupid more than anything else. Having said all of that, I don't know what you want me to say about this movie. I mean I know what I want to say. What I mean is that this just isn't what I would call a good movie. I suppose my run of good-to-great movies ever since I came back had to end eventually. It's not bad, but it's a painfully average little movie. DreamWorks Animation will never be Pixar, at least A-team Pixar, that much is obvious. But they've been struggling to produce high quality movies ever since the release of How To Train Your Dragon 2 in 2014. I haven't seen Captain Underpants, but I hear it's pretty good. But, from my perspective, the only good movie since then for DreamWorks has been King Fu Panda 3. And it's not like that was an incredible movie to begin with. This doesn't change that run of substandard movies. You know things are bad for you, creatively speaking, when ILLUMINATION ENTERTAINMENT (the assholes responsible for Despicable Me and the awful minions) have made a better movie than you have in almost four years with Sing. That's scraping the bottom of the barrel. Perhaps it sounds as if I'm being too harsh on this movie. I don't actually mean to be, because this was just a middle of the road movie. I think there's a decent enough story here with Tim feeling that he's been replaced in his parents' hearts by the new baby, who works for this Baby Corp, a company that is hell-bent on making sure that puppies don't replace babies as the most loved thing in the world. Yes, really. That's the plot. The brothers, at first, have difficulties in getting along. After one incident where Tim is careless with his baby brother, he is grounded. Before we move on, I feel that I need to point out that when I say there's a decent idea here that I mean exploring the dynamic between the brothers and how, in some cases, siblings, in some cases, due tend to feel like they're being ignored and/or replaced by the new baby. The whole thing about Baby Corp trying to ward off irrelevance from Puppy Co is as silly as these movies get, to put it nicely. Anyway, after Tim is grounded, he and Boss Baby come up with a plan to find out what find out what Puppy Co is planning so Boss Baby can go back to Baby Corp and Tim can have his parents all to himself again. Of course things don't go as planned as the brothers start to bond and enjoy each other's presence. You've seen this before, you'll see it again. The idea that this baby isn't really a baby, but someone who displays intelligence and speaks fluently has already been done countless times. More famously by Family Guy. Given that this a kids' movie, you obviously have to expect things to be more toned down. But they don't really do much here, they just expect the idea that it's a talking, walking baby will provide laughs in and of itself. There's a few chuckles here and there, the most memorable concerning the Elvis impersonators. Well it's not the whole scene, more like the interaction between one of the impersonators and the boys, who are dressed up like one to board a plane headed to Vegas. The most entertaining character in the entire movie, in my opinion, has to be Tim's aggressive Wizard alarm clock. I was gonna say Wizzie (as Tim calls him) was passive-aggressive, but Wizzie didn't bother with that. He's a character that I need more of, because he was the only consistently entertaining thing in the entire movie. Anyway, the movie hits all of the story beats you would expect. Tim and Boss get closer and they start to rethink their arrangement. Tim learns that it is possible to share their parents' love equally and Boss learns what it's like to have a family that cares for him. Simple and basic. There's nothing special about it, but it is what it is. I think the main problem that I have with this is the fact that it's just not that funny. This was never meant to be a deep and complex character study on the nature of brotherhood. This was just meant to give you a couple of laughs and a couple of laughs they do NOT provide. Again, they rely way too much on the concept of the baby being voiced by Alec Baldwin. That's it. No real effort was put into the comedy, even though there's flashes of a better movie that was shifted and changed into something else by the time it was finally produced. I will say that the ending, while a little sentimental, was sweet. The animation is nothing home to write about, it's colorful enough, but it lacks an identity all its own. This looks like every DreamWorks B-movie available. There's nothing about the animation that stands out at you, like all the little details you'd pick up on an A-team Pixar movie. Hell, even A-team DreamWorks Animation has these small details that they don't bother to put into films that they're not fully behind. Voice acting is fine, another part of this that offers nothing home to write about. Alec Baldwin is, essentially, playing himself and, no shit, he's good at that. No one else really stands out enough to single out. Other than James McGrath, who voiced Wizzie. There's really not much else I can say about this movie. If you're in the mood for something harmless and inoffensive, then this is the movie for you. But it doesn't provide the consistent laughs to be a truly good or memorable movie.