The Warriors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Warriors Reviews

April 14, 2018
street gang film, gritty, moves fast, engaging,great use of photography and suspense. it is a peculiar movie, and some have criticized it for its glorified violence, but the reality is that turf tribal and male aggression are inherit part of the human experience as is gang violence. it seems to me that this is a kind of quest movie as the warriors attempt to make it home through various obstacles. while an intriguing story, the end of the quest is left a bit ambiguous.
April 2, 2018
This movie was not quite what I expected it to be. I had always heard about it because of its cult classic status, but what I found was something that I didn't really care for. It's almost like a musical, but with no dancing. I can see why people like it because of all the different costumes and what not. It's just not my cup of tea.
March 14, 2018
Legendary movie and cult classic. One of the greats.
January 31, 2018
Ok maybe I missed something? I'm not quite sure about the cult status for this. It's a decent film with a young cast, and probably quite different at the time it was made. However it has a very simple plot, less fighting than I expected and a bit repetitive. I liked the almost comic "uniforms" for the different gangs, some of the fight scenes are pretty good, but overall I was expecting a lot more.
½ January 12, 2018
How do you review a movie like The Warriors? I've got a real short way for ya: The Warriors is the best movie of the 1970s.
November 30, 2017
The movie was entertaining though the story and setting i felt could have been better built. The style is interesting and the direction is well done.
I found the characters to be a bit lacking and some of the things that happen to them are not well explained. The fight scenes are good but there's really only two big ones for a movie like this i expected there to be more and the gangs they fight to be a bit more interesting. Could have been better if it had Russell Crowe
November 24, 2017
I have enjoyed watching this film ever since it was introduced to me back in high school. The film has a unique style and while it is simplistic at heart story wise, it is light years ahead of a lot of modern films. Walter Hill crafted what is one of the greatest cult films ever made, the relentless dark tone and the threat at any moment. I caught this on the big screen last night and you must admit the brilliance of a film with care and ambition. You could see this being remade but the setting must stay the same, it would struggle to convert into the modern era. I would ignore the directors cut version and thankfully it was not the version they played and I managed to find the original DVD as well. This is a film you watch with your son when they are old enough, just a cool film that has lived on from the original negative perception. You could only wish Hollywood could revert back to this style of filmmaking. 24-11-2017.
September 16, 2017
The Warriors are a red leather vest (with no shirt) wearing 1970s street gang from Coney Island who travel to Central Park where one powerful gang leader wants to unite all the gangs of New York City. Can you dig it? The plan fails immediately when someone shoots the leader and then blames The Warriors for the assassination. Our heroes then have to fight every gang between Central Park and Coney Island in order to get home. Gangs include the bat wielding Baseball Furies, the school bus riding Turnbull AC's, the all-girl Lizzies, the overall-wearing Punks, Chinatown's Savage Huns, and many, many, more awesomely costumed and colorful gangs. This film is likely one of my desert island films, as in, if I were trapped on a deserted island and could only take ten films with me, what films would they be? For such a list, you might not jump to Ingmar Bergman or other heady fare, but might rather seek pure escapist entertainment, and that is exactly what this film excels in. "The Warriors" is a film that I have lost all objectivity on. I don't know how many times I've watched it and can probably quote almost every line. I love the film's gritty, grimy 1970s pre-Giuliani NYC feel. It's not necessarily a realistic representation of the city, as was "The French Connection," but is a comic book version that is utterly enthralling. "The Warriors" was notorious at the time of it's release for incidents of gang violence breaking out in the theaters, which were attributed to the level of violence in the film. Though the violence is comparatively tame by todays standards, it none-the-less remains wildly exciting even by modern standards. Action sequences don't get much better than James Remar taking on a face-painted Baseball Fury, or the subway bathroom fight, or the shootout at the Lizzie's hideout. Producer/writer/director Walter Hill knows his way around an action sequence better than most directors and those talents are on full display here. The film has a deceptively simple story, but Hill gives the film an epic feel that I'd argue taps into Greek mythology, much like Odysseus as he faced his series of trials on his long journey home (no, really, I think it's there). Michael Beck is terrific as the leader of The Warriors (actually the Lieutenant, who's forced to take over after their leader is killed), as is the always great James Remar in his first of several appearances in Hill films. No review would be complete without mentioning David Patric Kelly as the crazed leader of The Rogues, who clinks his glass bottles together and sings his creepy chant, "Warriors, come to plaaaayyyyyyy." Look fast for Mercedes Ruehl as a policewoman in a park scene and Debra Winger on a subway in another. Taking place entirely within one night, the film never slows, has an amazing soundtrack and an even better filmscore by Barry De Vorzon, and features gorgeously photography of a gritty yet comic book version of a crime ridden NYC. "The Warriors" is an undeniable classic that in my mind cannot be improved upon. I think I now want to buy the old PS2 video game version of the movie, that featured a good number of the original cast. If you haven't seen this film, do yourself a favor and go see it immediately!
½ September 16, 2017
After a lifetime of not watching The Warriors yet constantly being reminded of it's existence, I decided to take a ride in 2017. The chief catalyst for my viewing was being reminded that it was in fact the awesome David Patrick Kelly who played the villainous Luther in his debut film role, and screeched the iconic "Warriors... come out and playyyayyy!". So on I watched, and thoughts were formed. The Warriors is well made & entertaining- that's my report card for it. On a side note I was shocked by the raging misogyny and the oddness of the homophobia coming from dudes wearing such objectively homoerotic gear. James Remar's character sexually assaults two women and is somehow treated as one of the "good guys". Maybe the asshole of the good guys, but still shocking nonetheless. I can't believe I was alive when this came out. Not quite a year old, but alive enough to watch it for the first time 38 years later and feel some retroactive revulsion. Aside from the macho rapey shit, top marks. Hey that's the guy from "Xanadu"! I bet he hates hearing that.
September 13, 2017
The gangs, the outfits and fights. This was a good movie
August 10, 2017
I love this movie. I have loved this movie since I was younger. I think what made me first love this movie was the unqiue story. Yes, I do call it unique. For what it turned out to be from the book.....I'd say this is pretty well done. Pretty easy to follow plot and such. The atmosphere adds a nice touch throughout. I really had no problems with the acting, thought it was actually pretty good. I will make a suggestion though, avoid the directors cut. Also, I must give points to the movie since it used the area it was based on and also using locals, think that should count for something! For a "gang" it does not focus that much on violence overall.
April 24, 2017
caaaaaaaan yoooooouu diiiig iiiittt. Damn, I love this film. Simple story, Run & fight.
April 2, 2017
Cheesy but it was okay. C
March 23, 2017
Great Acting, Period
March 13, 2017
Great flick. Nothing else to say.
March 11, 2017
You Warriors are good. Real good.
March 6, 2017
As rebellious movies go it's not rapturous but saying that it throws in the odd pop art moment. A simple story but which alludes to old warrior battles from ancient times and can be just the sane as today and it's compelling enough to hold attention, the direction is great and the actors do a pretty decent job. Certainly worth watching.
February 4, 2017
Best gang film ever.
February 2, 2017
Even though there are some tedious slower moments and the constant running around can grow wearisome at times this is still a solid crime action film that has plenty of great fight scenes that are well choreographed coupled with strong stunts, the score/soundtrack is excellent, the cast are all convincing, I like the different styles of the gangs and even though the plot is relatively barebones it still gets across plenty of themes and has a great many iconic moments.
December 16, 2016
This movie is a cult classic that has no stoppage in action. The characters are the best part of the whole film, I say this because each character has their specified personality and role in the gang.