No Way Out - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

No Way Out Reviews

October 24, 2016
Very good film. I think this was the second time I've watched it but it was very good from start to finish and I managed to understand what was going on mostly
July 3, 2016
A smart thriller with plenty of suspense and a bizarre score.
½ June 20, 2016
The second half of the movie is truly enthralling and tense, whereas the film has its own flaws like the unconvincing romance between the main leads.
½ June 13, 2016
Doesn't hold up all too well but still entertaining if you can let that go. I thoroughly enjoyed the twist ending
May 31, 2016
Took awhile to get going but when it did this was awesome with a couple of swerves to keep you on your toes
½ March 19, 2016
No Way Out is one of those movies that'll get you in suspence. The theme song from No Way Out is pretty good also, and yeah, years ago I love this film since I watched it and the chase scenes are a lot of fun and the twist in the end really messes the audiences up. Other than that this is one of the favorite films of all time and Kevin Costner and Gene Hackman are good in it.
February 18, 2016
Solid mystery suspense yarn that put Costner on the map and proved he has star power and can play the thinking man's hero.
Gripping story, lavishly told.
February 15, 2016
Typical 80's thriller with a decent cast starring Costner and Hackman. I saw it years ago but didn't remember it well. Will Patton is also good in it. Small role for Iman, I forgot she acted some. Ok movie.
November 30, 2015
The first half of this movie was so boring that I was surprised that I was able to make it to all the way through. That being said, the second half of this movie is WAY better. I think this movie was a bit too long for the story that they were telling. Still, it ended very strong.
½ October 25, 2015
The power that backs a politician is a scary force, and 1987's "No Way Out," a thriller of intensity comparable only to Hitchcock (though not in terms of style), thunderously agitates its audience with the suspense of such an idea. It stars Kevin Costner as Tom Farrell, a Naval officer who, upon introduction, is being interrogated by the government for unknown reasons. Jump a few months back into the past and we meet him again as a respected lieutenant commander on leave, attending an inaugural ball. The party would be a bore if he didn't catch a glimpse of Susan Atwell (Sean Young), a minx with whom he takes home and begins having an affair with. Their chemistry is easy, convincing - and when it is discovered that she is the mistress of David Brice (Gene Hackman), the Secretary of Defense and Tom's boss, it is not a matter of jealousy but of time. They're in love, and Tom, young and confident, is more interested in marriage than reveling in ugly envy.
But such dreams are tragically cut short when Brice shows up at Susan's doorstep after a long weekend vacation with Tom. Demanding to know the identity of the man she was with, Brice grows steadily violent and inadvertently kills her in a jealous rage. He plans to turn himself in - but his moral ideas are marred by Scott Pritchard (Will Patton), his faithful assistant who decides it would be much smarter to construct a massive cover-up than face the downers of a life-destroying scandal.
Ironically, Tom is assigned to investigate the matter, unsure of which move to take. He did, in fact, see Brice enter Susan's home that fateful night. Trouble is, he was there only moments before he arrived - evidence could very well point to him. He has two options, neither of which make for a fitting serving of justice. Tom could either (1) blurt out the truth, only to have no one believe him and end up being accused himself, or (2) go along with the investigation as if he knows nothing, avoiding follow-ups of evidence that could lead to his arrest.
Aside from a score that sounds as if it were birthed by the same synth loving maestro that concocted the Lifetime-esque musical excitement of "The Pelican Brief," the thrills of "No Way Out" are abiding and taut, so tight that the tension appears to be snugly surrounded by a life-sized rubber band of turmoil. It could have easily worked as a romantic thriller, Costner and Young working as a believable couple attempting to run away from the influence of the mighty Hackman - and the way its steamy foundation pulls us in is a sign of a good thriller. We end up liking the leading characters a great deal more than we do in most films.
So when the ball drops and all hell breaks loose, "No Way Out" never lets up, every turn being a wrong turn, every action of the protagonist having to be extremely calculated in order to ensure his own safety. We are completely riveted, and Costner makes for a hero worth rooting for. Young's winning portrayal makes her death all the more sensitive, with Hackman jerking our emotions as a man left with no options, Patton a terrifying villain drunk with power. Few cinematic roller coasters barrel through our adrenaline valves the way "No Way Out" does: it is an essential '80s stunner.
September 10, 2015
Starts out as Drama, becomes a mystery then a full out thriller. No Way Out is that rare movie that you never knew existed and watch when you've no other option then realize how f**king good it is! I really didn't expect it to be this damn good.
August 2, 2015
Wow! I did not see that twist coming!! What a great film...gripping from the start and with fine performances from all, especially Costner who looks beyond hot!!
July 13, 2015
2015-07-13 nice twist at the end
½ July 1, 2015
Mediocre. 5.1/10. C.

The uneven storytelling and dull dialogue make it a very uninteresting movie, so even good direction cannot help.
½ June 26, 2015
95%
Viewed this on 26/6/15
No Way out is a smart, fast paced thriller about conspiracy and cover up that has fine performances from Kevin Costner and Will Patton. I think Will Patton was the most overlooked actor in this movie who is impeccable as the villain and friend of hero. Sean Young gives one of the better performances in her career. Gene Hackman is ok, but his performance is overrated because he isn't there on most of the film's duration. The film also packs an unexpected twist in the end. This is one of the finest films that I have seen recently.
½ April 9, 2015
The end was a bit of a stretch but this thriller had me going most of the way.
½ March 21, 2015
A remake that is as good/better than the original. A perfect 80s thriller.
½ February 9, 2015
Good movie wondering how it was all going to play out but the ending?? Way too fast and confusing and then the credits rolled. The ending should have been done alot differently.
February 6, 2015
Directed by Roger Donaldson (The Bounty (1984), Cocktail (1988) and Species (1995)), this thriller is based on a 1946 novel called The Big Clock by Kenneth Fearing, which was republished under the title of No Way Out in 1980. The film version is a very complex but exciting thriller where nothing is what is what it seems. It also has a very good cast and it keeps it's suspense and tautness up throughout. U.S. Navy Lieutenant Commander Tom Farrell (Kevin Costner) is given a job working for Secretary of Defense, David Brice (Gene Hackman) at the Pentagon. Meanwhile, he's been seeing Susan Atwell (Sean Young), who is seeing another man, who Farrell learns is Brice. In turn Brice learns that Susan is seeing another man, and he kills her in a jealous rage. Brice panics, and his General Counsel Scott Pritchard (Will Patton) decides to blame someone else, and Brice asks Farrell to lead the investigation as to who it could be, but Farrell knows this could implicate himself in the investigation, and when the Pentagon is under lockdown, Farrell finds himself under scrutiny. It's a very good film, and while a lot of thrillers from the 1980's tend to be dated, the only thing dated about this film are the computers and fashions, but the plot is well executed and it keeps the viewer guessing until the end. It shows what an underrated director Donaldson is, and he made loads of good films at the time.