The Red Shoes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Red Shoes Reviews

½ September 6, 2016
Walbrook and Shearer are absolutely fantastic in this dazzling visual spectacle that boasts an astounding art direction and cinematography in Technicolor - and in which the theater stage can assume unimaginable, magical proportions thanks especially to phenomenal editing.
July 10, 2016
Though pretty much perfect for most of its length, it did start to lose me in the third act, particularly when the undercooked romance suddenly started happening. There's just no groundwork laid for it, these two characters who've barely interacted are now in love, and it's just assumed the audience will accept that fact. And the conflict between her art and her love cited in all the plot synopses isn't introduced literally until the (pretty bad) ending. Everything in the first two acts is so fucking good, it's really a shame it turns to eye-rolling melodrama towards the end.
May 26, 2016
Pure Technicolor Magic.
½ April 24, 2016
Not a subject that I can relate to in any way but, it has been recommended so I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't like it. It's a boring story of a ginger bird's career in ballet and a couple of geezers who are both into her romantically pulling her in different directions.
½ April 21, 2016
The visuals are genius. The acting, especially from Walbrook, is excellent. Some of the visual effects are unbelievably good, especially for 1948. A great film.
April 6, 2016
April 6, 2016
March 19, 2016
Cut-glass English accents, wonderful music and costumes, and some of the most beautiful dance sequences in cinema. Perfect for a lazy Saturday afternoon.
February 15, 2016
A flawless and beautiful masterpiece.
January 17, 2016
Groundbreaking dance film by Powell & Pressburger is a riot of Technicolor and production design, with lovely Shearer in the lead role; an inspiration for countless dancers and choreographers.
½ January 12, 2016
Lavish, breathtaking cinematography and visuals combined with a dark and depthy story about the allure and danger of ambition.
December 11, 2015
She can be the world's greatest dancer, as long as ignores human nature. A beautifully tragic fairy tale about life imitating art. There is only room for one great love, and the two will rip her asunder. A timeless cautionary tale with imagery that burns into your brain.
December 3, 2015
This is an awesome film! It's a fascinating take on behind the scenes ballet, and includes one of the greatest dance scenes ever put to film. Powell and Pressburger achieved something that could not be done with cinema or ballet alone!
September 28, 2015
This is a masterpiece! Flat out.. The Red Shoes is amazing.. This is 3 Strip Technicolor at its finest.. But aside from the amazing eye candy.. There are some incredible acting performances.. In some ways Boris seemed like a gangster.. His performance was flawless.. This film is a work of art.. Thanks to the hard work of Scorcese and many others this film has been restored to all its glory and I must say it truly is beautiful. If you have a bluray player you have to see the Red Shoes bluray .
½ September 21, 2015
The part that was backstage hustle and bustle and 'showing you what it's really like' was fun. The psychedelic horror ballet was intriguing but also tiresome. What do you say? Would it make a good pairing with Suspiria, and maybe toss in The Black Swan for good measure.

Pursuing the movies in Danny Peary's book Cult Movies. His take on this movie added a lot of interpretation that I hadn't arrived at, and I think the idea that Boris might not have been portrayed as a villain and her drive to put dance ahead of love might have been portayed as valid reminded me that even though it's very unlike Hollywood's movies of the time, it's also very like them. Glad I'd read that there was a 20 minute ballet embedded in the movie before I watched it.
July 11, 2015
WOW. If you haven't seen this movie, definitely see it, especially if you love dance.
½ June 18, 2015
A rising ballet star (Moira Shearer) finds herself torn between the demands of an obstinate magnate (Anton Walbrook) and the romantic trappings of an idealistic composer (Marius Goring). Her struggles are framed around a ballet rendition of Hans Christian Anderson's The Red Shoes; the theme of this fairy tale has obvious parallels to the lives of the people performing it. Contemporary audiences consider The Red Shoes to be a "classy grandparent" to Black Swan, but this film is best remembered for its gorgeous color photography, incisive score, and a hallucinatory dance sequence for the ages. Its aesthetics rival the technicolor delights of The Wizard Of Oz or Gone With The Wind, but The Red Shoes is also worth watching for the incisive performances of its principle actors.
May 9, 2015
One of the most perfect movies ever
May 2, 2015
Impeccably mounted and featuring some of the most stunningly gorgeous visuals ever put to film, "The Red Shoes" is the quintessential film about the need for artistic perfection, and rightfully so; it's practically perfect itself.
April 1, 2015