Freaky Friday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freaky Friday Reviews

June 24, 2015
It has its charm as a body-swap movie and gets its typical morales across of how kids have it just as rough as adults do, and it can take swapping places between parents and child to see that through. A young Jodie Foster plays a tomboyish girl Annabelle, who plays the motherly role off fairly well. Barbara Harris steals the show when she plays Annabelle being stuck in her body, from skateboarding and playing baseball, to water-skiing, to making nice with the boy she has a crush on, which is one of the film's many humorous, yet somewhat uncomfortably awkward scenes, in this case being that Annabelle is is essentially getting it on with her crush, but in her mother's body. This 1976 version of the film, which is said to have sparked the body-swap trend, goes for a lot of corny humor and silly set pieces that are certainly of its time in terms of entertainment. In a matter of fact, this is one of those films that screams 1970's no matter how you try to avoid it, so it quite certainly won't hold up with most people that try and watch it today. I had fun with it where it could be had, but being from a totally generation from mine, it was a bit of a odd viewing for me. If you can get by its datedness, it can be silly fun, but otherwise go with the 2003 movie with Curtis and Lohan for something more acceptably recent.
April 23, 2015
Goofy Disney movie starring Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster, as a mother and daughter who switch places on Friday the 13th, and get to walk a mile in each others' shoes. The premise is goofy, and the gags are easy, but it is kind of a fun family film that works.
½ January 20, 2015
La Disney hacia unas peliculas muy entretenidas, nada que ver con lo que hace hoy, Barbara Harris lo mejor de la pelicula.
½ November 16, 2014
The original 'Freaky Friday', the original switcheroo movie. A mom and daughter getting their bodies exchanged (on Friday the 13th) is rife with possibilities, but considering this is a Disney production, it's a commendable adaptation. It's hilarious from beginning to end, especially because of the two talented leads, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster, who assume each other's characters with terrific ease. Supporting actors like Marc McClure (Boris), Sparky Marcus (Ben) and John Astin (Bill) are noteworthy too.

There are so many laugh-out-funny and memorable sequences in the film, from the sports scenes (baseball and hockey) to car chases to stunts (water-skiing), but my favourite scene is the one with the father's (Bill's) secretary - after listening to Annabel's comments, she keeps entering the office, making herself modest with each entrance; it's just unbearably rib-tickling.

"I wish I could switch places with her for just one day." - I wonder, how many people must have tried using this line.

Even one likes, be sure to check out the 2003' updated adaptation as well; it's as hilarious and intriguing.
August 17, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my mid-twenties)
May 6, 2014
love the film and Barbara Harris was hot
½ May 4, 2014
Whats not to love about this film???

I couldn't remember how long a time I could actually laugh at a film until I went back in time to watch this classic, what a great film!!! Jodie Foster wasn't my fav to pick for this film as she is soooo a tomboy in this..but what the hell Barbara Harris was fantastic in this!!

I really had fun watching this at 1 in the morning...made my tired eyes wide awake with joy, its old but I must say these old films were so great than what you see today. Overall A+
½ April 3, 2014
Freaky Friday is a pretty good effort by Disney, but the flaws in the story put it on a slightly lower plateau then other Disney greats. Nonetheless, it is a heartwarming film.
March 6, 2014
The story is about a teenager and her mother switch bodies for a day. This movie is a good family friendly film with a lot to laugh at and enjoy.
February 24, 2014
This is one criminally underrated movie. People often talk about how this movie is one of the classic body-swapping comedies and here I find out that not many eole actually liked this movie. I have no idea why. The story involves around Annabel Andrews played by a young Jodie Foster who is a young teenage pimp girl. She is always bickering with her mother Ellen played by Barbara Harris because she has to handle all the hard work of the family and Annabel is a big one. On Friday the 13th when Annabel is at school and Ellen is at home doing the housework, they both make a wish that they want to be in each others' shoes for the day and their wish unexpectedly comes true. Now Annabel, with the mind of Ellen is stuck at school hanging around with the other teenage pimps and Ellen with the mind of Annabel is stuck at home doing all the housework, cleaning and handling the calls. Learning that they cannot live the lives of each other but after a few changes in them has worked, they decide to live with those changes and live together forever. Films like these worked because they give you the idea and thought, "What would happen if you were a kid and swapped bodies with an elderly or if it was the other way around, what would happen then?" The movie was amazing. It was funny at times, I loved the intro which was incredibly nostalgia, I loved how Walt Disney took advantages of this film of being a teen comedy and turned it into a child-friendly adventure and most of all, I loved the story. Freaky Friday gets a 9.9/10.
January 24, 2014
Wont set the world on fire, but an entertaining enough family comedy. Hasn't aged fantastically well, but Jodi Foster's performance is charming enough to sustain viewer interest.
January 8, 2014
the original and best!
thmtsang
October 6, 2013
Jodie and Barbara are hilarious. Imagine swapping a day in your life with your mum! Fave scenes - the switch between driving the car and water skiing. Stars a young Jodie Foster.
September 12, 2013
What a bad movie. Like hilariously, campy bad. This might be fun to watch with a group of people to make fun of its dated humor, but that's about it. I really liked Barbara Harris, very beautiful woman, and Jodie Foster could have been good if the material had been better for the actresses. Unfortunately the movie doesn't offer much. The movie description mentions the director was well known for television, and it really shows in this movie, and not in a positive manner. Also, I like how the "technology clash" for the mother was one of those new-fangled electric typewriters, lol. I think there needs to be a hard "R" rated body switch movie.
August 31, 2013
A mother (Barbara Harris and daughter (Jodie Foster) find their personalities switched and have to live each other's lives on one strange Friday.

also stars John Astin, Patsy Kelly, Dick Van Patten, Vicki Schreck, Sorrell Booke, Alan Oppenheimer, Ruth Buzzi, Kaye Ballard, Marie Windsor, Sparky Marcus, Ceil Cabot, Brooke Mills, Karen A. Smith, Marvin Kaplan, Al Molinaro, Iris Adrian, Barbara Walden, Don Carter, Fritz Feld, Laurie Main, Marc McClure, Jack Sheldon, Charlene Tilton, James Van Patten, Fuddle Bagley and Dermott Downs.

directed by Gary Nelson.
August 31, 2013
There are one or two moments in Freaky Friday when it becomes just a bit too farcical for its own good. That said Harris and Foster give it enough charm to become an endearing family comedy.
July 3, 2013
I've only seen the remake.
May 24, 2013
We said No more Remaking copycats for disturbing our golden decay genertion with my Dear Jodie Foster we Share the same conclution and the opinion is that counts People Generation to be authentic & original we won respect dont we Mother! Rock the vote cause is fair enough thank u!
½ April 17, 2013
We all know what happens, and the movie's heartwarming message still resonates. However, that may be all that appeals to the modern tween and teen. Especially those who've seen the Lindsay Lohan version that boasts the star power and more special effects. Kids may be bored by the constant inner monologues and the old-fashioned tasks on Annabel's to-do list. This version of the film is a little dated. The avocado green appliances and gold colored carpet firmly place this movie in the 1970's. But more than that, women's rolls have changed a lot since this was made, and many of the jokes are not as topical. The 'putting too much detergent into the washing machine' gag was tired even back in 1976, and today it really falls flat. Freaky Friday is a delightfully fun family comedy. The contemporary nature of the story makes it a true product of the 1970s, but the film remains every bit as entertaining nearly three decades later.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)
½ April 14, 2013
A fun, yet offtrack disney film.