Dracula - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula Reviews

August 30, 2013
This adaptation wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either. Mostly I found it boring. The actors were just bored and so was I.
½ August 20, 2007
The marketing was good, but it's so terribly dated now.
garyX
May 29, 2007
Rather unfairly slated by critics, I actually think this is one of the better tellings of the count's story. Sticking quite closely to the literary source, and with a strong supporting cast of thesps it's much better than Coppolla's irritatingly self absorbed vanity project.
November 1, 2006
Rather smokin' adaptation. This time round, The Count is played by Frank Langella, who not only tackles the material with aplomb, but looks considerably younger than Lugosi or Lee, altering his sense of threat somewhat, giving it an uncanny... boyishness. As future adaptations were to explore, the sense of sexual threat is heightened here, giving the film a claustophic horror. This is aided by some marvellous sweeping camera work (cinematographer Gilbert Taylor worked on The Omen and frequently with Roman Polanski). The supporting parts are finely played too (Renfield is played to a T). Will always be in the shadows of Hammer and Browning's version, but definately worth a look.
July 2, 2008
No movie really captures the magic and mysticism of the story or keeps close to the book and this is no exception. While the movie does a very good job of setting the gloomy tone and Frank Langella as Count Dracula is a home run the movie completely cuts off the first part of the story and removes critical characters like Lucy‚(TM)s suitors. This unfortunately decentralizes Jonathan Harker as the main character and oversimplifies the story and main themes. The other major problem is that the pace seems to slow and it loses some the excitement and adventure that should be there for Dracula.
½ June 2, 2011
An adaptation of Bram Stoker's Dracula with a young & handsome Frank Langella as Count Dracula, & Kate Nelligan as his Love Interest,Lucy.Though I prefer Bram Stokers Dracula with Gary Oldham, Winona Ryder, & Anthony Hopkins(One of my all time favorite Films actually), this version is very lovely visually & has additional family relationships & other details I really like to the story.This Story has always been a Love Story, set to a Dracula theme to me.But then, films like this are why girls have fantasies about Dracula.
November 16, 2008
Of all the vampire stories, the original tale of Dracula is my favorite. It goes past horror and straight into self destruction. It's the seduction of the shadows. The carnal nature of sin. How we can see something that we know is wrong and destructive and yet our mind and body is clouded with nothing but desire for it. Dracula has always struck a chord in humanity. And Frank Langella is nothing but the charmer in this version. I will admit that I was put off at first by his english (instead of romanian) accent. But what I really liked was that Donald Pleasence took time off from hunting Michael Myers to help Van Helsing take down Dracula.
September 11, 2007
This wasn't too bad actually. There''s a great scene with Kate Nelligan in bed after Dracula's attack. She looked lovely.
½ May 7, 2008
I piss some people off about this film but I liked Frank Langella as Dracula. John Badham puts fresh spine on the legend.
January 11, 2008
Great update to the old classics. This movie follows the traditional Dracula story with style. Provocative and luring. A must see for Dacula fans
½ April 26, 2007
An interesting verison of the book. Had some really gross stuff. But was cool nver the less. Frank was creepy.
May 18, 2007
An old favorite... It was hard to find this movie, being an old tv movie long ago. The dracula is a very handsome Frank, he plays his role smoothly and sexily as Dracula.
½ April 2, 2007
Good movie with a good actor playing the part of Dracula although I really enjoyed lugosi and lee alot more.
March 5, 2007
Always one of my favorite versions of the story. Langella was a great Dracula, the rest of the cast is impeccable, and there's atmosphere to burn. At least, thats how I remember it. I haven't seen it in many many years.
½ December 31, 2006
Langella is a worthy Count (second to Gary Oldman for me) Interesting interpretation and beautiful music
½ October 3, 2006
Langella's performance is often maligned but, at the very least, he's doing something completely different than Lugosi and Lee. Worth seeing just for that (and an appropriate, creepy atmosphere.)
½ July 2, 2006
I prefer Browning and Bela, but I'm biased (and can use alliteration!). Drac got all sexed up in this one.
August 31, 2006
I wathced this as a kid (what were my parents thinking?) and this is when my love of vampires started
½ November 2, 2015
Whenever i think classic Dracula... i think Frank, sorry Bela.