Threesome - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Threesome Reviews

July 1, 2017
Whip smart, funny & sexy, this unfairly neglected gem is a totally satisfying mid-90's college dramedy.
½ July 11, 2016
This film is reflective - both of the 90s college experience, and of the way things were when coming out during that time for young men. If that's what you're looking for, I recommend it.
½ April 7, 2016
A very underrated drama from the 90's. The story is in a way groundbreaking for it's time and will forever be timeless. Good acting (Stephen Baldwin impresses the most) and solid directing by Andrew Fleming.
April 21, 2015
Poorly just thrown together movie.
November 28, 2014
an all time favorite
August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
December 27, 2013
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE THIS MOVIE
December 21, 2013
It wasn't great, but I liked it...
December 6, 2013
Saw this years ago, not a bad 90's film. Unusual subject matter for a mainstream film, but not too tacky.
½ May 11, 2013
An uncomfortably honest dramedy that tells the complexities of friendship, sex and sexuality in the maddening testosterone-driven university days.
½ May 3, 2013
When I was a student it was absolutely hilarious.
½ March 4, 2013
A very cute comedy/drama about a bizarre love triangle between Generation X kids in college, it's all mixed up! It's not Citizen Kane, but you'll have a fun time, specially if you are into that quirky, alternative, staple 90s cinema.
December 26, 2012
The very young Josh Charles, Lara Flynn Boyle & Stephen Baldwin back then.
½ December 2, 2012
In desperate need of a new pair of shoes right now!
½ July 29, 2012
Part of my adolescent years, which seemed so very sophisticated and mature at the time.
April 6, 2012
Awesome movie, funny and relate able.
March 14, 2012
It's actually a really brilliant movie with each relationship and issue within the love triangle seeming very real. I think it's brilliantly acted and I highly recommend it to anyone.
½ December 21, 2011
In a way you might say that my gayness grew up with this film. I first saw it not long after it was released in Belgium, when I was around 14 or 15, still in the closet, but not harbouring any illusions about my own sexuality. Weirdly enough I saw it with my family, and I mostly remember my mother complaining to my dad how inappropriate the film was, whilst he and my little brother laughed like maniacs at the ‚easy‚? jokes.

But I also remember being thoroughly fascinated, and it turned out to be one of those films I would remember in vivid detail years later when I saw it a second time. It also cemented my admiration for Lara Flynn Boyle who had a) a totally cool sounding triple name thing going in (I seem to have a fetish for this, as I in time also fell hard for Sarah Michelle Gellar, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Jamie Lee Curtis, Neil Patrick Harris, Helena Bonham Carter, and so on); b) starred in Twin Peaks, at that point the most intriguing, incomprehensible, totally awesome show I had ever seen; and last but not least c) fucked two guys, first taking turns and then at the same time. I may have missed some of the subtleties of the story, but I definitely got that Lara was a bad-ass bitch.

It was about a year after coming out that I saw the film again, and as I mentioned, I was surprised at how much I remembered from the film. I was also surprised at how much sub-text I had missed at the time. Lara was still a bad-ass bitch though, so my enjoyment of this quirky piece of cinema continued on undaunted.

Another four years or so later I saw it a third time. I was volunteering for a LGBT youth group at the time (not realising yet that I would end up devoting all my spare time to this group for quite a number of years, in some capacity or other) and I had to prepare a gay themed film activity. Basically showing clips from films, discussing and recommending stuff. There were really only two films I wholeheartedly recommended at the time: Better Than Chocolate and of course, the subject of this review. It was during this activity that I was confronted for the first time with the astonishing fact that NOT everyone liked this film. As a matter of fact, quite a few people seemed to find it rather dull.

Despite this sobering experience I insisted on including the film again several years later when I had to head a similar workshop at a LGBT camp for teenagers, where I was one of the organizing crew. Again I was confronted with several philistines who did not appreciate the brilliance of this film, but this time I was gratified with at least some who shared my liking of the very first ‚gay‚? film I ever saw.

And now I watched it again with my room-mate, who happens to love it, more than I do even. And even after all these years, it still comes close to enchanting me. Of course, now I know that at the time of its release it was almost universally panned by critics, receiving some very harsh reviews. I also know that it was not much of a success commercially either. And that the Baldwin brother who played open-minded straight dude Stuart has since become a Born Again Christian and denounced the film, lamenting his participation in it. I also know that I still think he never again did any kind of acting that came close to being as good as he did here. I know that Josh Charles is a talented actor who started with a bit part in John Waters‚(TM) Hairspray, then became a bankable young actor with Dead Poets Society & Don‚(TM)t tell mom the babysitter‚(TM)s dead, before this film became partially responsible for halting the rise of his career. I know that, talented though he may be, I really only like Josh Charles in this film.

Most importantly, I know that Lara is still a bad-ass bitch.
December 12, 2011
The title says it all. I'm sure you can figure out what this movie involves. Twisted, perverted and dirty, obviously NOT for the kids or narrow minded people. But it's a must-see crazy fucked up mess. I'd highly recommend it!!!