The Void Reviews

• Nov 12, 2020

If you added a cosmic cult aspect to John Carpenter's 'The Thing' and set it in a modern-day hospital, you'd have something that resembled 'The Void.' Some truly creepy beings that don't rely on CGI (I assume?) really helps this movie along, although it suffers from some typical horror faults too. Wouldn't mind a sequel to delve deeper into the void.

• Oct 25, 2020

A truly horrifying piece of body horror work. I might even call it a masterpiece. Heavily inspired by the atmosphere of a Lovecraftian horror genre, it reminds me of the The Thing and Event Horizonesque sinisterness and claustrophobia. The excution of cosmic horror elements were on spot, far superior to both of the films mentioned in the sense of fully embodying that eery theme that the late Lovecraft sought to instill in his tales.

• Sep 24, 2020

Group of people hole up in a hospital after being surrounded by hooded goons but inside, there's a doctor who is turning people into monsters and doing something with a postal-y looking thing in the bowels of the hospital.

• Sep 21, 2020

The pinnacle of cosmic horror, with an 80s low budget style that truly doesn't disappoint.

• Sep 05, 2020

Pretty good for a semi-horror flick. Some bad special effects, but otherwise not a bad movie.

• Sep 01, 2020

The best special effects that pay homage to classic 80's & 90's horror movies. Don't miss out and do not listen to some of the critiques that do not truly reflect the movie. Watch and decide for yourselves, and most will actually get a good scare that most modern horror films will not deliver. After reading some of the other reviews, I feel that the most either love this movie or hate it. There is not much middle ground in opinion of the film. Saying this, I noticed that the neative feedback was predominantly focused on "poor acting or poor script" and the most common complaint was confusion over the movie's script or storyline. The storyline was super clear to me, and the script slowly leads the viewer along for the dark & creepy descent into an other world of pure evil that the local sadistic cult has actively persued to gain entry or bring this world to ours. From the opening scene when two people who are vehemently trying to run for their lives escaping this cult with dire results. With the only survivor from that scene badly wounded is found and brought to the iolated hospital that is effectively closing it's doors permanently. Once there the characters that are at the hospital find that the cult is now surrounding the premises as well as not allowing anyone to leave the hospital. With all of this storyline transpiring in the first 20 minutes of the story it is clear to me what has happened and am excited to see where it takes the viewing audience. I guess my point is that most of the negative reviews are due to either not paying attention to the movie or just not fans of intense 80's style Lovecraft monster movie'. So I would suggest to those curious to watch or not watch this film, ask yoursef this,"do I love LOVECRAFT monster movies & 80's gore horror"? If so then this is a great movie. I love both and for a small budget I consider this movie to be one if not my favorite modern horror movie in the past 10 years. I love this film & of course there are some aspects that could have been better yet for the story, acting, and amazing special effects (not CGI) this is a modern cult classic. It is subjective to praise or condemn a movie, yet I really cannot think of many current (past 10 years) horror movies that are as good as this one. This movie's story is scary as it is a somewhat plausible concept if you believe that Hell could or is real. The 90's version of this movie that share similar basic story of Hell could be real are 3 favorites of mine: In the Mouth of Madness, Lord of Illusions, and finally Event Horizon. All of these classic 90's horror movies illustrate that Hell could be real as well as it does not have to be the cliche version that most have in mind. Enjoy

• Aug 02, 2020

The Void was on a great pace throughout the movie, however the ending didn't hold up. Still, definitely worth a watch for horror movie fans!

• Jul 25, 2020

Pretty good, definitely in my top 5 for the Lovecraftian genre.

Pretty good, definitely in my top 5 for the Lovecraftian genre.

• Jul 25, 2020

Credit the makers for trying, they threw everything at the screen. However this just meant the clear line was lost making it a weak mash up of various horror tropes.

• Jul 23, 2020

It succeeds in creating an atmospheric, cosmic horror that lovecraft would probably enjoy; with plenty of practical effects and grotesque imagery. However, it falters by having a goofy main antagonist, who explains his master plan away like a super villain, draining the tension and mystery from the plot like a tentacle flailing monstrosity.