Reviews

• Sep 18, 2021

Despite a weak script, this movie brings it! The over the top action is pure fun and Danny Glover doesn't get credit for being a great lead in this one.

• Jun 13, 2021

A very entertaining experience with Jet Li. James Wong's science-fiction action thriller The One (2001) is very derivative of The Matrix as well as quite dated to the early 2000's in every conceivable way. From the goofy slow motion bullet dodges to the admittedly neat sci-fi concept of parallel universes allowing for someone to kill their alternate selves for superpowers. While the story is basic with some nonsensical science to all that fiction, it's certainly a dumb fun action movie. Wong's direction is action focused and moves forward quickly. You're surely never going to get bored with The One. You're watching The One just for Jet Li beating up scores of men with clever special effects like groundbreaking CGI and inventive perspective tricks to show Jet Li as two different men in the same shot. James Coblentz' creative editing has snappy cuts and interesting perspective changes for a fast paced 87 minutes. I should say the visual effects team of Susan Zwerman, Cosmas Paul Bolger Jr., Craig Hayes, Jason Heapy, Eric Durst, Alyssa Fong, and Mark Ashton Hunt did a great job warping bodies and creating CGI people for the action. I have to mention The One's nu-metal soundtrack is hilarious in how angst driven and dated it sounds, yet builds up tension and intensity immediately. Jet Li bursts into action with Drowning Pool's "Bodies" blasting as he shoots and punches his way through multiverse cops. Disturbed's "Down with the Sickness" drops as Jet Li escapes from police capture, but my favorite part is definitely Blood Brothers playing as Jet Li battles himself. This would look ridiculous, but Robert MacLachlan's cinematography captures Jet Li's kung fu and thai chi moves with nice looking wide shots. The sparks section of his final confrontation with himself shows Jet Li in full possession of his martial arts prowess. It's very funny hearing The One end on Papa Roach's "Last Resort" as Jet Li engages in combat with violent inmates of a space penal colony in that iconic zooming out shot of The One. The One has it all. Drowning Pool's "Sinner" is even the end credits song. Trevor Rabin's nice score doesn't have quite the impact compared to the various nu-metal staples represented here for some teenage metalhead nostalgia. Jet Li is fantastic as Law, Yulaw, and Lawless with numerous parts to play in The One. He's endearing and cool, scary and violent, as well as intriguing with a sense of humor. The One is definitely a showcase for Li's martial arts skills and acting versatility. I do think they could have lessened some of the slo-mo and shootouts to focus more on Li's hand to hand skills. Jason Statham's frustrated multiverse cop is funny, while Delroy Lindo adds some gravitas and heart. Carla Gugino is great as TK and gorgeous as the redhead version of Massie. I liked Dean Norris' cameo as the space cop in the beginning transporting Lawless. In all, The One is sort of terrible, but a really entertaining action feature.

• Jun 09, 2021

This was my favorite movie when I was like 7, and now that I am older rewatching the movie, it's a little cringe at times, but doesn't change the fact that this movie is still one of my favorites.

• Mar 19, 2021

a movie to enjoy good action scenes, new concepts about travel between universes as well as great fight choreographies. Not forgetting Jet Li's charisma.

• Mar 19, 2021

The fight scenes were very unmemorable here, with no gimmicks or anything unexpected happening, though I appreciated that each fight seemed to have a conclusive ending most of the time - the only thing worse than a boring fight is one with no clear victor. The premise itself felt unique enough that I'll probably recall this movie as "that one with the guy killing copies of himself", and they utilized it well by causing plot points that sort of revert themselves by the characters living in other universes. What I'll remember most about this movie is its obscenely generic soundtrack - I pictured the guy in charge of it googling "hard rock music", choosing the first 6 or so results in order & never looking back as there wasn't a single song played that I hadn't heard a million times before. Hell, if they'd waited a few years to make this they could've chosen the songs they did by listening to 25-second samples of them on iTunes by sorting the hard rock genre by most popular & seeing which ones had vaguely fight-related lyrics. I'm very surprised to see that the director of this had co-created the Final Destination franchise as those movies are vastly superior to this one.

• Nov 19, 2020

I love this movie! "I am Yulaw, I am no one's bitch. You are mine." Yeah I'm watching this is in 2020 and I'm giving it four stars, cause why the f*k not?

• Nov 13, 2020

Dad says: This was a lot more fun when I saw it in theaters when I was a teenager... Mom says: Two Words: Jason Statham Kid says: Great movie!

• Nov 02, 2020

I liked the concept really interesting plot, much action

I liked the concept really interesting plot, much action

• Aug 18, 2020

Ridiculous sci-fi plot that explores the multiverse concepts before the comic book movies cold get to it. But damn are those fight scenes cool.

• Jul 02, 2020

A mess of a story and poor effects leave the actors trapped.

A mess of a story and poor effects leave the actors trapped.