Mutiny on the Bounty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mutiny on the Bounty Reviews

½ August 25, 2017
Enticing story, fantastic Clark Gabel performance
August 4, 2017
You can't really go wrong with Charles Laughton and Clark Gable as the headliners of your cast. These guys are great and truly elevate Mutiny on the Bounty. You can see authority in both characters but with different philosophies that make them unique from one another. Some of the other guys in the cast blended together for me. There are a lot of character intros in the beginning and keeping every single guy straight was a challenge. There were some that stood out but through their personalities, not their appearance.

Mutiny on the Bounty does a good job of making you hate Captain Bligh. They continuously hammer home his cruelty and so I was just counting down the minutes until the mutiny would occur. I was surprised it actually took so long for Christian to reach his breaking point. I'm not sure the turn made sense for his character, at least not as abruptly and dramatically, but I went with it. I couldn't help wondering, though, would it be more interesting if Bligh wasn't such a hateful character and we saw things from both sides?

The story for Mutiny on the Bounty was very straightforward. It seems like there's something lacking when I can guess most of the plot just from the title of the movie. There are a few small subplots but most of the runtime is spent on establishing why a mutiny is going to occur and what the consequences of that mutiny will be. The ending was easily the worst part of the film. While one character gets a satisfying end the rest just kind of disappear. There isn't proper judgement, forgiveness, punishment, or redemption for most people. I think, in general, Mutiny on the Bounty is a well-made film, but I probably won't revisit it anytime soon.
July 25, 2017
Well worth seeing. Might seem old fashioned to most audiences, but felt surprisingly modern to me - for a film made in 1935.
June 25, 2017
Great movie. Gable, Laughton. But, what happens to Captain Blight?
June 12, 2017
Mutiny on the Bounty is a superb film. It is about midshipman Roger Byam who joins Captain Bligh and Fletcher Christian aboard HMS Bounty for a voyage to Tahiti. Charles Laughton and Clark Gable give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Frank Lloyd did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and drama. Mutiny on the Bounty is a must see.
½ April 1, 2017
If you want to see a mutiny skip an hour in.
February 28, 2017
10 out of 10:

Well acted and written, beautifully directed, and great characters makes for one of the greatest (albeit, inaccurate) historical dramas.
½ February 28, 2017
Of all the versions of this movie, this one's the best.
½ February 19, 2017
Not quite the exciting adventure movie I was hoping for. Time has not been kind to it. Even with Clark Gable and Charles Laughton's presence it is boring. (First and only viewing - 3/5/2011)
December 18, 2016
While it's the least complex version of this story, focusing on a straightforwardly evil Bligh and an uncontroversially heroic Fletcher Christian, this is in many ways the best version. Charles Laughton is an unbelievably hammy Bligh, even resorting to fake bushy eyebrows to heighten his evilness, but it's the right unbelievably hammy performance for this movie. Clark Gable is gallant, manly and heroic, and the perfect contrast to Laughton. Franchot Tone kind of hangs out in the middle, not turning in a very distinctive performance, but faring much better than your average bland male lead from the 1930's. It suffers a little from handsome, middle-of-the-road respectable film syndrome, but it's a fairly rousing sea adventure that certainly isn't as exciting as an Errol Flynn swashbuckler, but is a lot of fun in it's own fashion.
½ November 11, 2016
Fine movie...classic Hollywood pacing. Clark Gable a little younger...and more action oriented...
½ May 25, 2016
Im just not sure about that hasty halted ending and some of the historical inaccuracies. The real story seems to be rather complicated. However, other than that great film with colorful characters and performances. This movie has one of the best villains ever! I was fuming near the end of this movie, he made me so mad! I would've made him walk the plank! I could imagine being there myself and just miserable as it was directed well showing all the cruelty. Ive heard of keelhauling before and not sure if it was used much in actuality but thats the stuff of nightmares!! Also, i just love a good story about being at sea and if u can get thru the sailing jargon this film is totally worthwhile! Tyranny continues to exist today as it always has maybe not in such harsh ways as then but still in subtle soul crushing jobs and system oppression.
April 16, 2016
A great film. Gable is surprisingly a believable Christian but of course Laughton steals the show as Bligh. Very well made, and a fabulous Hollywood take on the true story.
April 16, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ April 9, 2016
When I saw this film was from 1935 and shot in black and white I really wasn't expecting much. However it did win the Best Picture Oscar so I thought it was worthy of a viewing.
How glad I am that I did view this film. I knew the basic story from faint 9memories of a 1984 version.
It basically follows as the title implies a mutiny by the lowly sailors over the mean Captain lead by officer Mr. Christian.
In this version Christian is actually played by an American, Clark Gable who has his trademark Lord Lucan like moustache removed for the role.
I really got into the film but was somewhat disappointed the film could not have been shot in colour like Gone With The Wind which I had watched a few hours earlier. The black and white images on a television screen mean the production design that the film is lauded for cannot be fully admired.
The mean Captain Bligh (excellently played by Charles Laughton) looks like a stuck up Conservative MP. Laughton puts in an excellent performance like Gable and deservedly received a Best Actor Oscar nomination alongside Franchot Tone). The only time that three performances in the same film were up for the Best Actor award.
I have to say it again. A film worthy of a remake using a modern cast and colour.
February 29, 2016
1787. HMS Bounty sets sail from England for Tahiti in the South Pacific. Her First Lieutenant is Fletcher Christian, an officer who cares about the welfare of his men. Her captain, Captain Bligh, on the other hand, drives his men mercilessly and punishes them for the most insignificant thing, to the point of manufacturing infractions. Bligh becomes universally hated by the crew and a confrontation with Christian appears inevitable...

Decent telling of the (true) story of the Bounty. The sailing scenes are quite authentic and you get a good feel for what life at sea must have been like in the late-1700s.

Good work by Charles Laughton as Captain Bligh - he captured the menace and maliciousness of Bligh very well. Clark Gable is fine as Christian, though at times maybe a bit too cavalier and cocky to be naval officer.

Not great though. The story does feel a bit dry at times and is fairly conventionally told. I much preferred the 1984 version starring Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson. (I haven't yet seen the 1962 version starring Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard).

Won the 1936 Best Picture Oscar.
½ February 28, 2016
It's not exactly an accurate representation of Captain Bligh, but none of the cinematic films regarding The Bounty Mutiny have been. Charles Laughton's oppressive representation of the Bligh does however provide for an entertaining account of what may have happened.
½ February 15, 2016
This is the cinematic recreation of the Norhoff and Hall 1932 book, Mutiny On The Bounty, which is itself somewhat historically inaccurate. This film sets the standard on the Mutiny On The Bounty story we all know. Charles Laughton's Captain Bligh establishes his historically inaccurate reputation as a villainous captain. Clark Gable's constant smile becomes somewhat wearisome. The film must be taken in the context of being the original Mutiny picture and establishing the standard of our beliefs of the ordeal. Truly one of the most fascinating real-life marine adventures of all time!
½ January 23, 2016
Well written and well acted. The only thing I would change is adding a bit more about how the mutineers got along on they're new island. Overall, a great movie.