Husbands and Wives - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Husbands and Wives Reviews

September 22, 2016
A vintage drop of Woody.
September 11, 2016
Built on the same template as Bergman's 'Scenes from a Marriage', only more comical and intelligent as with all Woody Allen dramas. But this one is one of the weakest. The conversations seemed mostly artificial and forced.
August 11, 2016
A very well done emotional train wreck, if that is your cop of tea. Don't get me wrong, I am an idiot but I knew enough to steer clear of these emotional midgets.
June 15, 2016
Woody Allen's quasi-docudrama about the trials and tribulations of marriage and relationships. Allen and his ex-wife Mia Farrow play a married couple who's closest friends announce that they are separating. In the end their friends get back together and it is the Allen and Farrow characters who end up divorcing (a foreshadowing of Allen's real life?) Most of the movie is told in a series of interviews of the main characters by a therapist.
April 1, 2016
Husbands and Wives is a good film. It is a professor and his wife discover the faults in their own marriage after their best friends announce they're separating. Woody Allen and Mia Farrow give decent performances. The script is a little slow in places. Woody Allen did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the romance and humor.
½ January 17, 2016
Good experiment for Woody.
½ January 10, 2016
Totally intolerable endless jabbering.
½ November 23, 2015
A fascinating character study which is lighter on the humour and gives an insight into these relationships that at times is uncomfortable viewing.
October 26, 2015
Two detailed stories that cross into each other.
September 19, 2015
Definitely Woody Allen's best drama he's ever made and a strong challenger to Annie Hall as his all time best. Allen, Pollack, Lewis, Davis, and Anthony are the stand outs here rounded out a terrific ensemble that also featured Mia Farrow, Blythe Danner, and Liam Neeson. The screenplay is so poetic and smart make it certainly Allen's richest screenplay in his career. I loved the way it was filmed and you could really feel the tension of the movie with the current events at that time in Allen and Farrow's life but made it even stronger of a movie. I loved this movie. One of the best of 1992
½ September 11, 2015
Using documentary style cinematography, Woody Allen explores the destruction of two married couples in Husbands and Wives. The result is an emotional, and sometimes just uncomfortable movie about relationships and expectations. By using the documentary style interviews and camera work, you feel as if you're in the room with people as they are arguing or reacting, and the monologues don't seem out of place. The result is a movie in which Sydney Pollack and Judy Davis entirely steal the show, for a bitter look at married life and problems that can occur with compatibilities.
September 6, 2015
At the time of its release, it was very difficult to separate this film from Allen's separation from Mia and his relationship with Soon-Yi, especially with its themes of divorce and relationships with much younger women. Seen today, this is one of his strongest films of the 90s ... a bit of a masterpiece of awkward, dark comedy. Judy Davis in particular is brilliant. I can't say I like the faux documentary aspect of the film though. It seems like a pointless distraction.
July 17, 2015
This movie struck me like actors workshhop or in the case of Woody Allen writers workshop or maybe a relationship psychodrama rather than a pseudo docudrama.
½ July 7, 2015
This movie is very, very different from some of Woody Allen's other movies. Not really a comedy but it's serious and kinda hard to watch at time. Good performances just not as good as some of his other movies. I liked it though.
½ June 13, 2015
Just when you think you hit the bottom of the film, it ends up being a little more deeper than you thought. Its sit down interview style is unexpected, but appreciated, as it adds to the movie's realism.
May 10, 2015
At times it feels almost too intimate. Given what we all know was going on in the lives of Allen and Farrow, one can't help but feel we are peeking into their own private dysfunction. Deeply cynical and incredibly funny. The only aspect of this film I'm not enthralled by is the cinematography. The whole cinema verite styling gets a bit old after the first 20 minutes, but the wit more than make up for that. This film features Judy Davis' best performance.
May 10, 2015
One of Allen's most hilarious and brilliant films. The cinema verite style was a challenge for him, but he keeps things grounded with fully-developed characters, clearly inspired by Bergman's Scenes from a Marriage. It is amazing how well it holds up today.
February 22, 2015
Looks like it might be entertaining!