The Great Beauty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Great Beauty Reviews

January 14, 2017
This movie is overwhelming that it made me cry after it was finished.

All the things we say or do to shut the voices in our heads, thinking: we're doing great, we're getting somewhere, we're earning "something", we're in love, we're being loved, we're successful, we're popular, we have friends, we're not alone.... All this is but Blah blah blah!

No one cares about who you really are or how you really feel; not even you!

After all, it's just a trick... to make it all go away...
½ January 6, 2017
Finally got around to watching this and, yes, it's brilliant. Fellini-esque (which is the highest praise indeed)
November 16, 2016
mancasem pufuleti la praga cand l-am vazut. mi s-a parut o prostie care m-a socat. nu imi amintesc decat ca eram revoltat de scene. am vazut primele cateva zeci de minute. ii dau nota asta pentru ca e memorabila emotia in legatura cu filmul
September 20, 2016
A visual meditation of art, life, beauty and their corrupted forms in the high society of Rome. Against the decaying and ruined, there are moments of glorious beauty breaking through to the profaned decadency.
September 6, 2016
Dazzling film making yes, but the story is rather thin. We follow a 65 years old and his musings for over two hours. Plenty of extraordinary events still leaves the story minimal. Too idle rich for me. Also seems very old age oriented.
July 29, 2016
Incredibly romantic, though not because of the activities the hero partakes in, which seems to be endless and boring-looking parties. It's just the hero is 65 years old and wears a corset yet lives life like a 25-year-old as do all his similarly aged friends. Which is refreshing and glorious--a real departure from American movies where the lives of heroes never seem to venture beyond 50 and when they do, it's always seem preoccupied with dying.
July 14, 2016
A visual tour de force film that recently won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Film. The story of Jep Gambellrado a one hit wonder author that's been riding the wave of success for as long as he can.

Filled with unforgettable cinematography & some of the most gorgeous & lush photography of the city of Rome itself.

Jep's honesty & reflective look at his self & his current state of emptiness is intriguing. The people that populate his journey are fascinating, and you really see how empty a life of chasing status can be.
July 11, 2016
White people problems. Yawn.
This movie reminds me of Bono. It thinks it's more poignant than it actually is.
½ June 30, 2016
Although visually dazzling, The Great Beauty is a presumptuos and shallow film whose subject is not clear.
½ June 19, 2016
Weird. Good camera work, noticeably. I'm a sucker for that, because I like visuals, but story wise, eh, not the greatest perhaps.
½ May 17, 2016
Beautiful, sometimes bordering on the sublime -- captivating, playful yet serious, languid, bittersweet, funny, and sensusl. The parallels with Fellini are there but in a good way. It is so very Italian and couls not have taken place anywhere else -- there is something terribly timeless and nostalgic about these people wandering through a dark-lit palazzo, admiring classical sculptures, after they left a postpostdern party. I regret not having seen it on the big screen.
May 1, 2016
The first 20 min. is a conga line dance and you wonder if there is any plot. The plot is about the reminiscences of a 65 year old journalist who wrote a so so intellectual book 30 years ago, and then became an interesting person to have at parties, and funerals. The acting is good, but the plot is thinly attached to this Ode to Fellini.
March 25, 2016
Una obra de arte, un clásico contemporáneo. Palabras limitan esta genialidad.
½ March 21, 2016
Ja, hallo zeg, wat is dat? Mooie beelden, mooie personages, mooie vrouwen, maar het gaat werkelijk over niets...
February 27, 2016
Stupendous channeling of Federico Fellini for millenials this is full of unforgettable moments. Welcome to bourgeois Rome on a first class ticket but good luck trying to beat Bigazzi's cinematography and Sorrentino's imagination. A true Italian masterpiece that even the whiteys at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences couldn't resist! Watch before you die!
½ February 22, 2016
Delicious to watch, although short on narrative and continuity. Lots of fun here, and some great photography. It's all very decadent, and evokes Fellini here and there. Includes the vanishing giraffe and flamingoes over the Coliseum. The jaded roué contemplates Beauty, and effortlessly creates his second novel, - as a movie.
February 15, 2016
Final movie on my long queue of Italian films. I saved one of the best for last
February 13, 2016
A lot more than a combination of beautiful scene and mid-age high-end Lan Kwai Fong.

But I still go for the Missing Picture.
February 7, 2016
Gorgeously shot, elegantly edited and wonderfully performed film about the intangible aspects of life...I think.