A Christmas Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Story Reviews

February 17, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
½ February 1, 2018
It's not an oscar contender but man is it a fun film. The actors are spot on, the script and pacing is great, it's just really fun. If you haven't seen it yet, it is a must watch over the holiday season. There are some terrific moments throughout the movie and you will thank yourself for the time spent. For More:https://latetothegame.blog/2017/12/20/key-movies-in-my-life-a-christmas-story-1983/
January 3, 2018
Christmas classic that holds up as one of the funniest but most realistic take on the holidays. The cast is uniformly excellent, with Peter Billingsley as Ralphie capturing the awkward stage of childhood when some of the wonder starts to leave the world, while Darren McGavin is perfect as his terrifying but loving father. Behind the camera, Bob Clark crafts the perfect examination of Christmas through a kid's eyes, whether dealing with horrible presents or bad trips to Santa. However, through this pain of growing up, Ralphie also discovers his parents in a new light that makes the appreciate them more. Plus, he finds plenty of humor & gags to keep the story going, from the infamous leg lamp to the playground dare. A perfect Christmas comedy that is required viewing every holiday season.
½ December 30, 2017
Watching the first half of A Christmas Story, I was utterly befuddled by what I was seeing and I found myself thinking - Is this really considered a Christmas classic? The narration is very annoying, the humor is odd, it felt too childish and those vignettes did not work for me at all as I found them very frustrating and mediocre. However, the second half fixed all of those problems by getting back on track with its main storyline and giving us two truly terrific scenes: one is that wonderful, charming presents sequence and the other is the Santa scene which is hilarious, bizarre and oh so relatable. So in the end, the film was saved by its second half from being a total disaster, but it still remains only solid and far from a classic deemed by so many people.
December 26, 2017
The best Christmas movie ever!
December 25, 2017
This is an all time classic christmas movie. I only watch it when its during the christmas season but I watch it once a year. The plot was great a young Boy wanting a BB gun but everyone thinks he'll shoot his eye out !! the bratty little brother who gets on your nerves the loving mother who is over protective and the father who fights with the neighbors over the dogs cusses like a sailor even the bullies were casted right. The laughs while pretty dry were funny and kept coming threw out all the way to the end where they went to the chinese restaurant were the duck was smiling at them so it gets his head cut off. Great movie fun for the whole family
December 25, 2017
The jokes were long and drawn out, the humor was bland, and the videography was plain. The message itself was wholly uninspiring: that any moment can turn sour in a matter of seconds. Honestly, I'd feel a little more sympathy for Ralph and his sibling if they didn't have the shrillest voices possible.

Not to be the Scrooge, but you would be better suited to watch a Hallmark movie; at least with that you could laugh them off for the low-budget films that they are. Happy Holidays, and Bah-Humbug!
December 23, 2017
Good fun family movie for Christmas starring some random little kid off the street who's amazing. The only flaw I have with this movie is theirs at times adult humor and watching it with little kids asking questions isn't suitable. I like the story is tells hence the name and I will definitely watch this movie every Christmas from now on and continue the tradition. And I can't believe that I finally watched this movie for the first time in 2017 and it came out in the 80s.
½ December 22, 2017
The worst Christmas Movie is recorded history.
December 20, 2017
A favorite of my childhood; it wouldn't be Christmas without it!
December 17, 2017
Now this is a classic. A Christmas story is one of the best holiday film of all time it really show how america christmas is all about. I love this film it was my childhood movie when i was a kid and it never gets old with heart and humor for the whole family to watch and love for the holidays. Overall A christmas story is a fun classic film that never gets old and a perfect holiday film to watch and love. Well done MGM films you made a perfect holiday classic and it never gets old to watch. Good job making a classic and remember "you'll shoot your eye out kid, ho ho ho".
November 25, 2017
A must see in our house every Christmas. The undertones of the typical 1940's family holidays is a comfort I need a far to digital world.
November 16, 2017
It's safe to say this movie will give you mixed feelings. Even though this movie is a classic Christmas tale, its remembrance is dismal. With moments that you will remember, its easy to forget what the main plot of the movie is about. The kid wants a gun... tell me something else about the plot. This movie is worth a watch whenever you want to see a something little different that relates to Christmas.
October 10, 2017
It's episodic structure might not work for some folks, but it totally works for me. it remains my all time favorite Christmas film. It is a light, funny, & comfy flick that will require annual viewing.
October 8, 2017
I really like this 1983's Christmas movie Its you loves all 80s movies, you gonna like this Peter Billingsley first movie of all time
August 15, 2017
The definition of the perfect Christmas movie. Enjoy your trek with Ralphie as he pursues the"Holy Grail of Christmas gifts"!
August 14, 2017
A Christmas Story is a classic movie with wit, humor, and a good story for Christmas time. This movie is a tad tiring, but that is a nitpick.
July 10, 2017
Hilarious and nostalgic. A Christmas Story is a definitive holiday classic and a movie I can watch every Christmas and never get tired of it.
½ June 8, 2017
It's part of the usual viewing each year, even if it may only be in part, as it's on while other stuff is happening around the house during the holiday season. Actually, I'm not sure why I own this, as it's run in a constant loop on Christmas Day, but it's nice to have around should the cable go out or something.

Recommended.
May 4, 2017
I really like the general style and the narration on past events, but it isn't really a film that I relate to. It is set well before my time and seems more suited for an older audience. I was kind of bored at times and certain scenes were bizarre. It definitely isn't a movie to watch every Christmas, but it's something that can be on in the background every other holiday season. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)