A Christmas Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Story Reviews

November 16, 2017
It's safe to say this movie will give you mixed feelings. Even though this movie is a classic Christmas tale, its remembrance is dismal. With moments that you will remember, its easy to forget what the main plot of the movie is about. The kid wants a gun... tell me something else about the plot. This movie is worth a watch whenever you want to see a something little different that relates to Christmas.
October 10, 2017
It's episodic structure might not work for some folks, but it totally works for me. it remains my all time favorite Christmas film. It is a light, funny, & comfy flick that will require annual viewing.
October 8, 2017
I really like this 1983's Christmas movie Its you loves all 80s movies, you gonna like this Peter Billingsley first movie of all time
August 15, 2017
The definition of the perfect Christmas movie. Enjoy your trek with Ralphie as he pursues the"Holy Grail of Christmas gifts"!
August 14, 2017
A Christmas Story is a classic movie with wit, humor, and a good story for Christmas time. This movie is a tad tiring, but that is a nitpick.
July 10, 2017
Hilarious and nostalgic. A Christmas Story is a definitive holiday classic and a movie I can watch every Christmas and never get tired of it.
½ June 8, 2017
It's part of the usual viewing each year, even if it may only be in part, as it's on while other stuff is happening around the house during the holiday season. Actually, I'm not sure why I own this, as it's run in a constant loop on Christmas Day, but it's nice to have around should the cable go out or something.

Recommended.
May 4, 2017
I really like the general style and the narration on past events, but it isn't really a film that I relate to. It is set well before my time and seems more suited for an older audience. I was kind of bored at times and certain scenes were bizarre. It definitely isn't a movie to watch every Christmas, but it's something that can be on in the background every other holiday season. (First and only full viewing - In my early twenties)
½ April 4, 2017
A really WHITE Christmas. White suburbanites are shown romanticized to the extreme. Consumerism is the main driving point of the movie and as a result, we are blasted by ads for the Ryder BB Rifle. When it comes to teaching values to the young, this film just seems like what a Trump family Christmas would be like. Avoid.
March 12, 2017
Recommended by Chris Evans! This should be up there with 'It's A Wonderful Life"!!!
½ January 4, 2017
This timeless Christmas story is funny. And little kids waiting for Santa Claus can relate to Ralphie even now.
December 25, 2016
A rare Christmas movie classic that throws reverence out the window for the whole family, in a funny, nostalgic, memorable way.
½ December 24, 2016
Henry Perno presents, his review of A Christmas Story. We open with a look at Ralph's (Peter Billingsly) neighborhood, followed by a more urban area where he and a bunch of other kids are gawking at the Christmas store display, where Ralph becomes infatuated with the "Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and "this thing which tells time" (a sundial)." He's rejected by his mother at first, and then after his friend Flick (Scott Schwartz) sticks his tongue to a flagpole, what follows is Ralph's quest to get a "Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and "this thing which tells time" (a sundial)," as he describes it, and survive life in Northern Indiana, between a foul-mouthed dad (Darren McGavin) and life in general. In the context of this film, none of the characters are really well-developed, but we can all relate Ralph's quest for a BB gun, though we may seek different targets. Many moms around the country and world can relate to Ralphie's mom (Melinda Dillon) and her well-meaning parenting. I don't think every dad is an angry one, but he gets mad, and everybody gets angry or has that pet peeve (in his case, several). A plot that seems mundane in idea, but is hilarious in its execution, from Ralph's daydreams to the way the family interacts with each other, and of course just nostalgia for the things you remember like the leg lamp and behaviors we now consider outdated. A semi-timeless classic for the ages, whether you're a younger child who's like "what is this weird stuff?" or an adult who's seen this so many times, you think "just like I remember," or an adult watching for the first time and saying "thanks for showing me this!"
December 24, 2016
An all time favorite. Watching it reminds me of my father who grew up in Hammond IN in the 40s. Great writing, fantastic acting, great bullies, toadies, and various victims. A christmas classic for me and my family.
December 24, 2016
My favorite Christmas movie of all time. I watch it every year on Christmas Eve with my family.
December 22, 2016
Well f***. Guess this is where I alienate everyone. Look, here's the thing, there's a lot I like and even respect about this movie. I like that it's a more realistic and even darker take on Christmas which makes it feel a bit more genuine. I like how it really captures the feeling of childhood in a realistic way without any artificial sense of whimsy; it shows how tough it can be to be a kid and that kids can be violent and cruel little s***heads sometimes. I also like its' very natural almost conversational tone. But do I like the movie? Well...no. Bottom line, I just didn't enjoy it. There were only two points I found funny, and even then it was just a light chuckle and nothing more. Also, as much as I appreciate the darker tone that gives it a more genuine feel, it relishes in the darkness to such a degree it just becomes a very unpleasant film to watch. It's no wonder this director started by doing a Christmas horror movie, this thing is frequently shot like a damn horror movie. It also just feels like a movie with a whole lot of nothing to it. I can appreciate movies that are slice of life pieces with little in terms of actual story, but they have to either be entertaining or be saying something. For me anyway, A Christmas Story does neither of those things. It's just boring, ugly, and kind of unpleasant. Thing is, I don't hate the movie. I can even see this as something that might grow on me in repeat viewings. This first viewing though, I really couldn't get into it. There's a lot of stuff in here I appreciate and respect, but none of it comes together in a effective way. If you like this movie, I get it. It's quirky, it's different, it's genuine. I can respect that. I just couldn't get into it. It just didn't work for me. I'm ultimately giving it a slightly higher rating than I really think it deserves because there are aspects to this film I thought were really well done and even bold choices. As a whole though...no.
December 21, 2016
I have been watching this movie every year since it came out. I can recite this movie word for word. Holiday greatness!!
December 21, 2016
Christmas classic that holds up as one of the funniest but most realistic take on the holidays. The cast is uniformly excellent, with Peter Billingsley as Ralphie capturing the awkward stage of childhood when some of the wonder starts to leave the world, while Darren McGavin is perfect as his terrifying but loving father. Behind the camera, Bob Clark crafts the perfect examination of Christmas through a kid's eyes, whether dealing with horrible presents or bad trips to Santa. However, through this pain of growing up, Ralphie also discovers his parents in a new light that makes the appreciate them more. Plus, he finds plenty of humor & gags to keep the story going, from the infamous leg lamp to the playground dare. A perfect Christmas comedy that is required viewing every holiday season.