A Christmas Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Christmas Story Reviews

March 12, 2017
Recommended by Chris Evans! This should be up there with 'It's A Wonderful Life"!!!
½ January 4, 2017
This timeless Christmas story is funny. And little kids waiting for Santa Claus can relate to Ralphie even now.
December 25, 2016
A rare Christmas movie classic that throws reverence out the window for the whole family, in a funny, nostalgic, memorable way.
December 24, 2016
Hilarious and nostalgic. A Christmas Story is a definitive holiday classic and a movie I can watch every Christmas and never get tired of it.
½ December 24, 2016
Henry Perno presents, his review of A Christmas Story. We open with a look at Ralph's (Peter Billingsly) neighborhood, followed by a more urban area where he and a bunch of other kids are gawking at the Christmas store display, where Ralph becomes infatuated with the "Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and "this thing which tells time" (a sundial)." He's rejected by his mother at first, and then after his friend Flick (Scott Schwartz) sticks his tongue to a flagpole, what follows is Ralph's quest to get a "Red Ryder Carbine Action 200-shot Range Model air rifle with a compass in the stock and "this thing which tells time" (a sundial)," as he describes it, and survive life in Northern Indiana, between a foul-mouthed dad (Darren McGavin) and life in general. In the context of this film, none of the characters are really well-developed, but we can all relate Ralph's quest for a BB gun, though we may seek different targets. Many moms around the country and world can relate to Ralphie's mom (Melinda Dillon) and her well-meaning parenting. I don't think every dad is an angry one, but he gets mad, and everybody gets angry or has that pet peeve (in his case, several). A plot that seems mundane in idea, but is hilarious in its execution, from Ralph's daydreams to the way the family interacts with each other, and of course just nostalgia for the things you remember like the leg lamp and behaviors we now consider outdated. A semi-timeless classic for the ages, whether you're a younger child who's like "what is this weird stuff?" or an adult who's seen this so many times, you think "just like I remember," or an adult watching for the first time and saying "thanks for showing me this!"
December 24, 2016
An all time favorite. Watching it reminds me of my father who grew up in Hammond IN in the 40s. Great writing, fantastic acting, great bullies, toadies, and various victims. A christmas classic for me and my family.
December 24, 2016
My favorite Christmas movie of all time. I watch it every year on Christmas Eve with my family.
December 22, 2016
Well f***. Guess this is where I alienate everyone. Look, here's the thing, there's a lot I like and even respect about this movie. I like that it's a more realistic and even darker take on Christmas which makes it feel a bit more genuine. I like how it really captures the feeling of childhood in a realistic way without any artificial sense of whimsy; it shows how tough it can be to be a kid and that kids can be violent and cruel little s***heads sometimes. I also like its' very natural almost conversational tone. But do I like the movie? Well...no. Bottom line, I just didn't enjoy it. There were only two points I found funny, and even then it was just a light chuckle and nothing more. Also, as much as I appreciate the darker tone that gives it a more genuine feel, it relishes in the darkness to such a degree it just becomes a very unpleasant film to watch. It's no wonder this director started by doing a Christmas horror movie, this thing is frequently shot like a damn horror movie. It also just feels like a movie with a whole lot of nothing to it. I can appreciate movies that are slice of life pieces with little in terms of actual story, but they have to either be entertaining or be saying something. For me anyway, A Christmas Story does neither of those things. It's just boring, ugly, and kind of unpleasant. Thing is, I don't hate the movie. I can even see this as something that might grow on me in repeat viewings. This first viewing though, I really couldn't get into it. There's a lot of stuff in here I appreciate and respect, but none of it comes together in a effective way. If you like this movie, I get it. It's quirky, it's different, it's genuine. I can respect that. I just couldn't get into it. It just didn't work for me. I'm ultimately giving it a slightly higher rating than I really think it deserves because there are aspects to this film I thought were really well done and even bold choices. As a whole though...no.
December 21, 2016
I have been watching this movie every year since it came out. I can recite this movie word for word. Holiday greatness!!
December 21, 2016
Christmas classic that holds up as one of the funniest but most realistic take on the holidays. The cast is uniformly excellent, with Peter Billingsley as Ralphie capturing the awkward stage of childhood when some of the wonder starts to leave the world, while Darren McGavin is perfect as his terrifying but loving father. Behind the camera, Bob Clark crafts the perfect examination of Christmas through a kid's eyes, whether dealing with horrible presents or bad trips to Santa. However, through this pain of growing up, Ralphie also discovers his parents in a new light that makes the appreciate them more. Plus, he finds plenty of humor & gags to keep the story going, from the infamous leg lamp to the playground dare. A perfect Christmas comedy that is required viewing every holiday season.
½ December 17, 2016
Has funny parts, but mostly dumb; dull, televisual style.
December 15, 2016
A Christmas Story is directed and co-written by Bob Clark, and it stars Peter Billingsley in a Christmas film about a kid that wants to have a BB gun, but the parents think he'll "shoot his eye out", and so he's trying to find a way to convince them about it, while dealing with school. In a high school class, we picked what movie we wanted to watch that's Christmas related, and we chose A Christmas Story, which had been a long time since I saw it, but still remember a lot of stuff out of it, and still enjoy it to this day. Peter Billingsley is great in it as he acts like an actual kid, curses and all, and tries to be as nice as he can be so he can get his BB gun, despite what people tell him. The characters are very likable, and with great writing from Jean Shepard, Leigh Brown, and Bob Clark, gives off some moments of bad side of the kids, while giving off the joys of Christmas. It's really funny, but kind of a messed up way, with the dream sequences being out there, but still giving a laugh. There are still unforgettable moments like the triple dog dare scene, leg lamp, and how Santa acts when he's not around kids but still trying to keep his job, which is very believable and we been to that situation before. There are some moments in there that are still relatable to this day, and there are others that are not so except in the old days, but doesn't feel dated. A Christmas Story is a classic one that makes sense why people talk about it to this present day.
December 10, 2016
Here it comes, the greatest Christmas movie of all time. Period. With a period. Now the old man may have been a turkey connoisseur but I my friend am a Christmas movie connisseur. There are few movies that flow effortlessly from beginning to end. Just to throw a few out there, the Jungle Book (1967), Love Actually, and The Christmas Story. If innocence could consume a film. The story was brilliant and timeless. The actors create a perfect culmination of jointed talent that produced pure magic. I take nothing away from It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street or any of the classics. This film is simply at the top of the pyramid. If you go through life without seeing this movie, it's ok. God will sit you down and watch it with you at the end. Fragilé, must be Italian. Good watching! This movie was a nuclear 5 stars.
½ December 9, 2016
Methinks there is no movie that has better captured the daily life of a nuclear family from a bygone era.
December 8, 2016
FRA-GEE-LAY! It must be Italian! It's a major award!! This is by FAR the best of the best of the classic Christmas movies!!
December 7, 2016
Favourite Christmas movie!
December 4, 2016
THIS MOVIE NEVER GETS OLD I LOVE IT
December 3, 2016
One of my FAVORITE Christmas movies. Hilarious, memorable, good story, morals, and other awesome things! If you haven't seen it, you need to like NOW!!!!!!
December 3, 2016
I loved this movie. So hilarious.