The Host - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Host Reviews

June 24, 2017
Un postulat de départ intéressant, une réalisation pas inintéressante mais qui perd beaucoup en pratique. Un peu trop milieux, une fin décevante, il en reste que je conseille pour une soirée tranquille sans se prendre la tête, mais loin d'être en tête de liste!
June 6, 2017
Finally got round to seeing this and in 2 words Bloody Brilliant!!!! â~º
June 4, 2017
This movie was pretty good! I would definitely recommend reading the book first, I did and it made the movie so much more enjoyable. It can be hard to understand what is going on if you haven't read the book. I thought the acting was pretty good. It was a little slow in some parts but kept me interested. It also followed the story pretty closely, there was one or two added scenes and some scenes I wished they would have included but it was still a great movie. There were obviously some flaws, like any movie, but it was worth watching for me.
May 22, 2017
This is a must see! At first, with the description it doesn't seem very good. Trust me, this is a very good movie! I'm not into Syfy movies, but this isn't the typical "Syfy" movie!
Just watch and you'll see :-)
½ May 17, 2017
Even in my adolescence I would never have been a fan of the Twilight style of movies but I actually really like this movie for it's subtle beauty and what it has to say about humans. It's a wonderfully filmed sci-fi fantasy which relies more on complex emotions and relationships than CGI and earth-shattering explosions.
May 14, 2017
I simply loved it, that's the kind of romance I like to see, simple, not too cheese. It makes you see a wonderful side of human beings. I enjoyed Saoirse Ronan's performance, for me it felt so natural, deep, not passionate, sincere, not exaggerated. This move brought out feelings I didn't know I had. Definitely worthy to watch.
May 14, 2017
Loved this movie from the outset. By the looks of all the negative reviews, I must have been watching a different movie. I loved the inner struggle between host and occupier. Considering people have a natural inner struggle, this added a very interesting and intriguing third element, if you will. Of course it's a challenge to go that deep on film, but in print it would be a VERY interesting treaties.

But even without the third element, Malinda working with the Wanderer, or Wanda, and not being able to convey she is present was quite an intriguing angle, for the humans know that the alien is awake of the host's thoughts, so how could either Wanda or Melanie convey truth to the humans.

What was also great about this teen dystopia is that it does NOT have the usual obvious and drawn out backstory of Insurgent, The Giver, or Divergent. Once you've seen one dystopia backstory, you've seen them all.

Overall, I loved the movie from stem to stern. The story, acting, and cinematography was top notch. Call me crazy, call me nuts, call me what you will, but I not only enjoyed but loved this movie. Intellectually, emotionally, and visually enrapturing.
½ May 11, 2017
It was an okay movie, it was nothing like the book! There are so many important details missing it's like watching a completely different thing. I would recommend reading the book not watching the movie.
½ May 9, 2017
The most slow paced , boring alien movie I've ever seen.
½ May 8, 2017
Of someone offers you the choice of watching the host or beating yourself to death with a rusty spanner...pick the spanner it's quicker!

Stopped the movie a million times just to Google who the he'll all the different blondes were.

Silly person jumps out of the window in high heels and spends hours walking in the desert..in 4 inch high heels!!!!

No real villain like really, no threat except some woman who gets shot immediately!!!
April 8, 2017
Every once and awhile a film so bad that it makes you angry just to watch it. Made specifically for tween girls there's lot of mindless smoothing without rationale, after which our heroine slaps the guys for questioning her intent. Get that lobotomy before watching.
March 9, 2017
Flat, uninspiring. I'll go and read the book because the story line is good but it didn't translate well to a movie.
½ March 3, 2017
Ummmm... what? No. Just no.
½ February 13, 2017
Wow.
How could they have messed this up even more?
God, all the characters are stupid and boring. They have no motivation except for 'Melanie' (Which I will discuss in a bit).
The whole bit at the beginning with the narrator really annoyed me, especially about the whole 'perfect society' which is stereotypical and a overused cliche in science fiction film.
I should have probably suspected at the time of watching it that it was bad, I just can't believe that the director of Gattica made this!
Why on earth would you team up with stephanie meyer? She's one of the worst authors of all time!
The main character of Melanie and the alien are only there so that the 'love' story can continue forward with a tiny bit of conflict from a seeker. Melanie is in an abusive relationship and this is not the way that romances should be played out. Likewise, her boyfriend is only there as the cliched 'bad boy' and the other guy is the one on the side for the alien.
There is one point where 'melamine' in her head switches her accent midway through a scene.
Oh theres a famous line "kiss me like you wanna get slapped", I can't believe this was made for young girls :(
Worst directing, worst acting, worst music, worst cinematography, worst tone and pacing, worst script, oh and its riddled with cliches and plot holes.
February 8, 2017
No matter what other people say, I really liked this movie. I thought the plot was good and the actors were good as well. I'm interested in reading the book now. Plus the soundtrack was really good.
½ January 28, 2017
January 18, 2017
Film critics bore off Zzz. Sick of reading your negative and dreary reviews of good films time and time and time again on here? Films are for the public so the user score represents much more importance and value than yours. Take things far too seriously Zzzz. Enough said. Very different to anything I've seen before. Nice storyline with a nice ending. Good film. Will enjoy this unless your a critic in that case don't bother ha.
December 31, 2016
Books are always better, I get that but from a film stand point, I really loved how they did it. There is always going to be things that they leave out. The relationships are great, you can really feel the hatred wafting off Maggie. I loved the turmoil Wanderer was having with trying to cope with her feelings for Ian and the feelings of Jared.

I liked both endings, I just wished they had of kept to the book on the ending. I really was waiting for the other Host to pop his head out and say that they had a Host of their own too. I recommend this to my friends regardless of the 8% Rotten Tomato rating. You can't form your own opinions of others, you need to see it for yourself. Take the risk, what's the worst that can happen? You don't like it?
December 31, 2016
This movie is trying to say being different sometimes is unique
December 25, 2016
I liked this movie and really enjoyed the book. Did not watch the movie since the reviews were so bad, but I thought it was good.