The Host - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Host Reviews

January 16, 2018
With its sci-fi, it's thoroughly intriguing, but its romance, as should be expected from Stephanie Meyer, is just messy. Plus, there are plenty of weak moments that seem wacky ["store"!] or nonsensical.
½ December 31, 2017
My all time favorite book. Movie was awful when will they learn to make a movie like the book of that want their fas to like it?
½ December 24, 2017
Trash garbage movie.
December 13, 2017
Loved it!!!! Very underrated movie. A must see
December 13, 2017
A little slower but more thought out. an excellent movie imo one that should have done alot better. However people are comparing it to twilight when it's not even in the same category. Overall I loved it!!!!!
December 2, 2017
One of my Favorite movies. Emotional, meaningful and entertaining.
½ November 7, 2017
The movie is totally unfaithfull to the book, transforming an exiting and different story into a dull love triangle. It really makes me sad about the way the movie turned out.
½ September 29, 2017
The mediocrity of the book is successfully transferred to the screen in this story of a love quadrangle set during an alien invasion of Earth.

IMDB says this movie cost $40 million to make but I'm left wondering where did all the money go? Everything about The Host is so cheap. The acting (yes, even William Hurt) is cheap, the musical score is generic, and the sets look like they were borrowed from a syndicated TV show.
September 3, 2017
I gotta say that I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this movie. Maybe you need to have read the book to like the movie, but like it I did. Maybe even loved it. I was super impressed by how they managed to put that internal conflict on screen and the souls themselves. Make your own judgment and give this movie a chance.
August 11, 2017
2017-08-11 way better than expected, even though there were some plot gaps
August 7, 2017
A total useless dance between alien rationality and a girl who tries to be hard, which brings you to boredom as soon as he meets the boy. Dialogues entirely casual written in desperate, typical Meyer. The more I appreciate Saoirse Ronan, the more I hate this movie
½ July 29, 2017
Well, my girlfriend asked me to go with and I obliged. It was pretty excruciating. To be fair, afterwards even SHE apologized for dragging me along. Unless you are a Fan, buyer best beware!
½ July 26, 2017
Instead of making the most of its interesting premise and a strong lead performance from Saoirse Ronan, The Host instead suffers from bad writing, bad directing, and the fact that it stretches a potentially 95 minute story into a 125 minute boring dud. Despite the previously mentioned performance from Saoirse Ronan and several unintentionally funny moments, the film takes itself way too seriously, which only succeeds in making it worse. What little action there is is mostly dull and unentertaining, and the dialogue is painfully unoriginal. It pains me to be writing such a bad review, because I went into this movie really wanting to like it, but there's not even enough good to count as a good excuse to watch it once. Alright, I will admit that the film's visual aesthetic is unexpectedly impressive, but even that's not enough to make up for how boring, lazy, long, and generally bad it is. For those looking for a better movie to watch and appreciate Saoirse Ronan's talent, see the movie How I Live Now from the same year. Whatever you do, don't watch this movie on date night. Your date will fall asleep.
½ July 7, 2017
Don't hate it, but find the romance to be bland.
½ July 4, 2017
Bit of an underrated movie, it's not your average big explosion alien invasion movie no, however it does introduce an alien invasion genre I haven't seen a whole lot of. The Twilight is definitely strongly noticeable, which is something that will attract and repel people.
June 24, 2017
Un postulat de départ intéressant, une réalisation pas inintéressante mais qui perd beaucoup en pratique. Un peu trop milieux, une fin décevante, il en reste que je conseille pour une soirée tranquille sans se prendre la tête, mais loin d'être en tête de liste!
June 6, 2017
Finally got round to seeing this and in 2 words Bloody Brilliant!!!! â~º
June 4, 2017
This movie was pretty good! I would definitely recommend reading the book first, I did and it made the movie so much more enjoyable. It can be hard to understand what is going on if you haven't read the book. I thought the acting was pretty good. It was a little slow in some parts but kept me interested. It also followed the story pretty closely, there was one or two added scenes and some scenes I wished they would have included but it was still a great movie. There were obviously some flaws, like any movie, but it was worth watching for me.
May 22, 2017
This is a must see! At first, with the description it doesn't seem very good. Trust me, this is a very good movie! I'm not into Syfy movies, but this isn't the typical "Syfy" movie!
Just watch and you'll see :-)