The Shield: Season 1 Reviews

• Jun 12, 2019

I was excited to finally give this show a watch, but I'm underwhelmed by the quality of its writing and its insanely high scores from the audience and critics. It's a grittier version of the Rockford Files or Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue, but the writing is SO heavy handed and some of the performances are just awful. The tone is all over the place from melodrama to overwrought preaching to dark humor to simple farce. They tried to pack too much into this show, and I honestly don't think they could decide what they were trying to be except different. The execution of what is a perfectly fine concept is just sloppy and inconsistent. Some good, sure, but nowhere near the top of peak TV of the last 20 years. It's simply trying way too hard and the humanity of its characters gets lost. There is no one to care about because they are all drawn so thin. At times it feels like an SNL skit about a gritty cop TV show.

• Jun 11, 2018

Gripping immorality.

Gripping immorality.

• Jun 04, 2017

Still one of the best TV crimes dramas there has been. So gritty, so entertaining. Vic Mackey is such a great character. Maybe went a bit crazy in the last couple of seasons but still a brilliant show.

• Jul 12, 2016

Michael Chiklis, Walton Goggins, and unique cinematography for this genre of TV. But after an absolutely phenomenal first episode, it stops being as good, and it honestly kind of waters down or diminishes what happened in the pilot.