The Host - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Host Reviews

April 8, 2017
Every once and awhile a film so bad that it makes you angry just to watch it. Made specifically for tween girls there's lot of mindless smoothing without rationale, after which our heroine slaps the guys for questioning her intent. Get that lobotomy before watching.
March 9, 2017
Flat, uninspiring. I'll go and read the book because the story line is good but it didn't translate well to a movie.
½ March 3, 2017
Ummmm... what? No. Just no.
½ February 13, 2017
Wow.
How could they have messed this up even more?
God, all the characters are stupid and boring. They have no motivation except for 'Melanie' (Which I will discuss in a bit).
The whole bit at the beginning with the narrator really annoyed me, especially about the whole 'perfect society' which is stereotypical and a overused cliche in science fiction film.
I should have probably suspected at the time of watching it that it was bad, I just can't believe that the director of Gattica made this!
Why on earth would you team up with stephanie meyer? She's one of the worst authors of all time!
The main character of Melanie and the alien are only there so that the 'love' story can continue forward with a tiny bit of conflict from a seeker. Melanie is in an abusive relationship and this is not the way that romances should be played out. Likewise, her boyfriend is only there as the cliched 'bad boy' and the other guy is the one on the side for the alien.
There is one point where 'melamine' in her head switches her accent midway through a scene.
Oh theres a famous line "kiss me like you wanna get slapped", I can't believe this was made for young girls :(
Worst directing, worst acting, worst music, worst cinematography, worst tone and pacing, worst script, oh and its riddled with cliches and plot holes.
February 8, 2017
No matter what other people say, I really liked this movie. I thought the plot was good and the actors were good as well. I'm interested in reading the book now. Plus the soundtrack was really good.
½ January 28, 2017
Even in my adolescence I would never have been a fan of the Twilight style of movies but I actually really like this movie for it's subtle beauty and what it has to say about humans. It's a wonderfully filmed sci-fi fantasy which relies more on complex emotions and relationships than CGI and earth-shattering explosions.
January 18, 2017
Film critics bore off Zzz. Sick of reading your negative and dreary reviews of good films time and time and time again on here? Films are for the public so the user score represents much more importance and value than yours. Take things far too seriously Zzzz. Enough said. Very different to anything I've seen before. Nice storyline with a nice ending. Good film. Will enjoy this unless your a critic in that case don't bother ha.
December 31, 2016
Books are always better, I get that but from a film stand point, I really loved how they did it. There is always going to be things that they leave out. The relationships are great, you can really feel the hatred wafting off Maggie. I loved the turmoil Wanderer was having with trying to cope with her feelings for Ian and the feelings of Jared.

I liked both endings, I just wished they had of kept to the book on the ending. I really was waiting for the other Host to pop his head out and say that they had a Host of their own too. I recommend this to my friends regardless of the 8% Rotten Tomato rating. You can't form your own opinions of others, you need to see it for yourself. Take the risk, what's the worst that can happen? You don't like it?
December 31, 2016
This movie is trying to say being different sometimes is unique
December 25, 2016
I liked this movie and really enjoyed the book. Did not watch the movie since the reviews were so bad, but I thought it was good.
December 23, 2016
Good concept. The aliens were beautiful. But plot pacing was off, and weak romances seemed overly dominate. Just didn't do it for me.
October 29, 2016
The book was better. The movie was still good.
½ October 16, 2016
Feels like it's missing something.
½ October 2, 2016
I read the book and it was really good and just as any reader, I knew the movie would not be exactly the same. Nonetheless, I do find they did a pretty decent job.

However, I understand why some people did not like the movie... I had a friend that did not read the book and they did not like the movie since they did not understand it. So, I am thinking that this movie can only be appreciated by the people who read the book. This is why I give it a 3.5 star, because they should have made it in order for all viewers to understand it. Some parts of the movie were a little iffy and some of the actors could have done better and I also understand that this genre of movie is not a popular one, but overall I really enjoyed it!

The concept is really interesting and very original (I have never heard of such aliens before). Plus, I read the book 5 years ago and I just watched the movie for the first time and I am so happy to recall such a good story!
September 25, 2016
It's so annoying and unfortunate that the movie wasn't longer, the depiction felt too rushed. Though the story-telling may not have been well thought out, it was however well executed if you consider the urgency of delivering a solid story in 2hrs whilst paying homage to the novel.
It wasn't a matter of who was cast, which is usually the case in most movies that don't get a good reception, the issue was that they lacked a lot of crucial and core elements from the novel which could have been solved if they simply made the movie into two parts (at least).
Overall, my underlying opinion is: If you haven't read the book you most likely won't be able to appreciate the movie because there isn't enough backing into the fundamental concept and not enough groundwork to understand the reasoning behind the characters' actions overtime, and the sequence of the plot.
August 28, 2016
I actually liked the movie. The critics overly shat upon this film. Of course it was not as good or detailed as the book but what movies ever are. People went in expecting another Twilight film not expecting to be required to think. Don't let the poor rating scare you away. It is worth a watch.
August 27, 2016
This film is by no means perfect, but I really liked it. The appeal comes from the unusual dynamic between a human who is rightfully pissed of at being possessed, and a possessor with a good heart. Throw on a love triangle Stephenie Meyer style, and you've got a pretty solid sci-fi flick exploring the classic "what does it mean to be human/have a soul?" in an innovative way. Granted, the script is pretty basic, and there is almost no action, but I was fascinated nonetheless with the character journeys and overall story line.
August 16, 2016
Another cheesy and awful movie based on a book by the author of Twilight.
Story was mildly interesting but it gets awful with the love triangle.
I like a lot of the actors but I do not know what they were thinking doing this movie.
August 7, 2016
Ahh, the typical Stephanie Meyer formula. As Confused Matthew puts a, "What a blood sucking, rancid, horrible waste of time, money, and attention!" Why was this even made!?
July 13, 2016
Ronan, you're so much better than this! I love you so much but you make a very wrong decision with this stupid movie. The book isn't even good but it actually readable. This movie is not!