The Wedding Video - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Wedding Video Reviews

½ April 29, 2015
About as hit-and-miss and inconsistent as a rom-com can be to be quite honest. There are some definite truths about the film as a whole about how sometimes the people themselves getting married aren't even sure if they're doing it for the right reasons, people making decisions for the couple that they have absolutely little to no input on. Of course it does so in a way that is silly and sitcom-y, but there's some good themes at its core here. Perhaps they're not as explored as well as they could be considering that the movie was meant to be light, breezy and easy to watch as opposed to making you think about the institution of marriage as a whole. But, as I mentioned, the film isn't exactly the most consistent of comedies. Like there's some bits that are great, and a lot of them involve Jenna, the wedding planner, and there's others that just fall flat on their face. For example the whole bit with the priest who always laughs at his own jokes. It works the first time, but it's not like tears are coming out of your eyes. You think that's cute and you move on from it. It's not like they beat it dead by doing the same joke, say, 8 times in the film. But they do it enough that it's, obviously, the law of diminishing returns and it's not nearly as funny. Hell, after the first one, I wouldn't have called them funny at all. It just seems too forced and contrived really. It's not really the only part of the films that comes across this way. With films whose comedic stylings resemble more sitcom-y type antics, as opposed to borrowing influence from the classics or more dialogue-driven films, that contrivance is somewhat inevitable. That doesn't mean it can't be good when done correctly, however. I don't have a problem with the film relying so much on this as much as I do with the film just not being consistent from beginning to end. There's just some lines that, if I had seen this in a theater, I probably could've heard atoms moving instead of uproarious laughter. The cast, however, is pretty damn good all things considered. Lucy Punch is always great. The one who stole the show, however, would definitely have to be Michelle Gomez who played, as mentioned Jenna the wedding planner. She definitely got the most laughs out of me than anyone else in the entire film. Not that I think the movie is bad, because it's not, it's almost good actually, but if someone could put all of Jenna's scenes into one video and post it on YouTube, then I'd suggest watching that instead of the entire film. That might come across as an insult, but it's really not. It's just that the film is, honestly, an incredibly frustrating mixed bag. At least Jenna's appearances, to me, were always funny. I was never not entertained by Jenna. With that said, while there are parts of the film that are good, the cast, for one, is really quite excellent. The writing, however, is a huge letdown. Talk about peaks and valleys. Still a decent movie overall, but one I wouldn't recommend due to its pronounced inconsistencies.
½ April 12, 2015
A less rom com film than i imagined its still funny and great cameos. Odd that Hound is the main star but he does a good job. Punch is comic genious and nice to see Matt Berry. This is a story of a man whois going to film a wedding but things get in the way.
½ March 5, 2015
Well made, funny British comedy! Worth checking out for some good laughs...
June 27, 2014
A really great romantic comedy if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.
½ June 25, 2014
This movie is absolutely hilarious! I truly do not understand why there are so many poor ratings from usersâ?¦
½ June 13, 2014
Such a creative and fun movie!
½ May 29, 2014
I loved it!!! It's one of the funniest movies I've seen in a long, long time. Very well acted and beautifully paced. It is everything a comedy should be! I cried laughing. Lucy Punch is a revelation.
May 29, 2014
Just loved this movie! It' made me laugh out loud... Lucy Punch is hilarious and Rufus and Robert just added that special british humor. Great twist at the end, didn't expect it, but sure did like it!
December 8, 2013
Some very funny lines. Not your normal wedding movie :)
June 27, 2013
Disappointing brit rom com. Whilst Hound and Webb are the main stars in this the better performances are from the ladies in the cast, especially Punch and Margoyles.
June 26, 2013
The story is just about interesting enough to create some staying power, but it is woefully short of comic moments for what is supposed to be a comedy.
June 24, 2013
Purposefully disjointed and clunky plot. More a series of sketches than a romantic comedy but nevertheless very enjoyable. Plenty of surprisingly virtuosic performances from Rufus Hound and Harriet Walter especially.
June 23, 2013
A hilarious brit comedy which captured the unique British humour marvellously. Rufus Hound played his part exceptionally and provided so much fuel for the laughs. A very good wedding comedy film, thoroughly fun and entertaining.
June 23, 2013
Why this movie gets such terrible reviews is a mystery to me. It's no way a innovative story and has no daring Hangover jokes but it's absolutely entertaining. The comic moments are delivered well but it stays a little on the timid side. It could have had more of an edge and there is a tendency to have rather great moments end in a bit of an anti climax. Lucy Punch is great as the former wild girl getting married. She has a unique quirky style that you either love or not at all; that was obviously the risk to leave the leading role to her. If this movie doesn't suit you this might be why but there is nothing wrong with either the acting performance or the script.
June 21, 2013
Querky film, but quite funny!
May 3, 2013
Rather lame, lacking genuine laughs.
½ March 22, 2013
Likeable enough, but this fumbles the laughs time and time again. The game cast do well enough to make it worth a watch.
½ March 19, 2013
Jeg synes denne var helt okey. Passe sær britisk humor.