Total Recall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Total Recall Reviews

November 25, 2017
Movie shows well developed plot with lots of intriguing twists that you don't expect. Great movie for its time.
½ November 5, 2017
Visually creative through the use of amazingly original blueprints of technology, graphic alien designs, weapons, violence, bloody fights and Martian civilization, the elements of surprise and resistance against dystopian illusion of happiness in a rather bleak, devastating planet of death makes this a sci-fi classic.
TOTAL RECALL is the only Schwarzenegger movie to not be directed by James Cameron that is comparable by quality to the Terminator movies thanks to the great artistic graphics and Jerry Goldsmith's genius music score.
October 7, 2017
Rarely do you get a movie that is action packed and makes you think. And this movie does it so perfectly. 10/10
September 30, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time! 10/10
September 29, 2017
This is definitely one of the greatest sci-fi/action movies ever. It's got everything from action, to comedy, to sci-fi, and more. My favorite Schwarzenegger film.

10/10
August 24, 2017
this is sci-fi cult movie now nobody can defeat this hardcore action movie with full of dead corps
½ August 21, 2017
A Scifi Classic . . .
½ August 10, 2017
Pretty good action packed movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. When I found out that this movie is a classic, I am the judge of that and it's not a classic, I'll probably most likely forget about this movie in t minus 2 days. It's your ordinary old forgettable action movie that's meh, people may praise this movie but I don't.
August 6, 2017
A unique story, with visuals ahead of its time, Totall Recall is one of Schwarzenegger's best films ever and is a quotable classic.
August 5, 2017
a classic one of the best SCI fi movies ever
August 3, 2017
LOVE THIS MOVIE! Grew up watching it with my grandparents! Was one of their favorites as well :D
July 27, 2017
"TWO WEEKS!!"
Big time mind trip movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Excellent work. Unintentionally funny at times. Still don't get the movie but I always enjoy watching this movie-great special effects.
July 18, 2017
A very good but slightly confusing storyline. The action is good but cheesy. The acting is bad but it gets the job done for this type of movie. Overall a better than average movie.
July 13, 2017
Violent, humorous, visually impressive for its time, and complex. A unique sci-fi movie even for today.
June 25, 2017
This is my second favorite movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger. The action sequences are perfect, the setting is great, the acting from the cast is awesome, and it is a very creative movie. I love and recommend it.
½ June 4, 2017
Total Recall features strong lead performances and a story that keeps you guessing the entire time while incorporating deeper themes besides bloody action the entire time.
½ June 2, 2017
arnie in his prime and great scifi action
May 28, 2017
This is way better than the 2012 remake!!!
½ May 1, 2017
Much like a lot of Arnold Schwarzenegger's films, Total Recall is action packed, boasts great special effects, and one-liners. But this time, it's handled with intelligent ideas and thought provoking themes. Luckily, most of the time everything comes together nicely.

Total Recall is based off a Phillip K. Dick short story, which is why it's no surprise this film tries to tackle a whole lot of interesting science fiction proposals. Even when the films themselves aren't always the best, I've always found Dick's ideas to be fascinating. Total Recall is about a man caught up in a mysterious sequence of events that may just alter his life on earth for good, or should I say his life on Mars. It takes place in 2084 where it's possible to take a "virtual vacation" to wherever you want. Naturally, a lot of people choose other planets, including the habitable planet of Mars. Douglas Quaid, played by Schwarzenegger, decided to take on the mission to gain his life back.

However, it becomes increasingly clear that his life that he thought he had, is no longer in reach. Being that it's an action film, Quaid is pretty much on the run the rest of the movie, and chaos inevitably ensues. Schwarzenegger is great at all the action, and handles enough of the heavy and heady material to get by. I think where this film doesn't always succeed is when it tries to bite off more than it can chew. Whether it be because of the directing, writing, or acting, Total Recall becomes swallowed in twists and turns that don't always work in the context of the film they set up.

I know there are endless amounts of theories about whether Quaid is dreaming or not. And while it's an interesting question that the film proposes, this isn't necessarily what I'm referring to. The third act is about twist after twist that feels more desperate than it does natural. Take Inception for example, that film deals with similar themes, but it does so by revealing things one by one, instead of depending on how shocked the audience can get. There's a big difference between twists and reveals.

Overall, Total Recall is definitely one of the better sci-fi's that attempts to balance a light-hearted tone with heavy themes. It just sometimes gets caught up in being too bold instead of staying bright.

+Phillip K. Dick's ideas

+Fun & thought provoking

-But sometimes those themes collapse on themselves.

7.6/10
½ April 27, 2017
Bursting with style, imagination, great action and a fantastical twisting plot, this is one great rollercoaster ride of a movie. The violence may be cartoonishly over the top and the expletives a little too frequent - but this is the perfect Arnie vehicle and a very entertaining one.