Thumbsucker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Thumbsucker Reviews

April 3, 2016
I really liked the father character in this. He was flawed in a way. At first just thought , asshole, but became actually more curious with regards to his complicated personality. I liked the way Justin reconnects with Rebecca, and tags along with their pot smoking progression. It helps them become closer. Very good watch
December 4, 2015
Six feet under, dogville, Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and such are movies that move me beyond imagination, this one just make it to the list! a powerful simplist story of youth and fear, adulthood and doubts! Perfection comes in many flavors of thumbs!
August 22, 2015
I don't know what it is, but Tilda Swinton was so attractive in this movie. She can be my rehab any day.
February 28, 2015
Describes my general disposition.
January 21, 2015
Keanu Reeves AND Vincent D'Onofrio! <3
September 2, 2014
Waste of celluloid and talent - lugubrious, uninviting, coming of age story - you'll wonder why you'd care about any of these caricatures (oh, I mean characters)
½ August 30, 2014
A friend of a friend described this as "a modern indie masterpiece." With some reservations I have to agree.

It has all the markers of solid indie filmmaking, all the while finding a unique voice to differentiate itself.

The plot includes a shy lead, family issues, depression, and teenaged angst from all the characters, regardless of age. However, the markers of a solid indie don't lie in the plot, but in how it's handled.

Thumbsucker typical of what you'd expect from an "indie masterpiece" is off kilter and eccentric; and at times very much aware of itself. Some aspects, including a new age orthopedist channeled by who else but Keanu Reeves, hit that bittersweet spot that define the term indie; sad tinged funny, genuine in emotion but ironic on a stylistic level. The movie flexes with solid indie muscle, with all the oxymoronic inclinations of the phrase.

What sets it apart from the pack then, besides its skill is the peculiar way the movie regards the characters regarding themselves and each other. Thumbsucker has a level of lightness to it that almost feels like detachment sometimes. Justin calls his parents by their first names, and it feels like the movie carries that same level of detached affection. It's not a flaw or a strength, just an observation.

I said Thumbsucker's unique but now that I'm thinking about it it's pretty much Little Miss Sunshine, American Beauty, and Rocket Science blended together with the volume turned down a little bit. About Justin's thumb sucking hinted at in the title; it's both more and less important to the characters and the movie itself than you think. Keanu Reeves' ultimate suggestion; shrink your definition of normal enough and everyone's pretty strange.
August 15, 2014
Well OK I suppose. Part of that US suburban psycho genre, but not up there with 'American Beauty', 'We Need to Talk About Kevin', 'Revolutionary Road', or 'Far From Heaven'. But you get the idea. Wacky, well-acted, and supposedly from the life. Hard to get excited about, though.
August 5, 2014
What in it really makes them happy? Which is the great reply that we search in our lives? In "Thumsucker" (U.S.A., 2003) these are only some of the questions of all the film. From the universe of an adolescent of 17 years, who still posses the habit to absorb the finger, the initial director in fiction Mike Mills obtains to approach the quandaries of the life and on the inside to travel of the soul human being. Friction for the others, and even for he himself, as quaint, the young protagonist Justin wants to get rid itself of its vice, but she finishes for discovering that its old infantile custom is only the consequence most apparent of its fidgets and unreliabilities. The great surprise of "Thumbsucker" is that the day of Justin also serves so that let us can know the imperfections of all the other personages who surround it. Its search for self-knowledge affects all its return, and of a form, or of another one, it makes with that also they question its proper lives. Without being tiring, the film is yes, a philosophical, but full workmanship of affection, mainly with the notable performance of Lou Taylor Pucci (more good actor in the festivals of Sundance and Berlin of 2005), that it makes of its unsafe Justin a memorable personage, and obtains to be distinguished in a cast of veterans, making with that, if it wants let us distrust that this is only, one of its first works for the cinema.
July 25, 2014
Couldn't get past the first 20 minutes.
½ July 18, 2014
Definitely an oddity, but it's not on the same level as other indie films similar in style. I found it meaningless and forgettable. (First and only viewing - 7/18/2014)
March 6, 2014
wow ummmmn just seen this movie 4 the 1st time n think that this is a good movie 2 watch.......its got a good cast of actors/actressess throughout this movie......i think that lou taylor pucci, tilda swinton, vince vaughn, vincent d onofrio, keanu reeves, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......i think that the director of this drama/art house/international/comedy movie had done a good job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie......i think that lou taylor pucci was good thorughout this movie as the lead role of justin throughout this movie......i think that benjamin bratt was brilliant thorughout this movie.......i think that the cameos thorughout this movie Nancy O'Dell as herself,
Walter Kirn (cameo) as Debate judge, were good throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that keanu reeves was brilliant throughout this movie......its got a good soundtrack throughout this movie......i think that kelli garner was good throughout this movie......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie.......i think that this is such a really enjoyable movie 2 watch.......i think that this is such a really powerful drama movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......i think that keanu reeves was brilliant thorughout this movie......i think that this is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch its got a great cast throughout this movie......its such an enjoyable movie 2 watch........
December 28, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
½ December 3, 2013
Just a overrated movie
November 1, 2013
A dysfunctional family, a dysfunctional teenager looking for some sense for his life.
Maybe the phrase from Perry resumes all: "The trick is living without answers"
October 16, 2013
JOUISSANCE DU SEPTIÃME
September 4, 2013
A film that feels like it would almost literally stand up and say to aspiring filmmakers, "You can make a film if you care to have a concept, stay true to that concept and make as many right moves as you can given the circumstances." Admittedly, there are many other independant films that could do the same, but this film was the first to hit me.
½ August 6, 2013
Based upon the book by Walter Kim first published in 1999, and directed by Mike Mills (Beginners (2010)), this is a touching, quirky and funny film about growing pains and the stuggle to break certain habits. It has a very good cast, and made for a meagre $4 million, it manages to do quite a bit with not a lot, but it is a very memorable film. It's odd and it won't be for everyone, but something rings true about it. 17 year old Justin Cobb (Lou Pucci) is a shy high-school student who keeps to himself, but he still sucks his thumb, which irritates his parents Audrey (Tilda Swinton) and Mike (Vincent D'Onofrio), who he refers to by their first name. This habit has led to Justin having major orthodontic repair work, but his dentist Dr. Perry Lyman (Keanu Reeves) is able to put Justin into a hypnotic trance to get him off sucking his thumb, but this makes him even more miserable, and it affects his schoolwork. His parents put him on Ritalin, which improves his social skills and leads to him doing really well at school, but it leads to him becoming quite aggressive. Thumbsucker is a good little indie film, and it's a good character piece, but it's quirkiness does work against it at times, especially in the middle. But it manages to be likeable for the most part, and it shows how teenagers can deal with the angst that happens.
June 11, 2013
An entertaining movie about teens and the turbulent thoughts and emotion. Subtly deals with some serious issues too. A good watch overall.