Mutiny on the Bounty - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mutiny on the Bounty Reviews

June 25, 2017
Great movie. Gable, Laughton. But, what happens to Captain Blight?
June 12, 2017
Mutiny on the Bounty is a superb film. It is about midshipman Roger Byam who joins Captain Bligh and Fletcher Christian aboard HMS Bounty for a voyage to Tahiti. Charles Laughton and Clark Gable give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Frank Lloyd did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the adventure and drama. Mutiny on the Bounty is a must see.
½ April 1, 2017
If you want to see a mutiny skip an hour in.
February 28, 2017
10 out of 10:

Well acted and written, beautifully directed, and great characters makes for one of the greatest (albeit, inaccurate) historical dramas.
½ February 28, 2017
Of all the versions of this movie, this one's the best.
½ February 19, 2017
Not quite the exciting adventure movie I was hoping for. Time has not been kind to it. Even with Clark Gable and Charles Laughton's presence it is boring. (First and only viewing - 3/5/2011)
December 18, 2016
While it's the least complex version of this story, focusing on a straightforwardly evil Bligh and an uncontroversially heroic Fletcher Christian, this is in many ways the best version. Charles Laughton is an unbelievably hammy Bligh, even resorting to fake bushy eyebrows to heighten his evilness, but it's the right unbelievably hammy performance for this movie. Clark Gable is gallant, manly and heroic, and the perfect contrast to Laughton. Franchot Tone kind of hangs out in the middle, not turning in a very distinctive performance, but faring much better than your average bland male lead from the 1930's. It suffers a little from handsome, middle-of-the-road respectable film syndrome, but it's a fairly rousing sea adventure that certainly isn't as exciting as an Errol Flynn swashbuckler, but is a lot of fun in it's own fashion.
½ November 11, 2016
Fine movie...classic Hollywood pacing. Clark Gable a little younger...and more action oriented...
½ May 25, 2016
Im just not sure about that hasty halted ending and some of the historical inaccuracies. The real story seems to be rather complicated. However, other than that great film with colorful characters and performances. This movie has one of the best villains ever! I was fuming near the end of this movie, he made me so mad! I would've made him walk the plank! I could imagine being there myself and just miserable as it was directed well showing all the cruelty. Ive heard of keelhauling before and not sure if it was used much in actuality but thats the stuff of nightmares!! Also, i just love a good story about being at sea and if u can get thru the sailing jargon this film is totally worthwhile! Tyranny continues to exist today as it always has maybe not in such harsh ways as then but still in subtle soul crushing jobs and system oppression.
April 16, 2016
A great film. Gable is surprisingly a believable Christian but of course Laughton steals the show as Bligh. Very well made, and a fabulous Hollywood take on the true story.
April 16, 2016
WOW.....WOW....SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A FANTASTIC CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A FANTASTIC MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH SUCH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE....... ITS GOT SUCH A FANTASTIC SOUNDTRACK THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE IT IS SUCH A BRILLIANT MOVIE 2 WATCH WITH A BRILLIANT CAST THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE........
½ April 9, 2016
When I saw this film was from 1935 and shot in black and white I really wasn't expecting much. However it did win the Best Picture Oscar so I thought it was worthy of a viewing.
How glad I am that I did view this film. I knew the basic story from faint 9memories of a 1984 version.
It basically follows as the title implies a mutiny by the lowly sailors over the mean Captain lead by officer Mr. Christian.
In this version Christian is actually played by an American, Clark Gable who has his trademark Lord Lucan like moustache removed for the role.
I really got into the film but was somewhat disappointed the film could not have been shot in colour like Gone With The Wind which I had watched a few hours earlier. The black and white images on a television screen mean the production design that the film is lauded for cannot be fully admired.
The mean Captain Bligh (excellently played by Charles Laughton) looks like a stuck up Conservative MP. Laughton puts in an excellent performance like Gable and deservedly received a Best Actor Oscar nomination alongside Franchot Tone). The only time that three performances in the same film were up for the Best Actor award.
I have to say it again. A film worthy of a remake using a modern cast and colour.
February 29, 2016
1787. HMS Bounty sets sail from England for Tahiti in the South Pacific. Her First Lieutenant is Fletcher Christian, an officer who cares about the welfare of his men. Her captain, Captain Bligh, on the other hand, drives his men mercilessly and punishes them for the most insignificant thing, to the point of manufacturing infractions. Bligh becomes universally hated by the crew and a confrontation with Christian appears inevitable...

Decent telling of the (true) story of the Bounty. The sailing scenes are quite authentic and you get a good feel for what life at sea must have been like in the late-1700s.

Good work by Charles Laughton as Captain Bligh - he captured the menace and maliciousness of Bligh very well. Clark Gable is fine as Christian, though at times maybe a bit too cavalier and cocky to be naval officer.

Not great though. The story does feel a bit dry at times and is fairly conventionally told. I much preferred the 1984 version starring Anthony Hopkins and Mel Gibson. (I haven't yet seen the 1962 version starring Marlon Brando and Trevor Howard).

Won the 1936 Best Picture Oscar.
½ February 28, 2016
It's not exactly an accurate representation of Captain Bligh, but none of the cinematic films regarding The Bounty Mutiny have been. Charles Laughton's oppressive representation of the Bligh does however provide for an entertaining account of what may have happened.
½ February 15, 2016
This is the cinematic recreation of the Norhoff and Hall 1932 book, Mutiny On The Bounty, which is itself somewhat historically inaccurate. This film sets the standard on the Mutiny On The Bounty story we all know. Charles Laughton's Captain Bligh establishes his historically inaccurate reputation as a villainous captain. Clark Gable's constant smile becomes somewhat wearisome. The film must be taken in the context of being the original Mutiny picture and establishing the standard of our beliefs of the ordeal. Truly one of the most fascinating real-life marine adventures of all time!
½ January 23, 2016
Well written and well acted. The only thing I would change is adding a bit more about how the mutineers got along on they're new island. Overall, a great movie.
January 1, 2016
The reason that Mutiny on the Bounty works is Charles Laughton. Captain Bligh is such a despicable character in this movie that you want the crew to start a mutiny. However, (no spoilers here, since it's in the title) once the mutiny does occur, the plot then becomes a "be careful what you wish for" scenario. Plus, the actual historical accounts add another layer of to this story. This film leaves an impression on you.
½ April 14, 2015
I really don't understand the hype around this epic adventure movie, which feels like one long missed opportunity, focused on sticking to the safety of generic 1930s melodramatic conventions as opposed to taking many narrative risks.

Maybe I just wasn't in the mood, because the elements are all there. Clark Gable, though miscast as a young British naval officer, is entertaining as always in the role of Christian, the charming everyman who leads the mutiny, despite playing it no differently than any of his other roles, and Charles Laughton, great as Henry VIII, is once again very good as the villainous Captain Bligh here. Technically the film was also very good for its time, with lots of sweeping shots of The Bounty, hundreds of extras wearing excellent historical attire, and creative editing.

But the film simply didn't work for me. The music is generic and consistently incongruous with the events on screen, with the stereotypically high-pitched, optimistic music you'd expect to find in a romantic comedy of the day drowning out action-packed scenes, such as the obligatory scene where a storm hits the ship.

There is also about half an hour of a cheesy romantic subplot where the crew of The Bounty stop off in Tahiti and pair off with the women there. This is actually at the same time the best and worst part of the movie, as it has tons of entertainment value but is totally tonally different to the rest of the film. The most memorable shot - also the most cringeworthy I've seen in any Oscar-winning film up until this point - shows the close-up, soft-focused face of a Tahitian girl as she enters the room and seductively smiles at one of the Englishmen. The shot sums up everything dated about this kind of film; it's entertaining, but we wouldn't take it seriously today. These scenes of romance have charm, but little passion, and at times had me bursting out laughing.

My biggest problem with the film is that the last act, once the mutineers (well, some of them) are caught and brought back to trial in England, focuses mainly on the politics behind everything, almost completely skipping the in-between part where Captain Bligh, thrown on a lifeboat with a few of his loyalists, made his way back to England and sent the Navy back to capture the mutineers. If I were to make a film about this, I'd focus heavily on this potentially awesome third act, with a lot more on-ship action and drama as opposed to people sitting in chairs discussing the fates of the mutineers. I'd also have focused a lot more on the lives the mutineers had in Tahiti for the few years they lived there in peace, as there was a lot of mystery and intrigue there.

I'd probably like this film more on a second watch. As I said, the performances are good as are the production values. But the film as a whole seemed to cater more to the melodramatic tastes of the time as opposed to telling the raw, passionate, and epic story of The Bounty and getting to the core of one of the most interesting stories of all time.

And a 30-something Clark Gable as a 20-something Englishman? My arse.
April 1, 2015
Starring Clark Gable, Charles Laughton and Franchot Tone. "Mutiny on the Bounty" still ranks as the greatest maritime adventure film of all time with its combination of thrilling action, tense dramatics and spectacular tropical locales. Although set in the late 18th century, the film's tale of a revolt against tyranny struck a chord with economically challenged audience members who often felt as trapped and oppressed as Captain Bligh's crew. Although its historical accuracy is questionable, the film remains the best screen rendition of what drove the crew of the H.M.S. Bounty to the historic mutiny in 1787. Along with his Henry VIII, Laughton's role as the villainous Captain Bligh remains his best-remembered screen performance. Directed by Frank Lloyd.