Total Recall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Total Recall Reviews

September 18, 2016
A sci-fi instant classic with Arnold Schwarzenegger!
September 8, 2016
Awesome movie. Very imaginative and clever. Sci fi of the best quality.
August 9, 2016
its ok for late night tv
July 29, 2016
Not the average Arnold action film it's got allot of story to tell and the first half was gripping but it got silly and very wierd, Some good shoot outs but a very strange film.
July 21, 2016
Get ready for the ride of your life. cause like, theres gonna be more rides, definitely, like driving your car everyday to work and Burger-Kings and, you remember the night at the carnival when you really wanted to kiss that Tiffany chick like super, and you bought tickets for the ferris wheel and she didn't even talk til you were to the very top. and now that i think of the title, it reminds me when i was calling her around midnight after halloween and she kept sending me to voicemail, but i didn't leave no message cause i aint no stalker, and i knew she forwarded me to voicemail too, the cunt, cause it only rand two and a half times. and i like, kept calling and calling but nothing. that was such a total recall. and what a total skank. and so Schwarziniggers fuckin this broad who looks like Sharon Stone and he gets all pussy-like and turns her over sideways and looks teary talkin bout how he aint never been to mars. fuck him. i aint been neither. i aint probably even seen movies about mars, but id be happier with tonsils grindin on Sharon Stone clit than a fucking red planet with not even enough water to drench her pussy back to full health after im done with it. and then he goes to his therapist and tells him he has dreams of running around on mars and Dr. Kats is like, "if you wanna go to mars, set up an appointment. but hes like, "fuck that" and machine guns more people than i've seen have sex in my life and then after he gets there, Urkle with a laser pointer drives him to mars bars in a fag cab. and this chick with three beautiful muffin bags and Schwarzinigger don't even suck one. anyway she gets shot and milk is spilling on the highway drowning possums and shit. but the capper is the guy in the mars lab basement talkin about "the key to quenching martians thirst is the red water" and he pulls up his shirt and this blackhead on his chest got so big that its letting out air at a speed where it sounds like words. that made me laugh and i was reminded of deaf retard #2 from The Ringer when he was trying to call for help.
½ June 27, 2016
Former secret agent has a memory chip and goes to Mars to find his true identity in this sci fi classic.
June 22, 2016
Probably the best movie ever made.
June 21, 2016
Classic. Just classic
½ June 19, 2016
All I have to do is press this button, and I'll be home in time for corn flakes! A silly badass sci fi which doesn't get any better than this! And who doesn't forget the exposure to the Martian atmosphere scenes!? Makes me tense every time this is viewed!
½ June 13, 2016
Why don't we get science fiction films like this anymore? This is amazing and smart storytelling.
May 26, 2016
It does have only a couple strange moments, but other than that, it is the second best movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and it's one of my all-time favorite movies. The action sequences are perfect, the setting is great, the acting from the cast is awesome, and it is a very creative movie. I love and recommend it.
May 23, 2016
amazing stuff ballz deep in sci fi pie fi
May 15, 2016
Nicely done film with quite believable version of the future and of course the charisma of Arnold.
½ May 9, 2016
It's been about 20 years since I originally saw Total Recall, but I don't know why I waited so long to watch it again. This movie has so many aspects that I absolutely love. It's in a sci-fi future world, it features an unlikely hero defying all odds, and it has a twisting plot that messes with your mind. I cannot express how much I love the fact that the movie continuously makes you question whether anything is really happening or not. I also adore the crazy practical effects. They use squibs to make the gunfire realistic, and awesome rubber faces for some of the gross-out moments. There are certain elements that aren't perfect, for instance I'm not a huge fan of the big machine being made by aliens, because that feels kind of contrived in the universe they created. But I connect to the story so strongly that I'm willing to forgive anything that might be considered a misstep. Arnold Schwarzenegger is perfectly fit for the role of Quaid, because he seems convincing as an every man and a secret agent. Naturally, Michael Ironside and Ronny Cox are brilliant as the villains as well. They always excel in those kind of roles, just like Sharon Stone who is an amazing femme fatale. If I were to complain about any of the stars it would be Rachel Ticotin because she doesn't quite convince me in her action sequences. Without question Total Recall is a movie that has a lot of ingredients I love, and I think it's one I should add to my collection so I can watch it again and again.
April 9, 2016
Along with very creative blueprints of technology, graphic alien designs, weapons, violence, bloody fights and Martian civilization, the elements of surprise and resistance against dystopian illusion of happiness in a rather bleak, devastating planet of death makes Total Recall a sci-fi classic.This film proves that Schwarzenegger can be more of the acting and hardly any of the science fiction as seen back in 1984's The Terminator.
½ April 3, 2016
Entertaining sci fi action-drama.

Set in the future, a man, Douglas Quaid (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger), is plagued by dreams that he is living an parallel life on Mars. (Mars has been colonised by Earth but is undergoing a civil war of sorts). Upon seeing an advert, he goes to Rekall Inc to take a virtual holiday on Mars through implanted memories in his brain. This sets off a chain of events, leading him to realise that he may have actually been on Mars before...

Clever and well thought out central plot, based on a short story by Philip K Dick, writer of books and short stories on which movies such as Blade Runner, Minority Report, A Scanner Darkly, Paycheck and The Adjustment Bureau have been based.

Direction by Paul Verhoeven is uneven. Special effects and action sequences are great and most scenes are decently directed. However, some plot developments feel a bit clumsy and contrived. Not the smoothest, most seamless direction.

With Arnold Schwarzenegger in the lead role, you know not expect too much in the acting stakes. However, despite having more dialogue than in the Terminator movies, Arnie does a reasonable job here. Hardly Brandoesque, but it'll do. Besides, he's there as an action hero and in the action scenes he does very well.

Solid performances from the main supporting cast: Sharon Stone, Rachel Ticotin, Michael Ironside, Ronny Cox. Some of the secondary supporting performances feel a bit hammy though, especially Mel Johnson Jr as Benny and Michael Champion as Helm.

Overall, good entertainment and far better than the 2012 remake.
½ March 25, 2016
Total Recall has a great, unique story, is action-packed and well-made, it is a sci-fi masterpiece.
March 24, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies because of how the story goes and the flow of the music.
March 23, 2016
Philip K. Dick's novel "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" was a masterpiece in science fiction genre, an adaptation of it was an expanse entertainer. Director Paul Verhoeven made every moment lively and exciting throughout, with a stimulation screenplay the movie gets high and high on every moment with its spark-tone of visuals and dark humor of the actors. Arnold's expressive acting style and story's mind bending lines make us not to leave it behind. Coming to the plot, it was a elegant complex story which throws out some satirical snaps out of it with leaving us to make out what was dream and what was reality.

Great movie in its genre, but it has the potential to go larger extent with its complex concept.
½ March 23, 2016
Full of crafty set pieces and witty one-liners, the quotable Total Recall benefits from Paul Verhoeven's daring direction and Arnold Schwarzenegger's highly entertaining performance.

V: 69%