The Host - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Host Reviews

December 31, 2016
Books are always better, I get that but from a film stand point, I really loved how they did it. There is always going to be things that they leave out. The relationships are great, you can really feel the hatred wafting off Maggie. I loved the turmoil Wanderer was having with trying to cope with her feelings for Ian and the feelings of Jared.

I liked both endings, I just wished they had of kept to the book on the ending. I really was waiting for the other Host to pop his head out and say that they had a Host of their own too. I recommend this to my friends regardless of the 8% Rotten Tomato rating. You can't form your own opinions of others, you need to see it for yourself. Take the risk, what's the worst that can happen? You don't like it?
December 31, 2016
This movie is trying to say being different sometimes is unique
December 25, 2016
I liked this movie and really enjoyed the book. Did not watch the movie since the reviews were so bad, but I thought it was good.
December 23, 2016
Good concept. The aliens were beautiful. But plot pacing was off, and weak romances seemed overly dominate. Just didn't do it for me.
October 29, 2016
The book was better. The movie was still good.
½ October 16, 2016
Feels like it's missing something.
½ October 2, 2016
I read the book and it was really good and just as any reader, I knew the movie would not be exactly the same. Nonetheless, I do find they did a pretty decent job.

However, I understand why some people did not like the movie... I had a friend that did not read the book and they did not like the movie since they did not understand it. So, I am thinking that this movie can only be appreciated by the people who read the book. This is why I give it a 3.5 star, because they should have made it in order for all viewers to understand it. Some parts of the movie were a little iffy and some of the actors could have done better and I also understand that this genre of movie is not a popular one, but overall I really enjoyed it!

The concept is really interesting and very original (I have never heard of such aliens before). Plus, I read the book 5 years ago and I just watched the movie for the first time and I am so happy to recall such a good story!
September 25, 2016
It's so annoying and unfortunate that the movie wasn't longer, the depiction felt too rushed. Though the story-telling may not have been well thought out, it was however well executed if you consider the urgency of delivering a solid story in 2hrs whilst paying homage to the novel.
It wasn't a matter of who was cast, which is usually the case in most movies that don't get a good reception, the issue was that they lacked a lot of crucial and core elements from the novel which could have been solved if they simply made the movie into two parts (at least).
Overall, my underlying opinion is: If you haven't read the book you most likely won't be able to appreciate the movie because there isn't enough backing into the fundamental concept and not enough groundwork to understand the reasoning behind the characters' actions overtime, and the sequence of the plot.
August 28, 2016
I actually liked the movie. The critics overly shat upon this film. Of course it was not as good or detailed as the book but what movies ever are. People went in expecting another Twilight film not expecting to be required to think. Don't let the poor rating scare you away. It is worth a watch.
August 27, 2016
This film is by no means perfect, but I really liked it. The appeal comes from the unusual dynamic between a human who is rightfully pissed of at being possessed, and a possessor with a good heart. Throw on a love triangle Stephenie Meyer style, and you've got a pretty solid sci-fi flick exploring the classic "what does it mean to be human/have a soul?" in an innovative way. Granted, the script is pretty basic, and there is almost no action, but I was fascinated nonetheless with the character journeys and overall story line.
August 16, 2016
Another cheesy and awful movie based on a book by the author of Twilight.
Story was mildly interesting but it gets awful with the love triangle.
I like a lot of the actors but I do not know what they were thinking doing this movie.
August 7, 2016
Ahh, the typical Stephanie Meyer formula. As Confused Matthew puts a, "What a blood sucking, rancid, horrible waste of time, money, and attention!" Why was this even made!?
July 13, 2016
Ronan, you're so much better than this! I love you so much but you make a very wrong decision with this stupid movie. The book isn't even good but it actually readable. This movie is not!
June 28, 2016
Awesome movie! Great for teens
June 25, 2016
I dont even remember it
½ June 20, 2016
I'm a tough critic, but this movie was way better than the 8% suggests. It wasn't blockbuster material, but it had nice visuals, nice actors, and a somewhat interesting premise. It was a nice experience, if you like a little sci-fi teen romance.
½ June 17, 2016
The Host, adaptation d'un livre de Stephenie Meyer, n'a pas grand-chose pour lui, tant le film est extrêmement compliqué, absurdement long et sans réel intérêt à cause d'enjeux dramatiques bien trop flous alors que le principe n'est pas forcément mauvais. C'est vraiment dommage car Andrew Niccol est tout de même très talentueux et parvient tout de même à délivrer quelques jolis plans et deux ou trois scènes réussies, tandis que les acteurs sont quasiment tous bons, Saoirse Ronan et Jake Abel en tête. Malheureusement pour le spectateur, la meilleure séquence du film est un cliffhanger pour une suite qui n'arrivera probablement jamais. The Host n'est pas une catastrophe, mais on n'en était pas loin.
June 8, 2016
That was a great movie, true to the book. I appreciated it.
C'était vraiment un bon film, qui est resté authentique au livre et j'ai bien apprécié.
May 14, 2016
It is obvious that Ronan is capable of making just about anything float....she met her match. This sci fi is convoluted and disconnected. I think she is about the finest actress in Hollywood, maybe now after "Brooklyn" she can be a little more selective.
May 1, 2016
Full of interesting ideas as you would expect from a film directed and written by Andrew Niccol. I was almost put off by all the negative critics but because I liked his other films I gave it a try and I'm glad I did.