Zabriskie Point - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Zabriskie Point Reviews

October 12, 2017
Never mind the low-key performances and so-so script, the real star here is the eye-popping use of the pre-revision Panavision widescreen process; that and the great Pink Floyd/Grateful Dead (along with a host of others) score.
½ September 26, 2017
Zabriskie Point is a decent film. It is about the chronicling of the counterculture of America. Mark Frechette and Daria Halprin give okay performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Michelangelo Antonioni did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and romance.
September 17, 2017
a guy steals an airplane and uses it to pick up a chick in the desert. they make love and paint the plane and he flys it back and gets arrested. then she goes back home and blows up her parents house. a weird dreamlike movie
½ September 15, 2017
In structure alone, Antonioni breaks convention by starting the film focused on Mark, introducing Daria later, and ending the film focused on her.

A film of orgies - one violent between police and picketers, another psychosexual in a desert, and a final meditative summation of all the existential points Antonioni is making i with this film. This incredibly explosive montage, set to Pink Floyd's Careful With That Axe Eugene
½ June 25, 2017
Watching it now on TCM. Airplane theft was funny but the wanders almost aimlessly with no purpose for some or most of the time. It's sort of like I had made a movie about a couple of days of my life and somehow was a depressed person in the 60's. No joy. How did they talk all the well known actors to be in this movie? Movie has about 30 minutes left now, will finish review when it ends.Waited for Mark the airplane gets to be shot by police. No drama, no blood and no bullet holes in airplane. What? House blows up at end for some reason. Though I have to say that a lot of movies of that era seem to have a minimalist of emotions and I don't know why that was. ??... I did not like this movie. Maybe someone will have to explain how they spent $7M.
½ April 24, 2017
Half of the film is excess fat, the other is brilliant Antonioni. The final sequence, as well noted, is brilliant. It's a competently produced criticism of modern America but lacking depth. The acting is very low-key.
January 7, 2017
Clearly not for everybody, but still a beautifull portrait of the young love in an incredible location as it is the Death Valley. Great music by Jerry García and Pink Floyd among others.
November 23, 2016
Like many of Antonioni's movies it involves many of his signature long shots, as it eventually places two young teens together during a college protest in which they do the most boding while hanging around a monumental area called "Zabriskie Point" hence the title.
½ June 19, 2016
A bitter realization of how dangerous can be stepping outside society's constraints.
½ May 22, 2016
I understand that this movie is existential and artistic, with social commentary here and there, but there are many long parts and it leads nowhere.
March 7, 2016
Yes I found it superior to Blow-up ... excellent cinematography, music and direction !!! And how could one forget the Desert orgy and the blow-up at the end :)
December 9, 2015
Although I enjoyed the cinematography and the psychedelic/progressive rock soundtrack featuring the likes of Pink Floyd, I disliked the rest of this movie. I found the characters uninteresting, the story boring (even the student protests story which I struggled to care about) and the dialogue terrible. I can't believe we're supposed to care for Mark and Daria (Our two main characters who meet each other nearly an hour into the picture) who are apparently "in love" with each other despite literally knowing each other for five minutes. It felt so unbelievable and forced. We get to watch them prance around rocks, talk about nothing and have a massive orgy with a number of extras all of which is boring as hell. I could not wait to get to the end of this movie and was so relieved when I did. It is a shame because I wanted to like it as I've heard the director Michelangelo Antonioni is a talented director. I may however check out some of his movies in the future and give him a second chance.
½ November 15, 2015
Zabriskie Point is one of the emptiest, most indulgent movies I've ever seen. It has no insight into America or its youth or the political climate of the 70s, as suggested by its hollows characters, unrealistic dialogue, and an Italian director who seems to be in foreign territory.
October 29, 2015
A wonderful tribute to the spirit of the sixties. The anger, the confusion, and the rebellion. It's an attack on American consumerism and a celebration of hippie values. Zabriskie Point turns into a refuge for young people to escape what they knew as an oppressive American society. Instead of revolting against "the man", they decide to escape and make love. But when it all goes south, the film ends with a massive explosion of a cheap resort on the edge of the valley, that flings consumer goods flying toward the camera, with the roaring sounds of Pink Floyd playing the background. It's an epic finish. Sums up perfectly the anger of the times.
jjnxn
½ March 30, 2015
Incredibly dull and pointless. VERY much a product of its time.
½ February 22, 2015
Pulse of America. Change. Liberal. Revolt. Relevation of the senses. A perfect example of American inner enemy; solution? Kill it.
December 10, 2014
I took this film as Antonioni flipping off America, which I'm fine with.

Yes, the film is beautiful to look at, great cinematography. The acting is bad, but I think that is on purpose. I don't think Antonioni wanted good actors to give a real feel, I think he wanted bad actors to display the US as a country full of fake people (which it is). And the ending, the blowing up of capitalism is great, and the orgy in the desert, I feel was commenting that the idea of free love is a waste of activity, it wasn't fertile, nothing could grow from it.

The film is not bad at all, the "bad" parts are just as much commentary on the subject as any of the good parts.

The film is more art than a straight film and more an op-ed than a narrative.

In an interview with Roger Ebert, Antonioni mentioned the 68 protests, and while he highlights a similar thing, his protagonist is only looking for the action of a protest, not the point behind it. Like Mark says later, he wants the risk, he's like an adrenaline junkie. He was a rich kid that got bored (that is hinted at in the long ride to the school when he runs the red light in Beverly Hills), he's not interested in change, he's just a dumb kid.

I've read various pieces and opinions on the film and when people say the film is vapid, they aren't right, but neither are they wrong, the main characters are vapid, he more so than she, and that is what Antonioni was going for.

In the end, I think that those feeling the film was a waste of time, kinda got the point, because I think that Antonioni found the US to be a waste of time. I saw an intelligent filmmaker making decisions based on what he thought of America, not a filmmaker out to create the greatest film ever.
November 27, 2014
even that explosive ending (see what I did there? hint hint nudge nudge) couldn't save this dreary, listless film about hippies starting the revolution. Antonioni simply is not the director for me.
½ June 18, 2014
Even though it was a big flop and the critics didn't like it, at the time, this movie is pretty sweet.