The Host - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Host Reviews

½ September 29, 2017
The mediocrity of the book is successfully transferred to the screen in this story of a love quadrangle set during an alien invasion of Earth.

IMDB says this movie cost $40 million to make but I'm left wondering where did all the money go? Everything about The Host is so cheap. The acting (yes, even William Hurt) is cheap, the musical score is generic, and the sets look like they were borrowed from a syndicated TV show.
September 3, 2017
I gotta say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. Maybe you need to have read the book to like the movie, but like it I did. Maybe even loved it. I was super impressed by how they managed to put that internal conflict on screen and the souls themselves. Make your own judgment and give this movie a chance.
August 11, 2017
2017-08-11 way better than expected, even though there were some plot gaps
August 7, 2017
A total useless dance between alien rationality and a girl who tries to be hard, which brings you to boredom as soon as he meets the boy. Dialogues entirely casual written in desperate, typical Meyer. The more I appreciate Saoirse Ronan, the more I hate this movie
½ July 29, 2017
Well, my girlfriend asked me to go with and I obliged. It was pretty excruciating. To be fair, afterwards even SHE apologized for dragging me along. Unless you are a Fan, buyer best beware!
½ July 26, 2017
Instead of making the most of its interesting premise and a strong lead performance from Saoirse Ronan, The Host instead suffers from bad writing, bad directing, and the fact that it stretches a potentially 95 minute story into a 125 minute boring dud. Despite the previously mentioned performance from Saoirse Ronan and several unintentionally funny moments, the film takes itself way too seriously, which only succeeds in making it worse. What little action there is is mostly dull and unentertaining, and the dialogue is painfully unoriginal. It pains me to be writing such a bad review, because I went into this movie really wanting to like it, but there's not even enough good to count as a good excuse to watch it once. Alright, I will admit that the film's visual aesthetic is unexpectedly impressive, but even that's not enough to make up for how boring, lazy, long, and generally bad it is. For those looking for a better movie to watch and appreciate Saoirse Ronan's talent, see the movie How I Live Now from the same year. Whatever you do, don't watch this movie on date night. Your date will fall asleep.
½ July 7, 2017
Don't hate it, but find the romance to be bland.
½ July 4, 2017
Bit of an underrated movie, it's not your average big explosion alien invasion movie no, however it does introduce an alien invasion genre I haven't seen a whole lot of. The Twilight is definitely strongly noticeable, which is something that will attract and repel people.
June 24, 2017
Un postulat de départ intéressant, une réalisation pas inintéressante mais qui perd beaucoup en pratique. Un peu trop milieux, une fin décevante, il en reste que je conseille pour une soirée tranquille sans se prendre la tête, mais loin d'être en tête de liste!
June 6, 2017
Finally got round to seeing this and in 2 words Bloody Brilliant!!!! â~º
June 4, 2017
This movie was pretty good! I would definitely recommend reading the book first, I did and it made the movie so much more enjoyable. It can be hard to understand what is going on if you haven't read the book. I thought the acting was pretty good. It was a little slow in some parts but kept me interested. It also followed the story pretty closely, there was one or two added scenes and some scenes I wished they would have included but it was still a great movie. There were obviously some flaws, like any movie, but it was worth watching for me.
May 22, 2017
This is a must see! At first, with the description it doesn't seem very good. Trust me, this is a very good movie! I'm not into Syfy movies, but this isn't the typical "Syfy" movie!
Just watch and you'll see :-)
½ May 17, 2017
Even in my adolescence I would never have been a fan of the Twilight style of movies but I actually really like this movie for it's subtle beauty and what it has to say about humans. It's a wonderfully filmed sci-fi fantasy which relies more on complex emotions and relationships than CGI and earth-shattering explosions.
May 14, 2017
I simply loved it, that's the kind of romance I like to see, simple, not too cheese. It makes you see a wonderful side of human beings. I enjoyed Saoirse Ronan's performance, for me it felt so natural, deep, not passionate, sincere, not exaggerated. This move brought out feelings I didn't know I had. Definitely worthy to watch.
May 14, 2017
Loved this movie from the outset. By the looks of all the negative reviews, I must have been watching a different movie. I loved the inner struggle between host and occupier. Considering people have a natural inner struggle, this added a very interesting and intriguing third element, if you will. Of course it's a challenge to go that deep on film, but in print it would be a VERY interesting treaties.

But even without the third element, Malinda working with the Wanderer, or Wanda, and not being able to convey she is present was quite an intriguing angle, for the humans know that the alien is awake of the host's thoughts, so how could either Wanda or Melanie convey truth to the humans.

What was also great about this teen dystopia is that it does NOT have the usual obvious and drawn out backstory of Insurgent, The Giver, or Divergent. Once you've seen one dystopia backstory, you've seen them all.

Overall, I loved the movie from stem to stern. The story, acting, and cinematography was top notch. Call me crazy, call me nuts, call me what you will, but I not only enjoyed but loved this movie. Intellectually, emotionally, and visually enrapturing.
½ May 11, 2017
It was an okay movie, it was nothing like the book! There are so many important details missing it's like watching a completely different thing. I would recommend reading the book not watching the movie.
½ May 9, 2017
The most slow paced , boring alien movie I've ever seen.
½ May 8, 2017
Of someone offers you the choice of watching the host or beating yourself to death with a rusty spanner...pick the spanner it's quicker!

Stopped the movie a million times just to Google who the he'll all the different blondes were.

Silly person jumps out of the window in high heels and spends hours walking in the desert..in 4 inch high heels!!!!

No real villain like really, no threat except some woman who gets shot immediately!!!
April 8, 2017
Every once and awhile a film so bad that it makes you angry just to watch it. Made specifically for tween girls there's lot of mindless smoothing without rationale, after which our heroine slaps the guys for questioning her intent. Get that lobotomy before watching.