The Rocker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rocker Reviews

October 12, 2016
Despite the bad review it was a funny movie
September 18, 2016
Sympathique, en raison de Rainn Wilson
June 27, 2016
The opening credits are reminiscent of an 80s rock show.  Incidentally this is where the movie opens in 1986 at a club show of the band Vesuvius.   Will Arnett is nigh unrecognizable as the band's blonde front man.  Their show is full of theatrics and ridiculous facial expressions.  Backstage after the show their manager tells them they are gonna be signed.  There's only one catch.  They have to ditch their drummer Fish (Rainn Wilson) because the head of the label wants his nephew in the band.  After much deliberation the band lets Fish go.  Cut to present day where Fish (still sporting the long hair) manages to lose his job and his girlfriend in one day on account of Vesuvius.  While staying with his sister Fish is given a second chance when his nephew's band's drummer gets suspended and can't play the prom.  Fish swoops in costumed up and saves the day until he picks up the tempo of "In Your Eyes."  Fish is only allowed back in the band if he can get them a gig.  Then the shenanigans ensue.  A lot of the comedy is visual from slapstick to Fish's get ups.  I thoroughly enjoyed this flick.  There were many of laughs to be had and it's good to know Wilson can step way out of Dwight.  The kids in A.D.D. are great actors and the kid who plays Curtis is a great singer.  See this movie.
February 4, 2016
Rainn Wilson gave it his all, but I was disappointed that his character went from a gritty, sleazy rock band to this melodramatic pop rock group. Teddy Geiger was such a wimp-ass little bitch in this movie
½ August 10, 2015
Great fun movie, it was just a comedy joy ride, good fun movie 3.5/5
½ July 27, 2015
I believe this was Rainn Wilson's first leading role in his own movie, the first time a movie revolved around his character. Unfortunately the movie isn't exactly an original concept, some might say it kinda rips-off the 2003 movie 'School of Rock' to a degree, maybe even touching on the Brit flick 'Still Crazy' here and there.

The plot centres around the fictional drummer Robert Fishman (Wilson) of the heavy metal rock band Vesuvius. Back in the 80's this band are on the verge of hitting the big time with their heavy metal/glam rock songs and outrageous onstage antics. Alas the record company that wants to sign them sets an ultimatum, they must drop their drummer Fishman...and replace him with the record companies nephew. Eventually the band agree and Fishman is out. We follow Fishman years down the line, his life has crumbled, he loses his job, his girlfriend and he is forced to move in with his sister. But it is here, with his sisters family, he finds a lifeline in his nephews high school rock band.

So yes, it is very much like 'School of Rock', the main difference of course being this is based around teenagers instead of young kids. Does that make the film any better? well sort of I guess, its not exactly a riveting tale of originality as said. Bottom line the film survives purely because of Wilson and his goofiness along with his non-Hollywood looks. This is Rainn's appeal, the guy is not good looking, he is not fit or ripped in any way and he's not a ladies man type. This guy is just a regular looking bloke, the kind of guy you would actually find serving you in a retail park electronics store. Its this that makes Wilson likable as the everyman up against it, he uses his, dare I say, pug-ugly looks and out of shape physique to great effect. Indeed in this film we see his flabby toneless torso quite often, and its admittedly amusing, it works (I especially liked the brief moment at the start where he hurls his sweat soaked vest into the crowd, and it slaps some poor fan across the face).

The rest of the cast are made up of stereotypical teens that fit the stereotypical mould. You have the good looking male lead singer that has all the girls swooning over him, yet he's somehow not fulfilled. The fat, curly haired, awkward kid who doesn't really fit in, but towards the end totally gets into it and snatches a hot girl way out of his league. And finally you have Emma Stone who obviously plays the cute female band member who secretly has the hots for the good looking male lead singer (guess what happens in the end). The supposedly funny bit is the fact they hire Fishman as their drummer, a man in his forties who thinks he's still a young rocker and likes to live the dream, real life responsibilities aside. Oh and their manager is a creepy untrustworthy again, not much originality.

Much of the bands tomfoolery is played out through Wilson's Fishman character and it is slightly amusing as said, but it grows old very quickly. The whole aspect of his life going through a downhill spiral of rejection after losing Vesuvius is completely predictable and dull frankly. The sequences where he goes all wild and crazy in true rock n roll fashion are also slightly amusing but again so obvious, you just know at some point he'll trash a hotel room. The romance angle between Stone and the good looking lead singer is hammy as hell as is Josh Gad's fat kid character...hell its all cliched to the max.

This is the films problem, there is nothing here you haven't really seen before, every plot angle, every character development, the predictable face to face reunion with Vesuvius and their ultimate downfall in the concert finale etc...Its not exactly terrible stuff, its just completely average and actually kinda boring. THE only reason to watch this movie is for the sporadic moments of lunacy from Wilson, as in his other movie 'Super', he does show he can actually act and deliver emotion well. Other than that its a total by the numbers comedy. Heck even the films promotion efforts were similar to that Jack Black comedy I mentioned earlier. The main difference being that movie actually felt more like a homage to rock despite being a kids flick, you just don't get that with this movie.
July 14, 2015
A decent-enough vehicle for Rainn Wilson to flex his comedic skills which has a few chuckle-worthy moments but all in all doesn't add up to more than mediocrity. This role was in no way flattering for Wilson who spends nearly the entire movie sweaty and shirtless but his commitment to the role is admirable. The shining point of this film is the original music the band writes and while it may not be ground-breaking material, at least it's trying. Rainn does okay faking the drum performance but what he's playing really isn't very hard, so you'd think he could've taken some beginner lessons and been able to pull it off. The funniest and most quotable character is actually Jason Sudeikis as their tour manager who spits out gold every time he opens his mouth! The supporting cast is full of familiar faces like Emma Stone, Josh Gad, Bradley Cooper, Christina Applegate, Will Arnett, etc and they all do fine work. Overall it's a fun comedy for fans of music, but don't expect it to change the world of comedy.
April 22, 2015
I had a fantastic time watching this movie, I really don't understand all the distaste for it. I guess you need to live a kind of 'rock n roll' lifestyle (which I do) to really understand it. Tons of classic rock jokes and references, even a cameo from Pete Best! Also, who knew Dwight Schrute was such a sick drummer. It's not the most original movie ever written, but it's fun, innocent, and funny. The music ain't bad either. Definitely gets more flak than it deserves (:
½ March 5, 2015
It's not perfect. But I liked it a lot. Rain Wilson was really well cast for his role, but I didn't agree with a few other casting choices. Running time was a little long, but it is definitely worth a watch for fans of School of Rock.
February 7, 2015
Looking at the cast list, you'd think this is a can't-fail flick. But... Yeah. "Life finds a way." The acting is fine, but the film is so sloppily edited that I can't actually tell if part of the blame should go to the writer as well. The parts are all there but the film just never quite gels the way it should. We know this because the story is so predictable that we hear all the missed notes. It's watchable if you like the cast; otherwise just skip it.
January 2, 2015
A comedy movie much the same as School of Rock and the main role actor Rainn Wilson acts a bit like Jack Black time to time. Ther are some good funny scenes and nice rock music aswell so its definitely worth seeing.
December 18, 2014
I was about to mark this "not interested" but then I saw that Demetri Martin is in it and that changes things.
October 14, 2014
Better then expected
½ August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
½ July 30, 2014
Give Rain Wilson a good script and he'd be awesome. He's not awful here, but the songs are cringeworthy and the band's frontman is just horrid. There's a couple of laughs to be had, but it's just another lame American comedy too straight to be gross out and too stupid to be heartwarming.
July 17, 2014
Just enough plot and humour to make this a film worth seeing again. While the songs written are mediocre while listening to on a music player, they are well-presented in the film. The only really negative element is the love relationship between Curtis and Amelia that remains nonexistent throughout the entire film and pops out of nowhere at the end.
½ June 9, 2014
A bit of a rip off of School of Rock, but fairly good. It's the movie that introduced me to Emma Stone. :)
May 30, 2014
Like a condom, "The Rocker" provides plenty of enjoyment with a sticky climax.
May 29, 2014
I liked Rainn Wilson as Dwight in the American version of the office. This... well, it's not too bad. Two stars
½ April 26, 2014
Funny movie that most people haven't seen.