The Great Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Beauty Reviews

June 23, 2018
Utterly sublime. Why cinemas were built.
½ March 30, 2018
This film features several amusing scenes of audiences being baffled by and politely applauding performances that are pretentious and empty. Unfortunately those scenes are only a minute or two long each, whereas this film is almost two and a half hours long. It's beautifully filmed, and with lots of lovely scenery and architecture, and some of the music is gorgeous. But I was bored and confused in equal measure, and this film almost entirely fails to tell a story.
½ January 26, 2018
This is a magnificient film! It gets right to the heart of the matter, and keeps you there for the entire film. Superb!
January 6, 2018
For our cinema (italian cinema) doesn't get any greater then this.
Una bellezza Felliniana, quella di Sorrentino. Forse troppo, ma cosa c' di nuovo al giorno d'oggi? E che dire di Servillo... l'attore feticcio del regista ancora una volta sfodera la sua bravura per guidarci in questo viaggio surrealista (ma softunamente non troppo) e far arrivare questo pezzo di pellicola nell'olimpo del cinema italiano. Questa volta si che io mi sento italiano!
June 30, 2017
Honestly a bit too heavy handed for me. Speaking of Fellini, he had a better grasp on when to reveal and when to hide... Sorrentino gets too caught up in the glitz and glam and plays his hand too early in a two and a half hour film. That's not to say it isn't enjoyable - it certainly has some moments of beauty, and the plot is a welcome departure from the norm.

I know it's two different beasts but I feel like this was really a warm up for The Young Pope - which touches on some similar themes and does the 'strange metaphorical moments' even better.
June 13, 2017
Absolutely exquisite, more like a work of art than a movie, every single frame is captured to perfection and it's fun. What flamboyant stylish characters, there's no real plot but you know what - that doesn't matter.
½ May 2, 2017
For me, my appreciation of La Grande Bellezza was a slow burn. Lacking familiarity with Fellini's work, which serves as director Paolo Sorrentino's inspiration, I could not appreciate the homage therein. However, the visual grandeur and kinetic cinematography is unmistakable and makes sure the film's style matches its substance.

Toni Servillo continues his loyal collaboration with the director, and his performance is captivating from first shot to last. His deliberate delivery makes sure the heft of his thoughts is captured, even across language barriers. Not one performance disappoints, as the viewer is immersed in the torpidity and quiescence of life for these hedonistic fat cats. Yes this is Rome, home to la vita assurda.
½ March 4, 2017
B thought this film was amazing
February 10, 2017
Let's see if this can be the first review of The Great Beauty to do without mentioning Fellini's 8 1/2. Darn... A fascination with the distractions we fill our heads with to avoid our own mortality is what inspired Paolo Sorrentino's picturesque, existential tour of the most romantic city in the world. Our guide is Jep Gambardella, a journalist-cum-socialite who, shortly after his 65th birthday, realizes relentless pursuit with the high-life has amounted to nothing worthwhile. As we follow Jep on his journey of self-discovery as he desperately seeks a meaning for his existence, Sorrentino's disorientingly fluid camera motions and weapons-grade beautiful photography have a lucid, dreamlike effect that seems to possess the whole film. This augments the superficial appeal of the lifestyle Jep spent so many years pursuing, and during the many illusory rooftop party sequences, you feel as lost as Jep does. Physically there, but in another dimension mentally. Truthfully, The Great Beauty doesn't have any strong narrative backbone. It is rather a series of generally deadpan vignettes. But you'll be so ensconced by the hypnotic, preternatural, startlingly, agonizingly beautiful imagery you're being subjected to that you won't care a damn. Rome has never look so lavish and yet so utterly hollow.
½ January 18, 2017
In fondo, solo un trucco. S, solo un trucco
January 14, 2017
This movie is overwhelming that it made me cry after it was finished.

All the things we say or do to shut the voices in our heads, thinking: we're doing great, we're getting somewhere, we're earning "something", we're in love, we're being loved, we're successful, we're popular, we have friends, we're not alone.... All this is but Blah blah blah!

No one cares about who you really are or how you really feel; not even you!

After all, it's just a trick... to make it all go away...
½ January 6, 2017
Finally got around to watching this and, yes, it's brilliant. Fellini-esque (which is the highest praise indeed)
November 16, 2016
mancasem pufuleti la praga cand l-am vazut. mi s-a parut o prostie care m-a socat. nu imi amintesc decat ca eram revoltat de scene. am vazut primele cateva zeci de minute. ii dau nota asta pentru ca e memorabila emotia in legatura cu filmul
September 20, 2016
A visual meditation of art, life, beauty and their corrupted forms in the high society of Rome. Against the decaying and ruined, there are moments of glorious beauty breaking through to the profaned decadency.
September 6, 2016
Dazzling film making yes, but the story is rather thin. We follow a 65 years old and his musings for over two hours. Plenty of extraordinary events still leaves the story minimal. Too idle rich for me. Also seems very old age oriented.
September 6, 2016
July 29, 2016
Incredibly romantic, though not because of the activities the hero partakes in, which seems to be endless and boring-looking parties. It's just the hero is 65 years old and wears a corset yet lives life like a 25-year-old as do all his similarly aged friends. Which is refreshing and glorious--a real departure from American movies where the lives of heroes never seem to venture beyond 50 and when they do, it's always seem preoccupied with dying.
July 14, 2016
A visual tour de force film that recently won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. The story of Jep Gambellrado a one hit wonder author that's been riding the wave of success for as long as he can.

Filled with unforgettable cinematography & some of the most gorgeous & lush photography of the city of Rome itself.

Jep's honesty & reflective look at his self & his current state of emptiness is intriguing. The people that populate his journey are fascinating, and you really see how empty a life of chasing status can be.
July 11, 2016
White people problems. Yawn.
This movie reminds me of Bono. It thinks it's more poignant than it actually is.
½ June 30, 2016
Although visually dazzling, The Great Beauty is a presumptuos and shallow film whose subject is not clear.