Vanity Fair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Vanity Fair Reviews

March 15, 2016
Entertaining, if truncated adaptation of William Thackeray's classic satirical novel. Becky Sharp, played here by Reese Witherspoon, is the likeable, if calculating heroine.
August 1, 2015
I can not stop watching this wonderfully made film. It provides a unique aspect through the lifetime of a pair of females struggling to make it in the early 19th century, what you could call the Victorian age. Without a doubt, I recommend watching this movie.
½ July 29, 2015
Putting a happy face on the lead character takes so much away from the movie.
June 11, 2015
Oh ! How could you not love that movie. The journey of the adventurous and ambitious, most called social climber, Rebecca. With a good directing, writing and performance the film has the perfect charisma. Reese Witherspoon was the real deal, she managed to get you to love her, hate her and respect her. She was absolutely wonderful. The film focuses on the affairs of many, love, ignorance and betrayal. It managed very well to show the madness for wealth, the power of love and the ugly manners of war. It's absolutely great. Those complex affairs where written very well, they just take your attention at once. What a piece of work !

On the other hand, it has many flaws. The very first one is the fast tempo, it runs so quick, If you blink you'll miss a HUGE turn up in the events, You've to stay sharp the duration of the movie which is very annoying. The second would be the plenty of BOOBS, come on it's very distracting. The pregnant Witherspoon wasn't charming at all, though they tried to hide it but it was so obvious. The focus on the journey not the emotions of its characters was so bad, they should've rethought that. In general, they misused a large amount of time which they could've used it to show the real feelings of the main character, at the end they made her a villain.

In conclusion, it's a very good movie. Catchy funny charming. BUT they could've, should've, done much much better.
½ May 5, 2015
I wish I would have been able to see the end of this movie, but from what I did see, it wasn't that great. It didn't feel much like a romance and at times became a little confusing because of all the different characters.
February 15, 2015
Held All The Promise Of A Solid Period Piece, Only To Be Let Down By A Choppy, Rough-Cut Story. The 10-year Total Period From Pre-Production, Production (18-wks) & Post-Cut Certainly Puts Europe On Show, With Some Magnificent On-Location Sets. It Is However, A Hodge-Podge End-Design That Detracts From Total Period-Piece-Finess That Has Oscar Glory Thrust Upon It.
½ July 22, 2014
a really mediocre film ... the alternate ending was the only part which brought some depth and reality to the film ... but they used a ridiculous and completely nonsensical ending which made watching the film an even bigger waste of time
July 13, 2014
Long and not very interesting
½ April 28, 2014
Directed by Mira Nair (Kama Sutra: A Story of Love (1996) and Monsoon Wedding (2001), adapted from William Makepeace Thackeray's 1848 novel by Julian Fellowes (Gosford Park (2001) and later TV's Downton Abbey). This is a sumptuous costume drama with an all star cast, and it's a period piece with an optimistic mood, but it does have a lot of colour and visual splendour to look at. Becky Sharp (Reese Witherspoon) was orphaned as a child, but spent most of her young life educated at Miss Pinkerton's Academy for Young Ladies. When she leaves as an adult, she goes to become a governess for Sir Pitt Crawley (Bob Hoskins), she becomes a liked figure in the house, but when Pitt's step-sister Miss Matilda Crawley (Eileen Atkins) comes to visit, she see's something in Becky, and invites her to London, where Becky's life changes for the better, first having a romance with Crawley's son Captain Rawdon Crawley (James Purefoy), a romance which turns a few heads with those high up the social ladder. It's got good intentions, and it's longish running time flies by painlessly, while Witherspoon does well as Becky Sharp, showing a more sympathetic version of the character than portrayed in Thackeray's book. Nair gets the best out of everyone, and despite an ever-so-slight lull in the middle, it soon picks up and is worth a look.
February 28, 2014
Much longer than necessary, but still and enjoyable film.
December 27, 2013
Witherspoon carrega todo o peso de dar credibilidade ao filme e parece ter pouco suporte sua altura.
December 9, 2013
Good film, have to admire Mrs Crawley,otherwise known as Becky Sharp. It is just a pity that sometimes those choices did not lead to the happiness she may have wanted.
December 3, 2013
I see I liked this as I rated it 4 stars, but just tried to rewatch it today and it honestly did nothing for me. I don't like period pieces in general, I can only put it down to I was going through a Reese Witherspoon phase. That might have cooled a bit since her drunken antics, although there are still movies I love her in. This apparently isn't one of them. Will keep original rating as it was valid at the time, and to be fair I switched this off 20 minutes in and can't remember a lot about it, maybe it improves.
Oh, and Reese staring in this while pregnant was a real dud move. They have filmed and dressed her to hide it, but it's still pretty obvious.
November 8, 2013
A good film, I saw it many years ago, picked it up again today. But correct me if I'm wrong: Didn't Lord Tennyson write "Now Sleeps the Crimson Petal" in 1847. But sang in the film by the character Rebecca Sharp around 1827?
November 3, 2013
She's ruthless, and I like it. A certain dance and the beautiful setting make it worth seeing...
½ September 29, 2013
Despite a decent cast, Vanity Fair proved to be fairly forgettable among the packed crowd of period British romantic melodramas. The acting isn't bad - Reece Witherspoon fills the role of Becky Sharp admirably. But the plot meanders as Becky's plays her social climbing like a game of Chutes & Ladders. Characters come & go and sometimes come again. Most of the time, you wonder what their point in the story was, other than to serve as fodder. If you're big on the old aristocratic games of strategizing nobility match-ups, this movie's for you. Otherwise, it's not that terribly exciting or entertaining.
September 1, 2013
It is a choppy movie, over the top, and not much to the plot.
June 11, 2013
Oh, dear. Now, I suppose I'll have to finish the book.
½ May 13, 2013
Period pieces. Love them or hate them, they'll always be classic, they'll always be here, and they're not for everybody. "Vanity Fair" is odd because, while it's a bit more modern than most, it still manages to ring with familiarity. It's well-made, and has terrific acting, I'll give it that-- but "Vanity Fair" struggles mostly because it's tough to really love. After all, "Pride and Prejudice" is much more famous. Becky Sharp (Reese Witherspoon) comes from the tragic past of a poor family, but as she grows up, she is determined to throw her background behind her and climb the social ladder, all the way to the top. She's a mountaineer, a character quips. Becky starts with humble beginnings, winning a job as a governess for the aristocratic Crawley family. She charms everyone, and catches the eye of the handsome son, Rawden (James Purefoy), and they secretly get married. But Becky's dreams of being at the top of the social pyramid begins to wane quickly. "Vanity Fair" has the visual feel of the sumptuous "Girl with a Pearl Earring", but it's a little more light and flavorful in tone. The mood of the lighting shifts along with the weather and contrasts with the emotion of each scene. It's so beautiful to look at, that's we're instantly reminded why period pieces are still popular. The thing that sticks out in "Vanity Fair" though, is its characters. You know when you watch other films in the same vein and mean characters slip in and out of scenes like snakes but manage to steal them anyway? The film revolves around those secondary characters, and thanks to this aspect as well vas the visual style, it makes the flaws just a little bit prettier. And you still can't help but watch with utter fascination as these characters eloquently insult and deceive one-another. It's one thing to have a film filled with, let's say, not nice people, but when they can get away with it and still look good, it's rather impressive. But the luminosity of everything is just surface level. "Vanity Fair" is overlong, and is so full of characters (though many are great fun to watch) that it's hard to keep track of their purpose to keep the plot moving. The story never totally connects together, and while the art presented here is certainly delectable, it instantly gives the film the label as a style over substance film. You can tell especially that when Becky is social climber and the film's only reason why she does it is because she was poor. While much of everything here is flawed, Witherspoon's performance is very good and by no means is she badly cast here. Mira Nair does an excellent job of creating the world of "Vanity Fair", but she fails to make a thoroughly entertaining film. Movies are a world in which it's important to feel involved, but it never occurs here. We can sit here and look at all of the gorgeous color and atmosphere, but the film's too long for that. The ending of the film is explosive, but everything moves around with not much energy. "Vanity Fair" is a beautifully made adaptation, but not too much more. There's so much going on at once that it bogs the film down much more than it truly deserves.
½ April 18, 2013
Almost as dull as it sounds