The Warriors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Warriors Reviews

August 15, 2016
This movie shouldn't work - the acting is terrible, the action is silly, and the dialogue reads like it was written in HS Freshman English. And yet, it has the perfect level of campiness to be fun without being stupid. At a taut 90 minutes, it doesn't overstay its welcome.
½ August 4, 2016
A summit of various inner city street gangs is stopped cold by the assassination of its keynote speaker. The Warriors are framed for the slaying and they're forced to make their way home through hostile territory as every gang banger in the city is after their heads. Loosely based on Xenophon's epic Anabasis, The Warriors is an enduring cult film due to its frank depictions of sex, violence, gang life, and the cheap thrills that fiction writers divine out of such factors. While the movie does have some stilted dialogue and some amateurish acting in spots, I can readily see the pulpy appeal that has turned The Warriors into a surprise hit with lasting pop cultural relevance. It also doesn't hurt that its climax is preceded by one of the most quotable lines that an actor has ever ad libbed.
August 4, 2016
best gang movie ever! from start to finish it gets more ridiculus with the outfits and script. its hard to beleive they were gonna do a re-make... fuck that shit.. how can you improve on this? oh and David Patrick Kelly is a blinding gang leader!

p.s i watched the directors cut which differed from the original with some cool comic book transitions.
½ July 10, 2016
This cult classic isn't all that special, but it has its moments.
July 10, 2016
I can't believe I saw this 30 years after it was made! Classic 80's! This movie is as sampled as Blade Runner!

The blueprint for movies like Sin City!
June 25, 2016
It's rare to find films that hold up from the 70's that don't have some star-power behind them- but this is one of those.
Tight, visual, and epic storytelling. Watch the original if you can - the new release has some corny presentation style scene transitions.
May 30, 2016
I saw the film because of the cult it's developed. I was disappointed to say the least. It's a film of consistency, that is certain. THE RUNNING MAN CHALLENGE. I believe this film could be re-visited and done much better, today.
May 26, 2016
Starts out with a great 'gathering' montage of all the NYC gangs and never lets up. Great premise and typically stylish Walter Hill direction. A total of 21 gangs are named, with the best being the Orphans, the Furies and the Lizzies. Classic.
May 22, 2016
The film is a cult status. I really enjoy this film from the dirty and gritty look of it to the music. Which the music plays a great part of the movie, like the fight scene with the baseball furies. In the fight theirs no dialogue from the furies just music. Each fight has its own twist where you can learn about each gang because there all different. The Director did a great job with the gangs and the development and keeping the fight scenes fresh. The bathroom fight is one of my personal favorites in all of cinema. The love story is extremely deep and heart felt, which is really unheard of in action films of recent years. The prom couple scene show this perfectly with no music or dialogue just body language. The Director understands action, use of music, and dialogue when to use and when not to use it.
A film I wish would get more appreciation.
May 17, 2016
When it comes to B movies, most of them are straightforward and forgettable, but some of them have managed to go beyond that and earn a cult following as years go by, and a perfect example of this is statement is "The Warriors".
New York City is filled with gangs, each having its own characteristics based upon the area they come from. The Warriors is a gang from Coney Island, this gang is summoned in a meeting of all the important gangs of the city, by order of the leader of the most powerful gang of them all, The Riffs. In this meeting, a shooting starts thus stranding this clan outside of their territory and this begins a journey where The Warriors need to return to their home.
When someone describes a film as a B movie mixup of "West Side Story" meets "A Clockwork Orange", you immediately have my attention as I am always interested in B movies that became cult classics and I adore "A Clockwork Orange", and back when I saw "The Warriors" for the first time I was surprised it wasn't the movie I expected but I wasn't disappointed either. "The Warriors" has everything thatīs mandatory for a B movie: Deadpan acting, cheap looking costumes, a forced and laughable romance, a nonsensical story, characters that are so forgettable that you don't even know their names, dialog that can be awkward or laughable at times, and action that shows were the budget was spent. With all that being said, you could be wondering how this film achieved that cult following, and the answer is director Walter Hill. He perfectly creates a world thatīs so creative and fun that you don't mind that the characters are dull and the story is nonsense, you just want to see what will be the next obstacle The Warriors will face as they are shot with such style. The synth score is just mesmerizing (sure, it is extremely dated and feels like a Clockwork rip-off but still works and its so much fun to listen to), the fights are well choreograph, the characters may be forgettable but the way they react and interact with each other are perfect for this bizarrely fun world, the costumes may look cheap but they are creative and overall become the characters, and overall this film is extremely fun, which is the main goal of a B movie.
On a side note, the inclusion of a comic book style for the change of scenes are awkward at first but they actually fit the style of this film, the only issue is that it doesn't merged naturally as the film itself looks old and raw but the comic book illustration look clean and from a different era, but still give them credit for the idea.
"The Warriors" is a B movie that deserves its cult status as it is by no means a great film (people can even argue it is not good at all) but it is stylized fun that will suck you into this world and will keep you there for its entire running time. One of the most entertaining and memorable B movies you can find and one of my personal favorites.
May 13, 2016
THE Greatest movie ever to grace this Earth. Saw it for the first time when I was 4 years old, and it has been a huge part of my life ever since. Creating friendships, solidifying pre-existing friendships and keeping me entertained through life's hardest challenges. 10/10 - Perfect film.
May 11, 2016
Goddamn I love this movie!! It doesn't get much better than this for me. I hate that only the "Directors cut" is available now, but oh well, it's still great as is.
½ May 6, 2016
Great fun. The script is sparse, and the world we see never leaves the world of the gangsters-there's no outside, civilized part of the world in this film. Even the cops are just a rival gang, just a bunch storm troopers out to get some action like the rest of the gangs.
½ April 26, 2016
Warriors, Come Out to Play!!! Walter Hill put together a blockbuster. The film was ONE BIG turf war that takes place in New York City. The street gang's are taking over Coney Island and have extended to the Bronx. The Warriors have been framed for the death of the gang leader. If you're a fan of GANG films this is a home run classic! The style of The Warriors was very unique and for the most part it was perfect.
½ April 23, 2016
What a hokey movie! Most laughable movie of all times! These "gangs" couldn't have been more unbelievable if they'd been the Brady Bunch.
½ April 16, 2016
Dated, but never the less a captivating hour and a half.
½ April 16, 2016
Not sure if people celebrating this film are being 'ironic'. It's a shit film.
April 10, 2016
My dad had been trying to get me to watch this for years and wow. Excellent!
April 4, 2016
The Warriors is the type of movie that is fun to watch with friends, but watching it alone for sake of a cinematic experience makes it seem like a very dumb movie. It is unrealistic, the ending doesn't make much sense, and it is slightly outdated.
March 27, 2016
The plot to this movie is very simple if you think about, a gang from Cony island goes to the Bronx to meet the leader of the biggest gang in New York, the leader is killed and The Warriors are blamed for it and they have to get back to Cony island before they get caught and possibly killed. It's just a simple chase movie but it finds a way to be very original and unique.