A Christmas Carol - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Carol Reviews

May 28, 2016
my favorite version!
½ April 10, 2016
I really loved this early version of the Charles Dickens classic. Reginald Owen and Gene Lockhart (born in nearby London, Ontario) were wonderful as Ebenezer Scrooge and his employee Bob Cratchit, respectively. Definitely a film not to be missed o'er the holiday season...This is up there with 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' and the Boris Karloff-version of 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas' as ones I have to crack open each and every Yuletide season.
½ April 10, 2016
½ February 15, 2016
One of the earliest cinematic adaptations of Charles Dickens' immortal classic, MGM's 1938 A Christmas Carol has all the magic of the season. Reginald Owen is cast as Scrooge and does and extraordinary job, really conveying the change that the character goes through. The actor who plays Tiny Tim, on the other hand, is dreadful; poisoning every scene he's in (which are mercifully few). The special effects and costumes are well-done, especially for the ghosts; which have an ethereal quality to them. Also, the film does a good job at streamlining the plot to meet its rather short runtime (just over an hour). A Christmas Carol may not be a perfect adaptation, but it captures spirit of the novel exceptionally.
½ December 31, 2015
Your governor must be a crusty old bird.

Ebenezer Scrooge owns his own business run by his one employee, Bob, who barely gets paid enough to make ends meet. He has a beautiful wife and a disabled boy, Tim. Ebenezer has no care for Christmas and actually fires Bob due to an accident on Christmas Eve. Bob doesn't know how to break the news to his family. Meanwhile, Ebenezer is whisked off to learn the error of his ways and behaviors.

"Don't work overtime, you might make something of yourself."

Edwin Marin, director of Tall in the Saddle, Abilene Town, Invisible Agent, Fort Worth, Sugarfoot, Lady Luck, Colt .45, Johnny Angel, and Fighting Man of the Plains, delivers A Christmas Carol. The storyline for this fit tightly to the story as we know it and the characters were fun. The run time was 69 minutes and the acting was solid as the cast includes Reginald Owen, Gene Lockhart, Leo Carroll, Ann Rutherford, and Ronald Sinclair.

"What's your business with me?"
"Your welfare."

I came across this on Netflix and decided to give it a viewing this holiday season. This was okay and delivers the storyline as you'd expect. There are versions of this I enjoy more, but this is a classic that delivers the story and premise well. This is worth an occasional viewing.

"I shall follow gladly."

Grade: B-
December 30, 2015
Scrooge has a personality disorder deeply rooted in childhood neglect, and is magically cured by a fragment of underdone potato. Loses most of Dickens' delightful turns of phrase, and all of his social awareness.
½ December 28, 2015
Loved this version, might be my favorite telling of A Christmas Carol! The only issue I have with it is that the Ghost of Christmas Past does not show Ebenezer Scrooge his dark past, only the positive.
December 15, 2015
One of the first film adaptations of Charles Dickens' most famous novel, this version of "A Christmas Carol" is far more superior classic as previous remakes due to its great performances and sentimental story telling.
December 12, 2015
My all time favorite Christmas movie!
½ December 8, 2015
As meandering as it it is, this version develops the side characters of Fred, Bob and even Tim more than a large number of other adaptations. Hell, they might be developed than even the novel's versions.
November 29, 2015
A great and accurate portrayal of Dickens classic. Nothing more and nothing less.
½ November 22, 2015
Concise and classic. Scrooge is no joke.
½ November 15, 2015
just finished watching this movie reluctantly, George c Scott version is the best version ever released
½ July 21, 2015
Just missed five stars, excellent movie and it was fantastic.
December 23, 2014
Ironically, I guess I go against the grain here in seeing this as more of a Hollywood picture, be it a lovely classic MGM production, gloss and all. I love old Hollywood and have been a student of film studies nearly my whole life, but where there are a couple primary supporting actors who do a fine job here - with Gene Lockhart's version of Bob Cratchit outshining everyone involved, Reginald Owen (Admiral Boom in "Mary Poppins"), although always a good character actor, is a bit too kitschy here as the lead (don't mean to step on any toes, but for those here who are raving about the overall performances, they must have seen a different film). Short, sweet and entertaining, but pretty much fluff, just the same. Nothing here to talk up, sadly. Stick with the '51 Brit version, which offers a mood and tone more suited to this Dickens tale. However, if it's between this and the minions of other versions over the years (especially the animated and TV ones), this one'll do. ESPECIALLY so if we're talking the strange and quirky Disney film with Jim Carrey (in fact, if one ignores ALL Carrey Christmas faire, the holiday tends to be much more satisfying - and is simple to do, since both the Grinch and the former film are simply poor remakes).
December 21, 2014
One of the greatest Christmas movies of all time
½ November 5, 2014
Almost everything here is fine, but I just had a little bit of an issue with Reginald Owen as Scrooge. He was just a wee bit too overdramatic for my tastes.
August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - December 2009)
February 14, 2014
Delightful adaptation of Charles Dickens' beloved story that is sentimental without becoming mawkish. Don't miss Leo G Carroll's cameo as Marley's ghost.
December 21, 2013
A festive version of the Dicken' s classic, this is one of the least faithful. It's festive mood and the lighter than air performances make it great family faire but it kind of undermines Dicken' s story. The Cratchet' s home and clothing make them look almost prosperous and there's nary a poor person in sight. Owens performance Is decent but the make up is a bit distracting. Many major scenes and characters are left out. The great scene at Fezziwihs is shortened and Scrooge' s fiance Belle is left out completely. Maybe I'm being a bit critical but this is my favourite holiday story. Dicken' s

message is universal and while this version tries to convey it it's glossy look kind of undermines the message. Still this is a festive film and for the whole family, so with that in mind I would recommend it for the holidays. But for those of us who are Christmas Carol purists and for those who want to feel Dicken' s true message I suggest that the best versions are Alistar SIM ,Patrick Stewart, and George C Scott, in that order.