The Grand Duel (Il Grande duello) Reviews

• Apr 10, 2018

Average Violence, in story similar to The Good The Bad and the Ugly

Average Violence, in story similar to The Good The Bad and the Ugly

• Aug 15, 2017

Entertaining spaghetti Western, with an unexpected ending. Van Cleef is awesome as always. Amazing score.

• Mar 16, 2017

I was finally able to give this Lee Van Cleef flick a spin and I dug it pretty well, as he navigates a dangerous situation trying to keep a young man alive who has been framed for murder, all the while gearing up for his own titular duel. Worth an afternoon for your entertainment. Rental!

• Nov 03, 2016

Spaghetti western fans will enjoy it, Tarantino certainly did, but a notch below the greater ones.

• Oct 12, 2016

Incase you didn't know, Lee Van Cleef was a badass.

Incase you didn't know, Lee Van Cleef was a badass.

• Aug 27, 2016

Not bad at all. Sort of a mixture between "The Big Gundown" with Van Cleef seeking out a wanted criminal, and "For a Few Dollars More" with the dreamy flashbacks. The action is coherent and abundant, with Lee Van Cleef doing quite a bit in this movie. It's very Leone-esque with lots of close-ups and tight editing. The story is engaging, but is told "in medias res," in that the movie seems to start midway through the story. I found the dialogue revealing plot points to be a little confusing, and I had to look up what was going on a few times. Luckily the plot does come together at the end, although predictably. Overall it's a decent movie, although I'd put quite a few Spaghetti Westerns ahead of it. Not bad for $4 for the blu-ray or free on Amazon Prime.

• Aug 12, 2016

Spaghetti western; nothing extraordinary about it.

Spaghetti western; nothing extraordinary about it.

• Jan 07, 2016

Spaghetti Western with extra meatballs.

Spaghetti Western with extra meatballs.

• Oct 11, 2015

Grand Duel has all the ingredients of a great Spaghetti Western but falls short as they are not mixed together as well as they should have been. Luis Bacolov provides a great score that one would expect in a Spaghetti Western, but its main theme seems to be overused at times. The film also would have benefited from more earlier encounters with its main adversaries, which makes the second half much more interesting. In the end it is a decent spaghetti.