Red Dawn - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red Dawn Reviews

September 21, 2016
4/5. One of the most patriotic movies ever made, and a fantastic war movie. It makes you really hate war, but love America, and want to shout WOLVERINES!
September 5, 2016
Reaganin ajan toimintaklassikko!
August 14, 2016
Quite possibly the worst movie ever to come out of a major studio. It's so easy just to complain about the most ridiculous plot in history, but that would ignore the horrible pacing and wooden acting. Whoever thought this movie deserved a remake should be working a drive-thru window about now.
½ August 1, 2016
Red Dawn (1984) C-114m. ? 1/2 D: John Milius. Patrick Swayze, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen. Prose is plenty in this incredibly violent film--first ever to receive a PG-13 rating--about teenagers who defend themselves from invading communists. Good idea, actors wasted in show-offy posturing; non-stop action isn't always a plus. Remade in 2012.
July 27, 2016
Red Dawn poses a interesting, and somewhat disturbing, scenario that doesn't really lead to a very interesting film, at least not with how this one is executed. The cast is alright, but their performances and dialog leave much to be desired. The movie drags, and feels gloomy throughout. Parts of it are exciting, yet something about it doesn't hold up.
July 16, 2016
How could anybody give this an average rating of 4.8? The acting, the writing, the directing, the scene errors, and the sheer unbelievability of everything isn't even worth a cult. Yuck!
June 27, 2016
It's mediocre despite it's cult status.
May 17, 2016
Thought this was an awesome movie
½ May 13, 2016
Silly, unrealistic, and a conservative wet dream.
April 10, 2016
Entertaining WW3 drama.

Russia launches a surprise attack on and invasion of the USA. A small town in Colorado experiences this first hand when Russian paratroopers land in the town and quickly take it over. A small group of teenagers from the local high school, calling themselves the Wolverines, manage to escape into the mountains and start to fight back.

Quite entertaining. Yes, it was made during the Cold War so is a tad propagandic and, some might say, dated. However, it is still relevant today to a degree, due to Vladimir Putin doing his utmost to restart the Cold War. Always good to see the Ruskies get their rear ends kicked.

Much grittier than I imagined. Being centred around teens and thus aimed at teens I imagined it would pull its punches and present a Disneyised version of war, complete with empty sentimentality and idealised versions of honour, chivalry and the like. Was pleasantly surprised to see that it didn't go down this path. The scene with the prisoner and the traitor rams that point home.

Plot is a bit basic and direction more focused on action than drama, so the movie is certainly no Citizen Kane. However, it has great momentum and is never dull.

Main cast includes many stars-to-be: Patrick Swayze, Charlie Sheen, Jennifer Grey (in her second feature film), Lea Thompson and C Thomas Howell. Swayze does well but is a bit miscast, looking to old for his part. Turns out, that, while his character is 18 or so, Swayze was 32!

Supporting cast includes Harry Dean Stanton, Powers Boothe and William Smith.

Good fun.
March 28, 2016
Just stupid anti-soviet propaganda.
March 21, 2016
commie reviewers are sad. Their favorite people (Soviets) not portrayed as angelic utopians. So cheesy, but so awesome.

In WW3, Russians will only travel one truck at a time. And the US will offer zero armed resistance.

what the us army couldnt do...the wolverines could.
lot of new equipment they pick up for ppl living in forests.

Not the most cohesive narrative, and the attempt at character development was mostly a fail. Very little pathos. But, heck... fun to watch. If for no other reason, how much it must piss off commies, er, Democrats. Implausible. Great idea for a movie, though.
½ February 27, 2016
It's not one of my favorite classic action films, and I don't much care for the episodic pacing, but John Milius directed this movie with such sure handedness that it's hard not to crack a smile.

Great action sequences that actually feel dangerous, an A-list cast of '80s heartthrobs, and a talented director at the helm. What's not to like?
February 19, 2016
Well written movie. Great characters with amazing acting abilities. It shows you anyone can help save a nation. It's sad but outstanding.
January 28, 2016
What happens when The Breakfast Club takes on a Soviet invasion? Red Dawn of course. This is an adolescent film that I first watched as an adolescent. The interesting thing about this film is that it takes the bold attempt of portraying what it may be like if the Soviets in fact did attempt to invade America. Fun if you're in the mood for teen Swayze fare.
January 17, 2016
The critics gave this a rather low score in , why I don't know, it was very well made and prolific. Our boarders are now open, Cubans, Mexicans and maybe ISIS pouring into our country. "Red Dawn" not so far fetched, hug?
½ December 12, 2015
I remember seeing this movie when it first came out when I was 19 years . it was the first pg-13 movie and I was excited to see it at first. however it was so violent from beginning to end and come to find out it was rated as the most violent movie per minute ever made in the Guinness Book of World Records. I really hated this movie and the images stayed with me for a long time after I saw it. I definitely do not recommend this movie!
December 2, 2015
This movie is stupid! Never in a million year would teenager from the mid west would be able to fully kill this many Russian and Cuban soldiers with out being caught, or killed! Never would they be able to steal weapons, or automatically know how to use the more complex ones with injuring themselves! And them more they do this the more people they know they kill because the enemy soldiers are just lining them up and shooting them. Their are to many subtitles! Finally all around this would have never happened and this is the most unrealistic thing ever!
½ September 8, 2015
Pretty scary, and it looks like we might be on the brink of WWIII, and most people don't even know it!
July 28, 2015
Disappointing to a fault, Red Dawn is an exaggerated WWIII epic that makes absolutely no sense