The Great Escape Reviews

• Mar 24, 2019

Today is the 75th anniversary of the great escape. I just watched the live show with Dan Snow and the film the great escape at Bexleyheath Cineworld. The great escape is a film based on true life events directed by John Sturges. Really good acting with all the cast from Steve McQueen to Donald Pleasence. Really good characters that even have nicknames. Very good cinematography with some iconic shots. Really good setting with the prisoner of war camp. Really good set design and props. Really good costume design with the Nazis to the Prisoners. Very good style from the colour design to the way its filmed. Very good practical effects. Very good and iconic action though theres not much. Good and steady sound design. Very good and quotable dialogue. Good and steady editing. Really good music one of the best soundtracks in my personal opinion. Great story that is pulled off extremely well by the cast, crew and director. Very good comedy more toward thebeginning. The film also has very good atmosphere especially at the end of the second act. The film can also be very emotional and could even make you cry a little. The film is also quiet tense mainly toward the end of the second act to the end of third and final act. Though the film is nearly three hours long it is still really enjoyable. The film also has one of my personal favourite endings of all time. Over all I give the great escape a 9/10 - so close

• Feb 03, 2019

The time where there were actors with acting skills.

The time where there were actors with acting skills.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best, GREATEST thrilling and inspiring movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: Steve McQueen as Capt. Hilts!

• Dec 03, 2018

Unfortunately The Great Escape hasn't dated well and must be one of the most overrated movies of all time. Almost disney-esque at times, although it is undoubtedly entertaining, it is completely silly. Attenborough saves the day by trying to introduce some gravitas but it is hard to keep the silliness at bay. The POW camp seems so lovely and friendly you have to ask why anyone would want to escape from there! The Nazis are like silent cardboard cutouts and Steve McQueen's smirk wears thin after a while. This was a great film to enjoy many years ago but it's lighthearted touch doesn't really work in 2018.

• Nov 17, 2018

clearly ahead of its time.. The Great Escape Sturges's nail biting escape from the war, is a symphony that soars among all the best outcome that the genre has given us. Sturges means business in here, from the first frame till the curtain drops. He doesn't have any time to go waste by, he cares for the quality offered to the viewers. And the standard is kept persistent. The story called for your usual supporting characters with allotted characteristics that keeps the viewers tangled onto them. But this is no fiction, each characters might be given a signature name, but they are more to what they seem and Sturges proves that in nearly three hours that feels like seconds passing by. The primary strength of the feature is how the makers fiddle with the geography, environment and the set pieces that every now and then elevates the momentum as the gripping screenplay enfolds onto the screen. The narration is gripping and adoptive with a fascinating structure that builds up the base with equal sincerity and mannerism. It relies a lot upon the physical sequences and yet it never grows dull for it is brimmed with tiny notions and tactics that are pure delights. McQueen stands out from the first act and still he remains of the similar palpable tone like the rest of his cast. Garner gets a much stronger parallel role but Bronson's few compelling sequences steals the show. The cunning ways to cheat their way out and the surveillance team still figuring out their tricks, these sew saw are the best bits of the feature and they are in plethora of it; it is thoroughly entertaining. Armed with such a sharp adaptation, Sturges's execution is plausible and is worth every drop of the sweat that went into it. The Great Escape confronts the reality with a language that was clearly ahead of its time.

• Sep 22, 2018

Classic or not, I cannot lie: I found it boring. I feel like the true story might have been interesting, and this looks like a parody of it. I hate remakes, but on this one, I think is due. Cute theme song though.

• Sep 21, 2018

This is not specific

This is not specific

• Sep 12, 2018

One of the best WW2 escape films along with Von Ryans Express. This classic action adventure film starring Steve McQueen is a must watch.

• Jul 07, 2018

The great escape is such an incredible movie. It is such a true true classic movie. Steve mcqueen and James garner were both great in it. I love both of those actors. This movie is definitely one of my top favorite movies of all time.

• Apr 06, 2018

If you have three hours and a fridge full of cold beers, what better than to wallow again in John Sturges' rip-roaring WW2 adventure. A wonderful British-American ensemble cast plot and plan a tunnel escape from a Gestapo prison camp. Everyone has their favourite moments and even if you don't you'll be whistling Elmer Bernstein's infectious theme for weeks.