My Best Friend's Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Best Friend's Girl Reviews

July 21, 2016
My Best Friend's Girl is one of those types of movies that really 'goes for it'. It GOES for the corny humor. It GOES for the vulgar humor. It GOES for some harsh-truth humor. For better or for worse; it completely nails it start to finish. Now, the plot is where this movie ultimately suffers - and the ending is so painful that luckily the content before it is good enough.

If anything, the two 'countdown' sequences (you'll know it when you see it) make this worth the watch.
½ June 28, 2016
The funny part is that this film perpetuates that Dane Cook was likable in the first place.
½ May 16, 2016
I loved the movie (other than all scenes with Alec Baldwin, which were just too lame). I thought it was hilarious. I watched an unrated version on DVD. I had to watch the beginning twice because it was so funny. Dane Cook is great in it and so is Kate Hudson. Ok, the very last scene in the restaurant was unfunny and lame too, but the rest of the movie was a solid 5, so I just forgot all the bad/unfunny parts. It's a great movie to watch when you want to relax and have a good laugh. I just can't believe some people gave it a one star...
April 11, 2016
Just so amazingly funny, i loved it!
March 22, 2016
When being a dick head is logical. In love and war, that notion would mean that terrorists attacked us because they thought they were unworthy of us.
½ January 5, 2016
`terrible movies not the way you want the plot to go at all
½ December 17, 2015
I wasn't exepting it to be this fucking terrible, it hasn't got one redeeming quilty here because it isn't funny and every character is an unlikeable arsehole which made it feel like it dragged really badly. Nothing to recommend.
September 21, 2015
Ugh, what a waste of a talented cast in this really unfunny comedy! F
August 11, 2015
Ohh Dane. You never disappoint me pal!
August 10, 2015
This movie is die hard hilarious. excelent romance, comedy and edginess. However its not for the easily offended. Easily in my top 10 favorites
June 11, 2015
I didn't expect this to be a quality film, it met my expectations.
May 28, 2015
Very funny and moves along quickly. Why isn't Dane Cook in more movies?
March 4, 2015
A little too crude for my taste.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A comedy romance movie with Dane Cook which have made quite a few of those. Along with Kate Hudson and Alec Baldwin to name some of the more famous ones. Actually this is just "another" movie in its genre and there are 1000 similar movies out there but you never get bored of them. I still enjoy many of them and this flick had its moments , decent story and some good scenes.
½ December 20, 2014
I hate Dane cook but this movie was pretty funny. had some stupid stuff too. watched edited tv version so may have missed some stuff :-\ (1 view)
December 2, 2014
Kate Hudson is hooooooot. also dane cook is occasionally hilarious....Jason biggs not so much.
November 29, 2014
If you fall asleep on the couch and this happens to be on when you wake up, find the remote and turn it off. It is not funny, just awful.
½ September 7, 2014
Tank (Dane Cook): You can stop trying to be clever Alexis because the funniest thing that will ever come out of you is me.

Sometimes I don't know why I intentionally subject myself to this kind of torture; I mean, with at least a million wonderful movies out there, I still find myself watching crap, and this was indeed crap. I guess, one has to occasionally watch an awful movie to appreciate the good ones out there, right? I don't know. I do like Kate Hudson and Jason Biggs was alright, even Alec Baldwin was kind of funny, but Dane Cook was just... erm, Dane Cook. He was neither good nor truly awful, but I can't help feeling that a better actor could have played his part and make the film really click. The whole premise of the film was kind of interesting but the conclusion was lame....but then, ************SPOILERS***************again they were both jerks (Hudson and Cook's characters), so in a way, I suppose they did deserve each other.
August 15, 2014
I know this is a backhanded compliment, but "My Best Friend's Girl" isn't nearly as terrible as it ought to be. Despite its faults you have to admit that the film does have some laughs and plays to lead Dane Cook's strengths. Cook plays Sherman 'Tank' Turner. Through bizarre circumstances, he has a side job that consists of dating women on the rebound and being so offensive, so obnoxious and so unpleasant that they run screaming back to their ex boyfriends. Boyfriends pay him to take their exes out on the worst dates of their lives so that they'll forget all about their faults or periods of infidelity. Tank shares his apartment with his buddy Dusty (Jason Biggs). Dusty has been trying to get his work colleague Alexis (Kate Hudson) to fall for him, but nothing is working. Dusty thought he was making some progress but now she wants to just be friends and says that she needs to date other guys. That's when Dusty decides that his only solution to get the "girl of his dreams" is to trick her into coming back to him by having her date Tank. After the two meet and set up a date, Alexis is convinced by her roommate Ami (Kuzzy Caplan) to get totally drunk so she can sleep with Tank without caring and get this desire to see other men out of her system. Things don't go as planned however. Tank and Alexis soon fall for each other. What's Tank going to do, after all, Alexis is his best friend's girl!

If you're a fan of Dane Cook's humour, there's plenty of it here, sometimes too much. When Tank is going on his bad dates, he's rude and vulgar to the extreme. The highlights of the dates play out like his comedy routines, the kind of horror stories that make for some funny material when contrasted with real-world stories. Maybe that's the problem with the movie. There's nothing to counterbalance the crude (I'd even say mean-spirited) humour. Jason Bigg's character is a bumbling moron that's totally unlikeable because he's a total loser. Not only is he delusional about his relationship with Alexis but he resorts to trickery in order to get her to like him. When he's trying to be the "best friend" so that she'll fall for him, he acts too nicely. No one would fall for the obvious ploy that he's setting up and he reminds you of being in high school where you thought that being a pushover and a doormat for every cute girl that smiled at you would get you a date. It's the classic example of a guy who thinks that if you put enough friendship tokens in the slot machine that is the woman that clearly isn't interested in you romantically sex will eventually come out. There's no heart to the movie, just cartoonish antics by Tank on his dates and a bunch of characters you can't like, no matter how hard you try. We're told that "Tanking is a subtle art. You can't go in there like a dragon with a hemorrhoid". So what does he do on his first date with Alexis? He plays loud sexist music in his car and then brings her to the strip club. Is that the subtlety he was referring to? When women go out with Tank, the dates are so awful that no one would be able to handle him or the situation for five minutes, so you disconnect from reality immediately because they don't realize that there's an ulterior motive to them. When they go back to their exes, you dismiss them as total bimbos so the sheer premise of the movie begins to fall apart as soon as you start thinking about it.

In my opinion, the movie gets even worse when it begins to get close to the last third of the movie and we're given forced sentimentality in order to get a happy ending for all of these characters. We're told that Tank is a closet romantic, that his feelings for Alexis are genuine and that they have a lot in common. If he isn't a genuine misogynist that uses women for sex and then tosses them away like apple cores, why does he treat women so poorly when someone pays him? Combine that with his rude behavior at work and it becomes obvious that he isn't a nice guy, he's a jerk. The movie just tells you he's a closet romantic so you can forgive his past behavior and smile when he and Alexis get together (which they shouldn't by the way because there is no one in the world that could forgive his behavior towards the end of the movie). Same thing goes for Dusty's character. He's increasingly creepy throughout the movie, but he never really realizes what he's been doing, he just gets a quick moment of clarity towards the end and we move on towards his happy ending, which comes out of nowhere!

Despite all of my criticisms, I have to reiterate that "My Best Friend's Girl" isn't the worst. There were moments were the bad dates he went on were just so outlandishly bad that I did laugh, and Alex Baldwin also has a funny cameo in the film. It isn't even the worst movie that Dane Cook has been in and while I wouldn't say it's good, or even recommend it, because of the complete lack of heart in a romantic comedy, it's watchable, even funny at times. (Uncut version on Dvd, October 18, 2013)