Patrick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Patrick Reviews

August 4, 2016
Way overlong, way uneven spawn of the 1970's telekinesis fad.
July 9, 2016
Patrick belongs in the "Interesting film you've probably never seen category". It's a about a young man (played by a never blinking Robert Thompson) who is a comatose patient that mysteriously develops telekinetic powers. When his attractive new nurse (Susan Penhaligon) takes an unusual interest in him, Patrick falls in love with her and does his best Carrie imitation to cause all manner of troubles for anyone he is jealous of or that means to harm him. The cinematography and overall quality of the film transfer are excellent, and director Richard Franklin creates just enough creepy tension to keep you moving through the almost 2 hour running time. Featuring plot points that will seem vaguely familiar- a woman moving into a new apartment after separating from her husband, said husband trying to get her back, a bureaucratic humorless head nurse of a "private clinic", and a woman who sees sinister things occur that no one will believe when she tells them- Franklin and screenwriter Everett De Roche rarely veer into cheesiness, and they manage to mix in enough oddly humorous dialogue and head-scratching adult themes to keep savvy filmgoers interested. The Understated violence and only brief nudity will probably disappoint most modern blue collar horror fans, but Patrick provides adequate thrills and chills to surprise and entertain the rest of us.
August 15, 2014
low budget ozploitation film has a creepy feel without resorting to creepy shadows dutch angles etc gives it a sense of realism and a time capsule from 1978 sleazy elements throughout,forget about it if you dont want to see a live frog punctured through the brain
July 3, 2014
So, watched the original PG-rated flick after seeing the remake and while it is well-made and basically follows the same story... not to mention stars 70s Brit cutie Susan Penhaligon who I was crushing on as a kid after first seeing her in The Land That Time Forgot... it is basically very low key and works more in melodrama and subtlety with Patrick's (here Robert Thompson) moments of telekinesis being a lot more grounded and all done in camera. It was an interesting film and well acted but, I prefer the remake's more stylish and intense approach. The original was also very somber and humorless compared to the remake which had a more fun with it's premise.

So, in this case, while I am not fond of the horror remake trend, this is an example of a good one where the original isn't perfect and is expanded and improved upon in the redo.
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
April 29, 2014
For this film see review of Patrick: Evil Awakens (2013).
bbcfloridabound
January 7, 2014
The later 70's saw a handful of films about people with psychic powers, but this little-known thriller from Australia may just be the most unique of them all.

Nurse comes under the spell of her seemingly comatose patient, whose intense psychic powers are menacing the people around her.

Patrick is a bizarre, yet oddly moving film that benefits strongly from its off-beat and ultimately unpredictable story. It's a tale that manages to side-step clichés to become not only a brooding chiller, but a weird love story as well. There's an occasional good bit of suspense and shock that keeps the tension high. The story also possesses a strange sense of the erotic. Granted, the plot is a bit slow in pace but Richard Franklin's direction and a good cast help to carry it well.

Star Susan Penhaligon does a throughly good performance as the films heroine/victim. Rod Mulliner is good as Penhaligon's troubled husband, as is Bruce Barry as her boyfriend. Robert Thompson is also a stand-out as the films menacing title character. Even though Thompson spends most of the film lying in silence he still conveys a threatening presence, he's just that good of an actor.

For those seeking a left-field thriller that's thoughtfully well done, Patrick may just be your date
November 20, 2013
Points for creating a murderer that does nothing but stare blankly in a hospital bed, but the whole thing never got very engaging, except for maybe one of the typewriter scenes.
June 13, 2013
Excellent suspense thriller from Hitchcock devote Richard Franklin. Filmed in and around South Yarra, Melbourne, that hospital is still there! Deserves a better rating on here.
½ April 19, 2013
I heard so many great things about this and at the end of the day, when I finally saw it I'm sorry to say it just didn't live up to the hype. I've noticed a trend in most of the 70s/80s aussie horror/exploitation movies I've seen and, that is that they're all extremely slow and boring with a few good scenes here and there. This was no exception and I mean even the "good" scenes in this were only so so. Not very scary or suspenseful, the best thing about this would have to be the music and the charming main female lead. Besides those two things this movie is extremely dull and slow moving, and I found myself hating most of the characters in this whole movie. I especially wanted to punch patrick in the face half the time and found the whole character just very annoying. The atmosphere in this is somewhat creepy and the mood of the whole movie works every now and then. Overall a very boring slow moving Aussie suspense movie.
April 8, 2013
Australia jumped on board the horror film bandwagon of the late 70's and produced a slew of films to be distributed to drive-in theaters. Though most are forgotten a little film called "Patrick" was a modest hit and though a slow moving thriller, has enough scenes to make it memorable. Hell it worked on my mom as the ending was burned in her memory and thus she recommended it to me, her bastard horror film buff son.

We open with Patrick brutally murdering his mother and lover in a bathtub (these psychos always have mommy issues) which somehow puts him into a braindead coma. Now we get introduced to a young nurse accepting a job at a hospital specializing with coma patients and becomes found of our bug-eyed Patrick. The kicker is that Patrick isn't braindead and becomes obsessed with our young nurse and uses his psychic abilities to harm and kill anyone he becomes jealous with.

It's hard to make an exciting film where our antagonist is in a comatose state and never leaves a bed but the filmmakers do the best they can to liven the film up with some interesting kills. Still the film falls victim to its motionless killer and tends to drag a bit and overstays its welcome a hair. As for most of the victims director Richard Franklin does his best to make most of them absolutely despicable. Seriously he loads this film up with cunts and assholes to help the audience cheer on Patrick to bury them all 6 feet under. If I lived in a world where everyone was this mean and cruel then I would just eat the end of a shotgun barrel and call it good.

They fella they picked to play Patrick was perfect. This guy's eyes will star deep into your soul and shit in your heart. For a character that doesn't do much, Robert Thompson sure made him memorable. Hell his hilarious spitting and unibrow will make you cream your pants. But it's his eyes.... HIS EYES that will burn their way into the bowels of your mind forever. I also loved our lead actress Susan Penhaligon , whom I had previously seen in the British horror film "House of Mortal Sin". She's just cute as a button and all the characters in the film tend to agree as both her ex-husband, a doctor and our title coma patient seem to stop at anything to get her.

By today's standards "Patrick" may be a little tame and the plot is rather slow moving. However the good acting and solid directing keeps the film trucking along and there are enough memorable scenes (including a jump scare ending) to make it worth watching. Audiences tended to agree and Patrick proved to be very successful in Europe, so much so that an unofficial Italian sequel titled "Patrick Still Lives" got made. That film has a completely interesting background all its own...
TheDudeLebowski65
½ February 16, 2013
Australian Sci Fi horror film that has hints of previous genre films is an obscured gem that has an interesting premise despite formulaic ideas. Patrick is a tense, thrilling film that relies on effective visuals to build up the tension on-screen. Director Richard Franklin direction is immaculate and precise, and he understands how to build up the tension to make the viewer feel uneasy. Acting wise, the cast give some pretty good performances and bring something special to the screen. There are some truly intense scenes that are quite chilling, and this is one of the most surprising obscured gems in the genre. Horror fans owe it to themselves to see Patrick as it is a well crafted film that has enough chills to keep you interested from start to finish. The idea is quite intriguing and director Richard Franklin brings a certain Hitchcock feel to the movie that makes it quite unnerving. The actors are quite good in their parts and a performance of note is that of Robert Thompson as the title character. He speaks a word, and only acts using facial expressions. I enjoyed the film very much and I recommend this one to any horror fan that enjoyed such films as Carrie. This picture uses telekinesis as a plot device and it works well despite the fact that it is something that we've seen before. Patrick is an obscured gem of a film that deserves to be rediscovered by genre fans. With a good cast, an interesting story and effective chilling moments, Patrick is one of the best films in the Aussie genre of films. If you're in the right mood, you're sure to like this one. This is one of the few films that have something for every horror fan. Even with borrowed elements of other movies, director Richard Franklin creates something unique with this film, and in the process makes one of the most memorable of all Aussie horror films. The film has its flaws, but is thrilling from beginning to end.
December 22, 2012
Madness from down under
August 12, 2012
Bra. LÄngsam, vÀlgjord och smÄlÀskig.Men nu blev jag sugen pÄ att se om Patrick Still Lives...sÄ jag gör det nu.
½ May 19, 2012
Creepy and Satisfying--Aussie chiller!!
December 6, 2011
A well-made Aussie horror flik. Robert Thompson's performance is....interestingly effective.
November 30, 2011
PATRICK IS AWESOME; SEE IT TODAY!!!!
Patrick.

When PATRICK was a first-run movie on Home Box Office, I said, "but Grandma, Patrick is rated PG." Grandma said, "Well, Gordy, it's a STRONG PG; don't watch it."
My mom and Grandma won the GORDON-SEEING-PATRICK-ON HOME-BOX-OFFICE-BATTLE that afternoon.

When I finally got around to seeing PATRICK on HARMONY VISION home video (the same videocassette company to release THE HILLS HAVE EYES back in 1982), I found out why Grandma was so adamant about not allowing me to see PATRICK That Afternoon back in 1980.

PATRICK, the titular character, lies in a hospital bed, yet can manipulate the typewriter at his bedside with his mind.

Repeatedly PATRICK asks his nurse to give him a hand-job throughout the film. And PATRICK'S NURSE actually obliges and reaches under PATRICK'S bed-covers and gives PATRICK hand-jobs throughout the film. (The nurse ma'''tur'''tes PATRICK because PATRICK is paralyzed and in a coma yet still feel horny obviously).

So, I guess PATRICK is a "Strong-PG movie" for a 9 year old kid to see while visiting his grandmother in Scarsdale, New York-9 year old kids shouldn't know about nurses giving patients hand-jobs.

When PATRICK'S NURSE'S boss walks-in on her giving PATRICK a hand-job, he forbids the nurse to see PATRICK ever again.

Yet, PATRICKS'S mind is very strong and can leave the hospital and follow his nurse where-ever she goes; when the nurse goes skinny-dipping in a pool with her boyfriend PATRICK tries to drown them both with his mind (its TEKE-KINESIS PATRICK has mastered . . . between being mast'''urb''ted by his hand-job giving nurse) ha ha ha ha ;
mastered vs. mastur--ed.

Basically this is all I remember . . . but PATRICK is indeed an AWESOME MOVIE!!!!!

And there's a soft-core adult film entitled PATRICK LIVES AGAIN as a quasi-sequel produced by some Italians.

PATRICK ROCKS even though I don't remember much of it!!!!!!
½ August 30, 2011
WrenchLT
½ July 19, 2011
Carrie-esque Aussie-horror about a comatose hospital patient named Patrick who has lost as his senses but to compensate he has developed dangerous psychokinesis powers which he uses to win the affections of his newly oppointed nurse. I enjoyed this one, quite good fun. Very low body count so it's quite tame, but it's effectively made and an entertaining little ride. The last 30 minutes are the best. Worth a look.
½ June 27, 2011
There's enough mood in this supernatural Australia Horror film to keep us watching, but not enough genuine thrills to make much of an impression