Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief Reviews

October 3, 2016
I remember when I first saw this movie come out, i was incredibly exited! I've read all the books, and this movie was a terrible let down. Advice to all Percy Jackson lovers: Do NOT watch this movie, unless you feel like murdering a director.
½ September 29, 2016
Why lie? I did not like this movie. It did not do justice to the amazing book. The plot was messed up, and the acting was just ok. I was so excited when this came out because I had read (and loved) the book. I was completely dissapointed. This could have been great if the movie was more like the book. In the book, the main characters were twelve, not seventeen, Percy and Annabelth were just friends, and I was super upset when they portrayed Annabeths character completely wrong. In the movie, she acts more like a daughter of ares than a daughter of Athena. Plus, daughters of Athena have blond hair and gray eyes, and when I first saw her in the movie, I legit thought she was clarisse. Plus, Chiron is old in the book. I was so upset because this is one of my favorite books, but ended up one of my least favorite movies. However, my sister has not read the book and she thought it was a great movie. I guess for those people who watched the movie without reading the book and liked it just didn't know what they were missing.
September 29, 2016
I love this movie, his history is very fine, and also the characters. And if you like the Grecian's Mitology, you'll like the movie.

The bad of this movie, is that in some parts it becomes boring.
September 28, 2016
Fuck this piece of shit that shat all over the Greece myth's~
½ September 10, 2016
Repug. No justice to the books.
August 26, 2016
The one thing to call this film is a missed opportunity. This movie could have been wonderful. The source material is such an engaging read. But the film just turns out to be okay. I love Percy Jackson & the Olympians. It's my favorite book series. I saw this movie before reading the book. After I read the book, I liked the film a bit less than before. Source material is usually better than it's adapted counterparts, but this film fails at being faithful, right down to having the characters older. How is the coming of age element going to work if Percy's the age he's supposed to be by the end of the series? The film portrays Annabeth very differently from the novel. She seems more like a daughter of Ares than Athena. The plot and characters are also very simplified, as if the film is more childish than the book. How did Chris Columbus mess this up? Everything you need alright exists. All you have to do transfer it to film. Don't get me wrong. I know adaptations aren't always easy as some things have to be taken out but come on. Why couldn't Peter Jackson direct this? Okay, what's good about the film? The effects are decent, the acting is alright, and the film is a lot of fun. To sum it up, the film is okay as a stand alone movie, but bad as an adaptation. It's a missed opportunity for what could have been the first installment of an outstanding film series. The Lightning Thief is loads of fun, and I do enjoy watching it every now and then, but it could've been so much better.
August 26, 2016
I just read Percy Jackson and the Olympians and decided why not watch the movies. The movie was not at all like the first book. The story was twisted and contorted into a mess a lot of characters were missing eg. Clarrise. In the first book Percy was 12 Years of age in this about 16 or 17. If I watched this under a different title I'd probably believe it was another series.
½ August 22, 2016
65% - Percy Jackson & The Olympians : The Lightning Thief is a decent fantasy film which is not boring at all. But it rejects and shows no faithfulness towards its great source material which could have helped this film be better than what it is now.
August 14, 2016
The Lightning theif is a stupid idea to make, There's not a single good act into any of the actors and the lady who plays medusa is the worst actress ever in the entire world.
Dylan O Brien can do better acting than Logan Lerman.

Score: 3.5/10
½ August 9, 2016
Percy jackson is one of the best and most imaginative fantasy series in the last decade, but this film is one the most mediocre and forgetable, not that I'm saying it's bad, but it's not good either. Despite it having an informal style of writing the books are actually very mature and the social and political themes woven into them make them refreshingly different to the likes of harry potter. That's why having a harry potter director probably wasn't the best call as all these themes are lost in toned down to create a digestible pulp film with very little to remember it by aside from some strong performances that definately would have benifitted from a little more weight curtesy of storyboarding. My opinion as a fan of the books us similar to a lover of films, I'm not disappointed but then again I'm not exactly impressed.
July 8, 2016
I think it's one of those movies that were underestimated by critics but praised more by fans.
July 8, 2016
Not as adult friendly as Harry Potter but the CGI is absolutely amazing. It's geared more toward kids without a complicated plot line and adults just need to be ok with that. My daughter loves it and it's much more tolerable than most kids movies out there.
July 6, 2016
Blatant Harry Potter-style knockoff.
June 29, 2016
This is failed attempt movie that's based on a amazing book trilogy here's a tip Read the book if they ever remake the movie and the sequel here's a tip read the BOOK series and follow what does the book says and have the author be part of it
June 22, 2016
Awesome! I always love anything with the God anyhow.
½ June 22, 2016
Percy Jackson & The Olympians:The Lightning Thief has a plot of unique characters and unlike any premise combining clash of the titans and harry potter in a film filled with action and comedy though it fails to show interaction between its characters and doesn't show enough backstory for people who didn't read the books (not me)
June 9, 2016
I remember the book was very similar to Harry Potter but I don't think that's the case anymore after all these years and finally saw this movie. There were some parallels but the story is pretty solid by a children's movie. It was just weird for me seeing Greek gods and goddesses and accepting the whole concept of being a demigod. At the same time the Greek myths and references captured my attention during the movie. I think I liked the reference to Medusa the best.
½ June 9, 2016
Changed the book story completely.
½ June 3, 2016
I love the books and the movie looks amazing. I'm so excited!
May 28, 2016
Fast-paced, and entertaining to watch, you shouldn't expect more or less, as this is a movie which blends Greek mythology and humans together.