Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Reviews

March 21, 2017
The one thing to call this film is a missed opportunity. This movie could have been wonderful. The source material is such an engaging read. But the film just turns out to be okay. I love Percy Jackson & the Olympians. It's my favorite book series. I saw this movie before reading the book. After I read the book, I liked the film a bit less than before. Source material is usually better than it's adapted counterparts, but this film fails at being faithful, right down to having the characters older. How is the coming of age element going to work if Percy's the age he's supposed to be by the end of the series? The film portrays Annabeth very differently from the novel. She seems more like a daughter of Ares than Athena. The plot and characters are also very simplified, as if the film is more childish than the book. How did Chris Columbus mess this up? Everything you need alright exists. All you have to do transfer it to film. Don't get me wrong. I know adaptations aren't always easy as some things have to be taken out but come on. Why couldn't Peter Jackson direct this? Okay, what's good about the film? The effects are decent, the acting is alright, and the film is a lot of fun. To sum it up, the film is okay as a stand alone movie, but bad as an adaptation. It's a missed opportunity for what could have been the first installment of an outstanding film series. The Lightning Thief is loads of fun, and I do enjoy watching it every now and then, but it could've been so much better.
February 27, 2017
A poor Harry Potter ripoff.
½ February 15, 2017
A strait up stupid screenwriting and bad dialogue and acting.
½ February 14, 2017
Absolutely terrible! They movies aye way of from the books in sorry, but it was a complete waste of money, though it was sort of ok
February 6, 2017
I'm VERY worried this adaptation will suck. I've heard it's VERY unlike the book. I'll wait to rent the DVD.
½ February 4, 2017
As a fan of the books, this movie is horrendously bad. From the crappy CGI to the fact that it forgot the source material, PErcy Jackson also suffers from not knowing it's target Audiance.
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 27, 2017
After directing the first two Harry Potter films Chris Columbus thought that moving on to this uninspired young adult shenanigans was a good idea?
January 26, 2017
Un adolescente descubre que es hijo del Dios, Neptuno. A partir de ese momento, empezará a vivir aventuras emocionantes con otros chicos hijos de otras deidades y seres mitolňgicos. En esta ocasión Percy Jackson (Logan Lerman) deberán recuperar el rayo de Zeuz y devolvérselo antes que caiga en malas manos y se desaten terribles consecuencias
January 21, 2017
THIS MOVIE IS GREAT IT ALSO IS VERY CLOSE TO FOLLOWING THE BOOKS
January 14, 2017
As a fan of the books I did not like this movie and hated it.
December 13, 2016
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief stars a talented cast with this film helping make Logan Lerman famous in the role of the title character, boasts some amazing visual effects and action and director Chris Columbus saves the film from being a complete disaster but the film sadly not only has a few similarities with Harry Potter other than Camp Half-Blood being Hogwarts for demigods but also lacks faithfulness to its captivating source material with our three heroes being older than their book counterparts, age not playing a crucial role and a forced happy ending rather than the cliffhanger endings one would come to expect from a Rick Riordan book. I was able to look past some of its differences such as a brunette Annabeth even though the books describe her as blonde, no Oracle and Percy having presumably never been expelled but compared to the novels it doesn't quite fulfill expectations.
December 9, 2016
2016-12-09 better than expected
November 25, 2016
11/24/2016: A decent film with a likeable cast.
½ October 31, 2016
Literally the worst movie ever made, not sure the director knew he was basing it off the book
October 26, 2016
Like it was made by the WB.
½ October 22, 2016
it was a really good movie
October 3, 2016
I remember when I first saw this movie come out, i was incredibly exited! I've read all the books, and this movie was a terrible let down. Advice to all Percy Jackson lovers: Do NOT watch this movie, unless you feel like murdering a director.
½ September 29, 2016
Why lie? I did not like this movie. It did not do justice to the amazing book. The plot was messed up, and the acting was just ok. I was so excited when this came out because I had read (and loved) the book. I was completely dissapointed. This could have been great if the movie was more like the book. In the book, the main characters were twelve, not seventeen, Percy and Annabelth were just friends, and I was super upset when they portrayed Annabeths character completely wrong. In the movie, she acts more like a daughter of ares than a daughter of Athena. Plus, daughters of Athena have blond hair and gray eyes, and when I first saw her in the movie, I legit thought she was clarisse. Plus, Chiron is old in the book. I was so upset because this is one of my favorite books, but ended up one of my least favorite movies. However, my sister has not read the book and she thought it was a great movie. I guess for those people who watched the movie without reading the book and liked it just didn't know what they were missing.
September 29, 2016
I love this movie, his history is very fine, and also the characters. And if you like the Grecian's Mitology, you'll like the movie.

The bad of this movie, is that in some parts it becomes boring.