The Toxic Avenger - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Toxic Avenger Reviews

½ November 2, 2016
gross. horrible subject matter. warped '80s charm. I still hate myself for watching it.
½ October 18, 2016
Fun horror/superhero comedy that, for better or worse, became the mascot of the Troma film company. The cast is nothing to write home about, though all the actors give fun, cartoonish performances, matching the ridiculousness of the premise. Behind the camera, Lloyd Kaufman & his Troma crew craft a fun & crazy film, despite it's inconsistenet jokes (some are funny, some flat & some just plain offensive) that is equal mix horror & superhero satire. They also poke fun at the body building craze of the '80s along with everything else. Visually, the Toxic Avenger is a fun creation with some hilarious touches (the fact he speaks so articulately is brilliant) along with some impressive visual effects & even fight choreography, considering the budget. It mostly works for this film but sadly Troma stuck with this formula for all it's movies, instead of branching out into a more diverse line out (simply put, most of the Troma films since feel like a ripoff of this one). Overall, an important film in the history of independent movies, while still being a fun movie outright.
½ October 5, 2016
This may very well be the greatest worst movie of all time! There is a mutant superhero who wields a mop... What more could you ask for out of a B-Rated movie?!
½ August 20, 2016
A cult classic made by the Troma team who are famous for making very bad B movies. This certainly isn't the worst of them either. It's quite funny, and considering the budget, they did a pretty good job with the effects. I can imagine that this is the pearl of their cannon.
July 21, 2016
A weird, absurd, badly acted Troma classic, the same assholes who brought us the unholy piece of shit "Redneck Zombies" (1989), which I did not like very much. But this one ain't too bad, it's entertaining, with lots of blood, guts, boobs and sex, the classic shit of Troma. If there's one thing that's cool about this low budget flick, it's the special effects and stunts, they are pretty impressive. This film also borrows elements from espeially Frankenstein, but also reminds me of the character from Deadpool (2016). Anyways, it's one worth seeing for it's gore.
½ May 8, 2016
I'm not a big Troma admirer. Perhaps it's because I don't like films that deliberately set out to be cult films, or really it's just that they have a tendency to substitute excessiveness for quality. This film (kind of the ur-Troma film) is no exception. When it hits (the montage of Toxie frolicking with his blind girlfriend) it's pretty great, but it misses more often than it hits.
½ May 8, 2016
Someone at the El Rey Network has the brilliant idea of showing the entire Toxic Avenger quadrilogy (plus the cartoon series, which I did not watch), but I'm not sure I'd seen this film since way back when it was originally released. I've always been a sucker for Troma films, the low-budget film company run by Lloyd Kaufman and Michael Herz who specialize in crass exploitation B-grade films. Melvin Ferd is a janitor at the Tromavilla health club. He's bullied by the beautiful fit customers, but when he is exposed to toxic waster he is turned into the superhero, The Toxic Avenger. The rest of the film involves him fighting crime, getting back at the criminal health club bullies, and also finding love. Rematching this film now, Torma films still have a completely unpretentious charm, fully embracing that they are making an utterly trashy over-the-top film. However, I may have outgrown the juvenile humor that pervades most of the film, though it does still have it's moments (mostly the Toxic Avenger's dubbed smooth deep voice). Look fast for future Oscar-winner Marisa Tomei as an extra at the health club (she's startled by the Toxic Avenger as his is dishing out some justice to an evil health club member).
½ April 25, 2016
The Toxic Avenger (1984) ?? 1/2
Perfectly respectful trash about ordinary man turned monster and vigilante who does away with evildoers. Funny spoof of other schlock films is entertaining, but far too graphic. Spawned several sequels.
April 7, 2016
Toxic Avenger is propable one of the best " Cult " movies of the 80's.
It's a real laugh for the " so bad it's good " audience, wich in my mind is always great !
The bad music and crappy actors really make it even funnier, classic Troma !
February 13, 2016
Movies like this are the reason cult films are so much fun.
September 23, 2015
Should be on every movie fans list.
August 12, 2015
Surprisingly funny and full of gore. A very nice parody of the horror genre and the sci-fi genre that doesn´t get old.
July 23, 2015
For what this film is, it's brilliant, but I use that word very lightly. "The Toxic Avenger" is a disgusting romp with great practical effects (at times), and a wacky take on the anti-hero genre. I must say that I had a great time watching this film, but the on-the-nose cheese get's a little repetitive. Sometimes it feels intentional and other times it feels as though the writers thought this idea would work so well that they got cocky. After a nerd falls into a vad of toxic waste, he slowly transforms into something so gross that the town is terrified of him, although he means well. Falling in love with a blind woman, saving the town, and just having a weird feel to the movie all around, this is one of the most odd films I have ever seen. That is a compliment for this film though, as that is exactly what it was trying to be. "The Toxic Avenger" is what it is, and it is what it is in the absolute best way possible!
½ July 21, 2015
Troma's films are some of the shlockiest films you'll see, but they're crafted with care and have fun with themselves. Some of their fiilms, I admit, are too bizarre and not for everyone. The Toxic Avenger is definitely one of their better ones, and while it doesn't get any points for being a competently well made film, it does get major points for its entertainment. The film is about a nerdy janitor boy who is humiliated and gets into a toxic waste accident one day, becoming the toxic avenger who takes on corruption in Tromaville. The film is all around brutal and distasteful, but all in the upmost hilarious fashion with some real bizarre characters, gore, and silly nonsense.
July 16, 2015
So contrived, so low budget and so ridiculously over the top. Those are three reasons why I love this schlock!
July 5, 2015
B-movie cheese is there, but not all that entertaining. Didn't age very well.
May 23, 2015
This movie has disgusting imagery, violence, nudity, profanity, and everything else awful. That's why it's awesome
May 4, 2015
This is hilarious trash at it's finest
April 21, 2015
This movie is very violent and kind of eerie funny. It is not disturbing as Class of Nuke Em High, but it is bloody, awesome costumes and intense effects but a very weird plot.
April 18, 2015
A movie that does not take itself too seriously,Fun,surprise hit in the mid 80's that no one saw coming.