The Box - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Box Reviews

March 21, 2018
An interesting premise ruined by a silly sci-fi subplot.
March 14, 2018
I wanted so badly for this film to be good... Sadly it wasn't. It is directed with a heavy-hand by Kelly, featuring an over-the-top performance by Diaz. What a great premise this movie has! Too bad the film isn't on par with that.
January 22, 2018
I only giving this movie 1 1/2 stars because of the actors, other than that I just didn't get this movie. OK premise at the start of the movie, but it felt like I was watching an episode of X-files. The only thing I learned is never except an unknown package from anyone. Skip this one, don't waste your time.
October 30, 2017
A good movie by Richard Kelly, a Twilight Zone version from the 50's
½ October 1, 2017
Good film with good plot and cast. A bit confusing though
½ October 1, 2017
I thought I was the only who didn't like this movie!
½ September 10, 2017
This movie started out good, but quickly went downhill.
½ September 7, 2017
What a complete and utter load of nonsense.
½ August 20, 2017
How could such a promising film end up so complicated? What started off as a simple premise of a couple having to choose to push the button or not, ended up so jumbled. If they opted to press it then they would be 1m richer, but with the fact that someone somewhere will have died as a result of their decision, it makes the predicament all that harder. I had assumed that once they pressed it, the next couple who are in receipt of the box would ultimately make a decision that could end up killing the previous pushers of the button. I think I was partly right, but to be honest I've no idea, as it just became so unnecessarily twisted and over the top Sci-Fi. Part of me almost gave it up, but the persistent part of me wanted to see it through to the end to see if anything became clearer - Alas, it didn't. I had wanted to see this for a while so I was very disappointed with the outcome, and should anyone need me to describe what happened, I would struggle to explain how it all concluded despite having read Wikipedia. I wouldn't really recommend this, only to a Sci-Fi expert, in the hope that they might be able to tie up all the loose ends that made all of this just one big mystery to me. I don't really associate Cameron Diaz with this sort of film, and it's one I'll now remember for all the wrong reasons. Difficult to watch, difficult to review, and difficult to see myself ever watching this again!
August 9, 2017
I thought it was a well crafted science experiment of a movie. It leads much to your imagination and spurs feelings of dread and suspicion over the choices we make. Who is pulling the strings? Is there a giant scoreboard in life keeping track of our decisions good and bad? For this reason, I love this movie and have watched it many times sense. It's a guilty pleasure movie for me.
July 30, 2017
Interesting plot and movie and one that keeps you not sure what is going to happen or how it will end. But it also keeps you interested in it and it is a good movie. A great, clean sci-fi thriller. And it's not a reusable plot that you have seen before like in so many other movies.
½ July 24, 2017
A little bit confusing, but very good movie. Imaginative, thrilling and original.
½ July 21, 2017
This movie contradict's itself and does not explain all the elements of the film.
July 21, 2017
This is a great existential film that is not for the big box sci-fi fans who like big FX and minimal plot. This film is not what it seems and for that, I thank the artists who made it! It was beautifully edited in such a way that forces the viewer to look at it as more than what it seems. For anyone who loves Jean Paul Sartre, you'll love the eccentricity, detail, intrigue, and suspense. It's far more than just a box, it's a metaphor for whatever you want it to be.
July 8, 2017
Huge disappointment !
May 20, 2017
The cinema equivalent of trash.
½ April 24, 2017
Good idea for a story made into possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. Terrible from start to finish. What was the Santa all about?!!
½ March 17, 2017
Very boring movie. I liked the ending sequence though.
February 2, 2017
Not a good movie to watch
January 13, 2017
Nothing more frustrating than having all the components to structure a thought-provoking, chilling film -- and then blowing your chance so spectacularly.

Being let down not only by its less-than-middle-tier leads but also plagued by erratic direction, abhorrent editing, chaotic writing, and a myriad of other technical issues, The Box only benefits from two points -- Frank Langella's ever-charming performance, and the potential conversation the age-old party question of this particular "What Would You Do If" game could spark amongst your company.

Sidenote: Southern accent, Cameron Diaz? Really? Please don't.