The Time Traveler's Wife - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Time Traveler's Wife Reviews

cosmo313
½ April 27, 2013
Based on some chick-lit that I bet I'll never read, this is the story of a Chicago librarian named Henry who, thanks to a genetic condition, inexplicably and uncontrollably travels through time, especially during moments of duress.

Since he can't control the frequency or duration of his trips, Henry tries to avoid getting all that close to anyone...until he meets Clare- an artist and heiress who captures his heart. Despite the complications his condition brings, the two try to carry on a relationship, and make the most the most of what moments they get to share together.

I'm not a fan of chick flicks, but a straight male coworker of mine who is, told me I might like this one, mostly because of the time travel/fantasy element. This is a romantic film, and it has it's emotional/tearjerker moments, but it's less sappy and more humorous than it seems. That the script was written by the same guy who scripted Ghost is probably one of the reasons why I ended up liking this, as the two are similar, and that it a genre film I admittedly enjoy.

The cast are solid, and play it serious. Bana and McAdams are very likable, and Livingston had some good moments too. As much as I enjoyed the two leads, I think it would have been nice to see how this would have worked had they cast the book's author's choices of Adrien Brody and Lauren Ambrose.

The film deals with the expected time travel issues by not really dealing with them or giving much of an explanation. I liked that. Sometimes you don't need an explanation. I mean, it's romantic fantasy, not romantic realism. It also is decently well shot, has fitting music, and managed to get me a little misty-eyed.

All in all, a flawed, but still decently creative and clever film. I'm not big on romance, but they won me over with fine acting and an intriguing premise, so good job.
½ January 31, 2010
Eh... not as cracked up as I thought it would be. The premise is better than the movie itself.
½ April 18, 2012
I liked it. Mind you, I have not read the book. It is hard not to feel for Clare who loves a guy who trips in and out of her life - sometimes older, sometimes younger. One of the failings though is that it feels like the times he time travels away from Clare's life are set up to make the movie more interesting - not any regular or random intervals.
½ September 4, 2010
Really nice book! Really nice movie!! Chick flick heaven...I liked this. It was lovely, romantic, sad, beautiful, touching.
theunknownhobo
August 25, 2011
I did not think I would like this movie as much as I did as I found the novel to be dry and very confusing, but Eric Bana was wonderful in it and even Rachel McAdams did not do entirely unwell in it. A definite chick flick, void of much more, the depth of story is fascinating even if I think the sci fi elements were lacking.
DreamExtractor
½ August 17, 2011
It was okay, it could've been better. The plot was very confusing, very long, and my mind was lost trying to take all this ib, but the romance was beautiful. The cast was good, I espically loved Racheal McAdams, she was very good. The story was not vety good, the cast was good, and the movie overall was just okay.
murphmann93
June 23, 2011
Another exceptional perfomance from Rachel McAdams in this truly heartbreaking story. A must see!
deano
½ August 12, 2009
Surprisely, touching and heartbreaking love story. The sweet scene I ever see Henry (Eric Bana) travels to the future and meets his lovely 10-year-old daughter Alba (amazing Hailey McCann). He gazes upon Alba with such love when she says, "I love you Daddy!".
Bana shows his ability to keep the story emotionally tense throughout. Rachel McAdams also shines out as stunning. Some of the other cast members fail to convince or show much emotional depth, mainly the younger actors and actresses. However, child actors tend not to have as much ability at such a young age.
The sentimentality and picturesque cinematography makes every second thoroughly enjoyable. The story is well put together and does not become unnecessarily difficult to follow. The mixture of all these elements makes The Time Traveller's Wife a delightful and touching love story.
½ May 11, 2011
For a film based on a book this is very good. As I haven't read the book before I feel like I have the whole picture from this film however that opinion might change after reading the book. It included enough for me to understand what was going on. Very emotional and difficult to watch their relationship. Great performances from all. I sure wouldn't want to be Clare.
MANUGINO
August 13, 2009
Saw it again and basically was like the first time seeing it. Absolutely loved this film, amazing acting and an incredible film of drama mixed with romance and tragic. Absolutely a well spend ticket on the movies and will probably buy it on dvd or blueray! Rachel McAdams just keeps blowing me away with here classical beauty.

Clare has been in love with Henry her entire life. She believes they are destined to be together, even though she never knows when they will be separated: Henry is a time traveler--cursed with a rare genetic anomaly that causes him to live his life on a shifting timeline, skipping back and forth through his lifespan with no control. Despite the fact that Henry's travels force them apart with no warning, Clare desperately tries to build a life with her one true love.
Japes
August 29, 2010
This is a long review. The summary is: This movie sucked.

There are many things that I did not like about this film. Overall it was very boring and didn't catch my interest at all. I nearly fell asleep before the 2 hours of it were over.

This film has many small conflicts as opposed to one large problem. Every time one of the small problems were solved, it seemed like the movie was over or could've ended right then and there. For example, the wedding- they do end up having a great wedding, the fight- it gets resolved, the miscarriages- they finally do have a daughter, etc. It just seemed like an ongoing trend and I really didn't like it. I kept thinking the movie was ending soon, but unfortunately it was not.

The script also needed a lot of work. "Will you marry me?" "No" "What?" "I mean yes! I just wanted to assert my freedom of will!" What the hell? Why did they have the character say that? Why couldn't she have just said "Yes" and saved five minutes of my life? It was a very stupid script. I suppose they put that part in there just for a small twist, but it was completely unnecessary and a waste of time. Then every time someone found out Henry was a time traveler they said "Oh, Shit!" EVERY TIME. They said it 4 times throughout the movie. It drove me crazy. Were they trying to be funny? Can't these people say anything else? It was so annoying and it seemed like the writer couldn't think of anything else for the characters to say.

The entire plot, I thought, was so stupid. So there is a time traveler who cannot change the future, cannot stop himself from travelling, and cannot choose where to time travel to? How boring is that? He can't change the future? Don't ALL time travelers change the future? It was just not a very well thought out idea. Then the fact that he time travels NAKED. Please, spare me. He has to break into houses/stores when he travels to steal clothes. How lame. There's nothing I like more than staring at someone's ass the entire movie. This movie goes against everything I thought I knew about time traveling. I give them props for being original, but it was a dumb idea all around. Some parts were sad, and I admit I got teary eyed at a few parts (that may have been because of the movie, or because it's allergy season...), but I never actually cried because I remembered how stupid the plot was. I also did not feel sorry for Claire or the daughter *SPOILER* when Henry died. People's fathers and husbands die every day and they will never be able to see them again. The daughter is a freaking time traveler and is able to control it to some extent, she can see her father any time she wants. Claire also saw her husband after he died. She should be thankful she even saw him at all, not all families can say they saw their loved ones months after they died.

There were so many unnecessary characters in this movie. The doctor, the mother, the brother, the father, etc. All those characters could've been taken out and it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to the movie. Those characters were pointless. The writer did not give them any important roles to play, therefore they had no effect on the storyline at all. Without the excess characters, that leaves Claire, Henry and their two daughters- the time traveling family. The whole movie revolved around the family, and we all know the family was boring. I say they should've made the background characters more important (like the mother) so that the movie was more watchable.

The other thing I had a problem with was the fact that Henry looks exactly the same at age 20, 30, and 40. They don't do much to change his appearance. I don't know about you, but my father did not look like a 40 year old at age 20. Sure they changed the hair a bit, but what else did they do that was noticeable? Not much. They should've gotten better make-up artists or something to actually convince me this man was the age he said he was as he was time traveling.

The time traveling also seemed very sloppily done to me. Throughout the film, I constantly thought "What the hell?". One minute he's over in his house, next minute he's in a train station, then he's at the zoo- it's like he's freaking teleporting to random places. Plus he looks the same age in every scene so it's hard to follow his time traveling adventures. Back to the Future executed their time travelling adventures very well. You always knew what was going on, you were never lost, and it was an exciting story where people could actually CHANGE the future, rather than just visit it.

Some parts of the movie were very confusing and very inconsistent. The beginning of the movie he didn't recognize Claire. Why didn't he recognize her? He recognized her everywhere else! The very beginning of the movie reminded me of Deaths of Ian Stone- the only difference was that Ian died and woke up in new places, and Henry disappears then reappears in new places. Then Ian in Deaths of Ian Stone, couldn't remember a thing after he ended up in the new place. When Henry didn't know what was going on when he met Claire, I immediately thought Deaths of Ian Stone.

Overall the movie was just so bland and boring. A guy who can't change the future or do anything fun with the future- time travels. Then he *SPOILER* dies at the end. Of course you don't know how he dies. I actually got excited for once and was eagerly awaiting his death to see something awesome happen. Unfortunately, I was let down....majorly. *SPOILER* You knew he got shot, but why? I was hoping it would be some car chase or something sweet like a gun fight, but you know what happened? It was an accidental shot that killed him. The hunter was aiming at the elk, but missed and got the time traveler instead. BORING. I guess it calms the audience to know it wasn't an intentional killing, but I really thought something great was about to go down. The whole movie was so bland and uninteresting, I was just praying for something cool to happen. Is that too much to ask?

This movie is a complete waste of time. I suggest you watch all three Back to the Futures to see what a real time traveling movie looks like. Don't waste your time on this movie. It's boring and stupid. However, I do recommend you watch this movie if you have trouble sleeping. This movie is guaranteed to make you fall asleep.
Chiefilms
½ September 5, 2010
Interesting topic, really deep and ultimately sad. The ending was beautiful though philosophically, bring on the rain. Metaphors coming at you from all directions. Time travel is just a metaphor for the distance between two individuals in a relationship, I get that you metaphor swindlers. This movie kind of bounces all over the place because Eric Bana won't stop disappearing and being naked. Rachel McAdams' character: "I love you, let's get married, let's have a baby" Eric Bana's character: "...Well it's time I disappear!!!" That's the basic gist of the whole movie.
erika250
August 2, 2010
i found it a bit confusing but i liked the time travel idea.
movieguru12
August 8, 2009
They all say that true love doesn't exist. This movie proved that theory wrong. As a boy Henry (Eric Bana), witnessed his mother dying but he didn't die because he had a certain gene that allowed him to time travel out of devestating situations & it also allowed him to time travel voluntaraly. This allowed him to meet Claire (Rachel McAdams), when she was six years old & Henry was an adult. Years later they meet again & Claire tells Henry that she was in love with Henry ever since he showed up in a bush near her house & that Henry was her best friend. They spend a lot of time together & Henry falls in love with Claire. They go through issues such as Claire not being able to conceive a child. Henry however can see into the future & tells her that the last time she tries they will have a baby. Henry's time traveling becomes a problem when he constantly disappears but their love for one another never fades & grows every day. A great romance that will inspire your heart & soul. :) Absolutely a five star movie!!! :)
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
February 3, 2009
"I wouldn't change one second of our life together."

A romantic drama about a Chicago librarian with a gene that causes him to involuntarily time travel, and the complications it creates for his marriage.

REVIEW
Confusing? Yes. Paradoxical? Yes. Implausible? Perhaps. In many ways, this convoluted, disjointed, time-shifting movie might be considered an effort in futility and chaos. Yet, based on its core premise, in some ways it makes perfect sense. This challenging storyline has a script that actually manages to penetrate to the core or of commonplace time, and cracks open the real possibility of time as the literal fourth-dimension and as such, all the confusion, paradoxical, and yes implausible becomes a playfully dramatic, comedic, and sad movie, a fusion of science fiction with the real. This remarkable effort actually captures the sense of time and the drift of continuity of living through and among time. There are some fascinating scenes that are breakthroughs for time travel movies and it sets a new level of sophistication. Whether or not the discrepant pacing, the slight imbalance are technical problems or only reflect the nature of the movie itself, remain to be sorted out in time. If, time travel ever does become a reality, then this movie can be easily seen as the first bold step towards its acceptance.
May 16, 2010
There were parts of this movie that were good and the movie does have a nice look to it, but overall it lacked a sense of tone which made kept me scratching my head, The overall idea is dark, but they do it in a way that it's a love story done in the style of Fight Club (which sounds really cool, but it misses the mark in a lot of ways). Eric Bana does his best, but it's a one note character and the guy is either aplogizing or cryng. And I really don't know about Rachel McAdams, but she has established that she can cry very naturally over the course of her career. Again, the film looks good, so I can't really say it wasn't well made, but it's just another case of spending a little bit more time on the script and you could have had a really interesting movie. Waste of a good idea.
bbcfloridabound
May 14, 2010
A Chick Flick, I'm not sure, but I found it to be an excellent film, with a great plot, and wishing something like this could happen. About a Girl whose soul mate keeps coming to and from the past and future. A good popcorn and cuddle on the couch with the one you love type movie. This movie is far more rewarding the flowers and candy, LOL. 5 STARS
½ August 10, 2009
Liked the movie more than the book, but it still didn't quite get me into the storyline. There's just something from holding me back from liking this tale, and I couldn't even tell you what it was.
½ August 11, 2009
04/04/2010 (DVD)

This film was hard to chew at first cause it starts off a little confusing, but as soon as I understood what was going on I started enjoying it.

You have to stay on your toes on this ride, cause every zip he takes through time has a linkage to a passage of the story, it all connects but during the movie you think its just random.

Many have hated the ending and I guess its not the best finishers for films, but I accepted this finishing style because I understood the 'Time Traveler's' situation.

Its a happy ending and a sad ending at the same time, but, you will not understand what I just said till you've seen it!
neverteaseaweasel
November 10, 2009
This is a hard movie to rate and review, because although incredibly pleasurable, it is by no means a "good" movie. The Time Traveler's Wife is definately a guilty pleasure movie, but it is still much better than I had anticipated. It is throughly engrossing and incredibly emotional. Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams are as good as can be expected given the material, and really much better than is necessary. They cannot be that extraordinary when working with a mediocre script and, also, having to wear their hearts on their sleeves. I think the film would be very much improved if it were just about Henry and Clare. The rest of the characters are just irritating and obnoxious. Beyond that, the film is shallow, rather corny, indulgent, and filled with an awful lot of "aww-shucks" sweetness. There is a good deal of incidental humor to keep people in their seats, and then throws around topics like vasectomy and child loss to remind us that this is a "intelligent, serious movie." It does pretty much everything it can to sell tickets.

Do not get me wrong, The Time Traveler's Wife really does the ability to break your heart, and is incredibly entertaining. I enjoyed it a lot, and would like to watch it again. It is just that I am snoot enough to harp on the flaws, which, even though they are present, they are not enough to outshine the bouyancy of Henry and Clare's unconditional love for each other, and their life together (may the grammar gods smite me for that sentence)